Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Saluki x Greyhound Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jasper & Ashes, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasper & Ashes

Jasper & Ashes PetForums Junior

Hi everyone. We have a 7 month old saluki x Greyhound and she has recently started whining in the night when she gets put into her crate before bedtime. She has been using this crate from 10 weeks old and yes she whined for the first week, and then she was completely fine for months. We have recently started building works above where she sleeps. The builders are coming in and out throughout the day but she is fine with them and now knows them. The last week she has been going into her crate all completely fine and then when we go upstairs she is whining. Now is this because of the building works? ( she was fine at first when they started 3 weeks ago). I just feel sorry for her and would like some advice if possible. We even bought a pet camera to make sure she was fine in the day when the builders are there and she just sleeps all day. We go home every lunch time to let her out for a wee and a run round our garden.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Does she need to be in the crate at night? If she is in it during the day too, just how long does she spend cooped up?

My Saluki x Grey hates being confined at all.

Now your girl is older/bigger, maybe she feels restricted?

Could she be in the kitchen say, with her crate open so she can have more freedom?

3. Adam888

Adam888 Banned

It doesn't sound like your dog is getting nuch stimulation throughout the day at all. Especially for a saluki/greyhound. In the crate and a little run around the garden throughout the entire day?

4. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

Maybe she is a bit bored/frustrated? Could she be in a room away from the builders but not in the crate? Just leave it open in case she wants to use it. How about toys? I know you said she sleeps in the day but given the option maybe she'd like something in particular to idle away the day?

5. Jasper & Ashes

She is in the crate :

Monday 10.45 - 1.00pm
    Tues 1.00pm - 3
    Wed - 7.45 - 12.30 then 1.30 til 5pm
    Thurs 7.45 - 12.30 then 1.30 til 5pm

When we are at home she is completely free to roam around and she chooses to go inside her crate when she wants some peace. the door is left open when we are at home. So she is not shut away for a long period of time at all. And she cant go in the kitchen with the crate as the kitchen is not large enough to do this.

6. Jasper & Ashes

She has an hour walk in the morning before work and then she has an hour in the garden at lunch and then an hours walk in the evening. She gets plenty of exercise thank you

7. Jasper & Ashes

We moved her into the dining room, and this unsettled her more. The noise has reduced from building works, I think it was the scaffolders that unsettled her. She has a full basket of toys and she has some toys in her crate, when I say create it is more of a pen, so much larger and she has chew toys in there also.

8. Jasper & Ashes

From your replies it is like you think she is cooped up all day everyday. This is totally not the case. Our dog has two good walks a day with exercise in the garden in-between. She is a very happy dog and is spoilt through the amount of toys she has. She goes into the crate at night as this is where she feels safe and secure. As I said she goes in there through choice in the day even if we are at home with her, failing that she is on the sofa with us. So for everyone to criticise to say that she is not getting enough stimulation is completely wrong!

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Has she had a season yet? It could be the run up to her first season which can be unsettling for a bitch as hormones start flooding her body and can cause temperament changes during this time.

10. Jasper & Ashes

No she hasn't had her first season yet

11. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Saluki crosses can have a tendency to use verbal communication with their humans, particularly if it gets any kind of attention from the human I am afraid. You may have inadvertently responded in some way to some whining and now she whines to tell you things! Mine will whine when he wants to play, when he wants a particular sleeping place, when he is cold, when he wants a door open, when he wants a toy another dog has got and just about any time he thinks I can provide something he wants. You can try and guess what she is trying to tell you and, like me, be a slave for the rest of your life, or you can harden your heart and tell her she is warm, fed, exercised, entertained, loved and indulged and healthy and you will ignore all whining!

Jasper & Ashes and ouesi like this.
  12. Steve Chantler

Steve Chantler PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I am Tillys Dad (adoptive) and I have to come in and assure you all she is not cooped up all day every day. I would not mind betting she has more exercise than 90% of other dogs..

I get up at 6am every morning and she goes for a walk with me, usually about 25 mins
    On the days she is home alone I go home and let her out in the garden. The garden is 50m metres long btw and she has a good run
    Then, when I get home, I take her out for about an hour. We are lucky in that we live in the country and we have lovely, away form the roads walking.
    At weekends she gets at least 2 hours per day. Trust me, we love every minute of every walk...accept when she does a number 2 5 minutes in and we have to carry it for the duration.

She is rarely left for more than a few hours and our dog cam shows she is quiet during the day and just sleeps.

The main reason we asked for advice is the apparent change in her whining. Personally, I think it will go away. Last night it was just about 20 mins

Oh and yeh, we are going to look at doing away with the crate once the building work is complete. She will have a room that she can have the run of. We will start this just by leaving her crate door open.

I do not see her crate as a prison and I do not belive she does either. She often takes herself there of an evening and I am sure she glares at us when we stay up late as if to say "Isnt it time you sodded of to bed?"

#12 Steve Chantler, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    ouesi likes this.
  13. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Ummm, don't get defensive about the crated hours, people were only giving this as a possible reason, until told otherwise we don't know how long she is in the crate and the impression given, whether rightly or wrongly, was that she was left all day and then again all night with little interaction in between. Nobody knew, until it was said, that your working day is as short as it is.

As to the whining, could be the run up to her first season as I said earlier or could be something along the lines of @planete's excellent post

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm just here for saluki puppy pictures.
    Sorely disappointed :(

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much. Some sighthounds can be total drama queens and whining is one way of communicating drama :) She sounds well cared for and adjusted and doing very well considering there are workmen in and out of the house frequently.

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have a 9 month old who whines and whines and whines!!! So I feel your pain!

16. Jasper & Ashes

Its not defensive its when people assume. Maybe dont assume before you know the facts first

17. Jasper & Ashes

Attached Files:

ouesi likes this.
  18. Jasper & Ashes

This is her as a puppy about 14 weeks old

19. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Aaah! She's so cute!

Jasper & Ashes likes this.
  20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Ack!!! She's adorable!

Jasper & Ashes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice