Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Samoyds. Do you own them or know anybody who does?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Acacia86, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi all, i am curious (or nosey lol!) to know who owns samoyds or knows anybody that does? My mum had 3, snowy, dylan and jake. Snowy and dylan passed away soon after my 1st birthday but jake remained until he was re-homed when i was 4 to a lovely lady that also had a dalmatian. He was only 6 :( i have always loved the breed but have never thought of owning one. I have been researching for a long time breeds (st bernard, great dane, leonberger, mastiff to name a few) because i am looking at getting a puppy either next year or now the year after. (I keep going back to st bernards and leonbergers) I can't decide so i'll keep researching. I'm also trying to find dogs of these breeds to spend time with of all ages. Talking to trainers etc. But after finally getting my photo of jake blown up and framed (i still can't believed he was re-homed) these beautiful dogs have been in my mind since!! I'd love to hear from people that know these dogs.

2. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I've never owned a Samoyed but I'm very fond of the breed.

The Animal Refuge I worked for often housed rescue dogs when the breed rescues were unable to cope. The Samoyed club was one we worked closely with.

I worked with around 100 Sams over the years and I can honestly say every single one of them had a beautiful temperament. No matter how abused and neglected these dogs were they remained happy and friendly.

The only thing I don't like about the breed is the thought of all that grooming. If it wasn't for the coat I'd have one tomorrow.

3. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

A girl i know has one called Eddie, he is a friendly dog never puts a foot wrong :)

4. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

That's so true. :)
    I had a samoyed mix from a shelter. She was abused, she would get scared if I pick up my hand to pet her. She was still very loving and friendly tho.

5. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Not got the breed but love 2 have 1 one day

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i see a lot at shows & a few at sled dog rallys, i love them, theyre very good natured but need loads of grooming:)

7. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

My neighbours have 2 Bruno and Nikita, they are stunning and attract a lot of attention when out.
    They can be very vocal at times but they told us that can be common for the breed.

8. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

Whats the weather like where you live ?
    I wouldn't get one, if you live in a warm place.
    I felt so bad for mine.
    I think all the northern breeds are vocal. ;)

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My mum's dogs used to be vocal when they thought someone was dodgy and coming near their territory!!! lol!! I have always loved them just never really thought seriously about owning them, well certainly not in the near future. I don't know i'm split now lol!!! Thanks for all your replies though xxx

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I don't own one but I would love to they're so pretty and have wonderful temperments. Just not too sure about all the grooming

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice