Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

salmon oil... how to get them to take it ?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tje, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Tje

Tje Banned

Does anyone else have cats that dislike the taste of salmon oil?

At first they loved it but gradually they’ve began to dislike it.

Now no matter how I disguise it, they’re leaving the portion of food it’s in.

Today I thought I would put it to the ultimate test and hide half a salmon oil capsule in some salmon flavored Animonda Ocean Carny, …. and although they were very hungry (and love Animonda Ocean Carny), and I refused to feed them anything else all day long … they left it. So basically their first meal of the day was just now at 8pm.

Any ideas what I can do to disguise it (have tried hiding it in all their favourite wet foods, even tried putting it on their Orijen dry food which is so strictly limited amount-wise that they don’t waste a crumb, but still they turned their noses up at it).

Also they’re not past their sell by date or anything like that. And I am only dividing one capsule between two portions of food.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You make your own minces, right? Can you put a little oil in there? About 1g per 1kg of meat? That should be little enough to not be overpowering in taste but enough to get the benefits of salmon oil.

3. Tje

Tje Banned

heyyyyy, good thinking Hobbs!! One question though.... how many capsules would constitute 1 gram of salmon oil? It's impossible for me to measure of course because they are in capsules. :confused:

And I take it the freezing wont kill off the good stuff in it?

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Two capsules per 1kg of meat and, no, the freezing should have little effect on the fatty acids. Hopefully that will be disguised enough so as not to bother them. Fingers crossed!

5. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Glad you mentioned this as my cat too hates salmon oil!!

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I don't know what I am basing it on.....but I thought that it was not a good idea to freeze fats/oils and that is why salmon oil etc is normally added after defrosting a food.
    I guess it is a pretty strong taste though and that may be why your cats are avoiding it in food. I often mix capsule in to either a small pat of unsalted butter or a teaspoon of creme fraiche and seem to sneak it in ok that way as a separate treat. I would even go as far as smearing above mix, or oil itself, down a front leg so the cat grooms it off. ( beware a fishy smelling cat though! ) Then again Paddy will eat the capsules whole.....He is a greedy boy!

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You can get salmon oil in a bottle might even be cheaper than capsules :D

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Indeed you can but considering how little the quantities are that one needs for a cat the oil goes off more quickly! Hence my advice to use capsules :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice