Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Saluki Health Tests...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by happysaz133, Jul 3, 2009.

1. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Hi all :) I was just wondering, I have found a litter of Saluki puppies, a dream breed of mine, only 55 miles from where I live. They are KC registered (checked on the KC website). I haven't actually spoken to the breeder yet, but before I do, I wondered, what health tests are required for salukis? I want to ensure I will be getting a healthy puppy if I do get one, what should I ask? All my previous dogs have been rescues, and I've never really taken health testing into consideration. However if I am going to do this, I want to do it right.

I know hounds in general are quite healthy, but what should I ask?

2. happysaz133

Anyone? I really don't want to plunge into this...

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

All i could find via Google is that heart and eye tests should be performed on breeding animals.

Fernlark Salukis

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I'm just trying to get hold of my friend she breeds saluki's. She'snot in at the moment but I'll try again later.

5. rona

rona Guest

I've been looking as well, they seem a very healthy breed

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

She's at Windsor champ show but I've texted her but she may be driving I will get hold of her when I can but its a hell of a drive back from Windsor to here so it may be tomorrow before I can get hold of her.

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My friends just rung they have no set health tests at the moment but they are trying to bring in the heart test into the breed so it might be worth asking if the parents have been heart tested.

8. liporidex

liporidex PetForums Newbie

thank you@all for the information buddy

9. happysaz133

Thanks so much everyone, especially Freyja, I will check on that. I have spoken to the breeder who seems very nice, willing to answer any questions I had, and the parents have wonderful temprements. I was also told I can see them any time I wish, so that's good. I will ask about heart testing.

10. angethehippy

angethehippy PetForums Junior

I hope you don't mind me adding my two pence worth, may I ask why you want a Saluki? Apart from the fact they ARE very beautiful?

Reason I ask is, in the 6 years we've had Luke, very many people have stopped us and asked what he is. They are N-O-T a breed for the feint hearted, they NEED a good and SAFE (no road sense) area to exercise, preferably off lead. If trained early enough (mines a rescue = unknown early life) you may be lucky to have an obedient pet. Otherwise, forget it - they are aloof, they tend to do what THEY want, on THEIR terms. If he/she meets a Rabbit... BYE BYE RABBIT!

The last Vet we had, in the London area, he said before ours came along the only Saluki he'd ever treated/met in his years was a road accident/death Victim.

On the positive, they're loyal, VERY loving in a quiet-sort of way, tend to have ONE leader (usually the bloke) in the household and have their own funny little ways. And of course VERRRRY beautiful!

Good luck,

Ange :)

ps - WATCH 'em with Cats - they're fast and furry just like Rabbits...
    x

#10 angethehippy, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Although I do agree that salukis can be alloof and can be difficult to train my friend has 3 saluki's and free runs hers regulary in open spaces. Yes they do hunt but with no more of a kill instinct than my ex racing greyhound(she only goes of lead in enclosed areas) When my friend had her litter she asked me to go up if needed. We went having not seen the girls for quite a while but they came to greet us like long lost friends. One of them was even happy for us to go up to see her new born pups.

I found this photo of her pups at 6 weeks.
    [​IMG]

12. angethehippy

Morning Freyja, lovely babies!

I live in rural Lincolnshire - I've been looking for enclosed areas for the past 5 years (since moving here)- there just AREN'T any. Reasonable sized garden with thought and a bit of moving stuff about but still not really adequate. Husband takes him EVERY morning for 1.5 hrs (3 miles)walk and afternoon another 45 mins walk. This isn't a good reason though, lack of running area to send him back to the rescue centre. I feel he's better off with little running than pining away in a rescue centre. He was there 8 months until we found him - and what a sorry state he was in. They try their hardest in Ireland, but sadly they're not a great animal-loving nation. Cats fare even worse.

MILLIONS of Rabbits around here, and as you know, if they lose sight on the chase, they look about seeking another to chase. This way, they get further from where yr standing then get lost. Oh it's sooo easy.

Ange

13. rona

rona Guest

Are there any clubs or race tracks that let people race their own dogs?
    Many people around here with ex racing Greyhounds just take them once in a while to let them run properly

14. angethehippy

Morning Rona,
    Thanks for your reply.

I haven't yet found one that allows this. Only a Saluki owner (probably) can appreciate how independent AND bright Salukis are - maybe a Grayhound WOULD start running around a track with little prompting - not necessarily so with Saluki. As for 'chasing the bunny', they'd watch the Grayhounds for a few seconds, logically work out that running ACROSS the track (to head off that bunny) is far more sensible than racing after it. Minds of their own...:D :D :D

Ange

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Saluki's will lure course. They are bred to hunt in the deserts and are much prized by the arabs beduoins. My friend showed me a film of saluki's in the desert hunting some sort of hare I think they were. They hunt along side the birds of prey. If they actually give you a saluki as a gift then you are very highly though of. In the film they showed the breeding establishments were these dogs are specially bred. They are similar to the stud farms we have here. The most prized saluki's are actually ones that you don't see very often over here the smooth coated ones.

My friend is on the saluki and gazelle hound club comitee and they were at one time trying to find somewere were they could do some racing with their dogs. Unfortuantely I don't think it ever came of as they could not find any one who would lend them a lure. We go lurcher racing with my greyhounds in a secure field and she wanted to vome with us unfortunatley her bitches were in season and then they stopped racing as the lurcher racing season had started.

Angelthe hippy you say only a saluki only would know what they are truly like.I don't own a saluki but have known Qas and Difa since they were young and have known Rous since he was a newborn pup. We were to have a saluki of one of my friends bitches but unfortunately she hasn't come in season since her sister had her pups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice