Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sammy's Right Salivary Gland Swollen.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 5rivers79, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Hey guys Sammy has a lump in his cheek, seems to have come all of a sudden. Looks as though its his salivary gland as he has one on the other side but that it quite small.

Should i be worried and take him to the vets?? First noticed it last night but it still hasnt gone down. Could it be blocked?

2. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

If it is blocked I seriously sympathise with him as I have had this before and it was THE MOST excruciating pain EVER!!!!

3. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

It doesnt seem to be bothering him that much.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Blocked, infected, might not even be the gland at all.

Unless you're a vet, its impossible to say and merely speculation. I'd have it looked at, considering its friday.

5. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

Have you had a look/feel of the inside of his mouth? Seems a funny place for a saliva gland but then again I don't know much about dog anatomy!

I'm another vote for vet as you don't want to have to get an emergency appointment over the weekend if it flares up!

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its the right location for the zygomatic salivary gland ( i think dogs have 3 sets in all ).

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I'd take him to the vets. Just because it doesnt seem to be bothering him doesnt mean it isnt :(

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If it is a salivary gland they can become blocked and/or infected. You may even find if its blocked it may come up more when he is fed or eating because he will produce saliva and it cant drain into th mouth to help with the digestive process.

Blocked or infected it really needs looking at asap, obviously infection is going to need ABs even if its just blocked at this stage its at risk of infection I would think. If could even be his gum or a tooth or an abcess forming although that I would expect to be bothering him more perhaps and maybe even off his food.

10. thedogcabin

thedogcabin PetForums Member

This happened to one of my Dachshunds when she got a piece of bone wedged across the roof of her mouth. It had quite possibly been there a couple of days but she showed no signs of anything wrong, no drooling, no bad breath, still eating. Have you checked inside his mouth?

11. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Yeh checked inside his mouth but there is nothing there and he is eating his raw bones just fine. I might see how it gets on during the day as my vet is open on weekends too. Thanks guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice