UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be adding salmon oil to lassies food, and if so how much per day and do I have to give vit e?. She is a rough collie weighing 22/23 kg. if I should add these what vit E are they capsules. I feed her raw and just found a butcher that will give me my bones, carcuses when I buy her meats. Thanks for your advice as always.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
You don't have to, it's up to you!

If you do, I'd say about 10ml daily should suffice but you can give more or less depending on her needs. Yes, you need to give Vitamin E too if giving salmon oil - 1 200iu capsule every other day would be fine.

I give salmon oil everyday and only give Vitamin E capsules twice a week but my dogs are fed BARF, so have lots of fruits and vegetables daily, which gives them a source of Vitamin E.

·
Registered
856 Posts
To go against the grain, I do not give vitamin e when giving fish oils as after consulting with two holistic vets, their advice amounted to the same - unnecessary :)

Yes fish oils depletes vit e in the body, but being a fat soluble vitamin its not one to overdose on.

·
Registered
595 Posts
To go against the grain, I do not give vitamin e when giving fish oils as after consulting with two holistic vets, their advice amounted to the same - unnecessary :)

Yes fish oils depletes vit e in the body, but being a fat soluble vitamin its not one to overdose on.
I give Salmon oil and Vitimin E. I didn't know that holistic vets say it is unnecessary. How did you mean that being fat soluble its not one to overdose on? Do you mean that it is likely/dangerous to give too much vitamin E?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I give Salmon oil and Vitimin E. I didn't know that holistic vets say it is unnecessary. How did you mean that being fat soluble its not one to overdose on? Do you mean that it is likely/dangerous to give too much vitamin E?
I see my holistic vet every month and showed him the Fish4Dogs salmon oil bottle which he checked dosage and said for the amount feeding it extremely unlikely to deplete vitamin E levels to warrant supplementation :)

When I met another holistic vet (on a feeding seminar ;)) I asked the question on whether it is necessary to supplement the vitamin E when feeding salmon oils. He said it is not clear as to exactly how much vitamin E is needed, or how much the salmon oil depletes the vitamin E, therefore not necessary to supplement :)

Vitamin E is fat soluble so over feeding is not recommended as it does something that i cant remember right now :eek: whereas water soluble vitamins like vitamin c, is excreted in the urine if they have more than necessary :D

I hope I didn't make you worry and hope that's a little clearer than mud :p

I actually stopped salmon oil and my dogs are looking better since stopping it and slightly increasing their liver intake :cool:

As one vet recommended, if I went back to oil, it would be 'fish oil' rather than salmon oil. I actually tasted fish oil (human grade!) that is sardine, herring and anchovy oils - if I fed one it would be this as I will take it too :yikes: :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.