Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Salt in Chicken

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Picklelily, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

So I'm a UK dog owner and have been feeding Raw for a while.

My problem is that I purchase my meat from the supermarket. As my dog is only 9kg large orders from a Raw food supplier seem uneconomical for me.

Of recent weeks I have noticed an increase in the salt in the supermarket chicken and turkey. The latest lot was 0.13g per 100g where as before that it was 0.062g.

So folks what's the maximum amount of salt I should be seeing in the chicken for it to be safe for my dog.

I'm struggling with this on Google searches as I'm getting varied answers on the amounts and no answers relating to dogs.

Sorry to be a bit dumb but I have an itchy dog so I'm trying to eliminate all possibilities.

#1 Picklelily, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

I cant answer you question but if you have an itchy dog chicken is one of the last foods I would give, are you buying cooked chicken, or is it whole frozen chickens ? just wondering where the salt is coming from.
    You could buy a 2KG back of frozen chicken breasts from PAH for your dog

3. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

No I'm buying raw chicken thighs and legs.

I have been to Morrison's tonight all chicken was labelled as either

0.2g or 0.3g of salt per 100g

This equals 300mg of salt in 100g

I'm sure its always been much lower than this.

My local pets at home only sells chicken, beef and tripe mince not pieces. :(

4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I think I would query this with Morrisons. It is possible the chicken is `plumped` with saline etc to make it weigh more?
    BTW you can buy small frozen packs of Raw at many pet shops including PAH which are not adulterated.

5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Its so far Sainsburys, Aldi and Morrisons, another UK feeder is saying the same thing about Tesco's chicken.

My Pets at Home only has minced chicken, is it very large stores that have the pieces?

6. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I found frozen dog food in my local garden centre. I didn't get very very excited honest :eek:

7. sopott

sopott PetForums Senior

hmm, this should be queried with the supermarket, not only for dogs!

i got some chicken breast from tesco today and just checked, it says 0.3g salt.

if anyone got any news i'd like to hear it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice