Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Saliva ovulation test

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by luvmydogs, Aug 24, 2013.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

These are the human ones, but work for dogs. Does anyone know of a shop that sells them? I need one today if possible.

2. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

i am intrigued luvmydogs, didn't even know that you could get such a test for a human, never mind a dog lol hope you find them and post the link :)

3. wst

wst PetForums Member

#3 wst, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes, fertile focus is the one. They sell it on ebay and Amazon but I couldn't find a shop. I ended up taking her to the vet for an in-house test.

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Someone did send me this though (attached). Apparently you need to get some saliva from the bitch onto a microscope slide. First thing in the morning before food or drink. Let it dry well. Put it under the microscope and follow the info sheet to interpret the ferning.

Attached Files:

6. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

I have a fertile focus microscope for saliva testing but i found it or rather the hole that you look through a little too small.So i bought a digital microscope from ebay (about 28 pounds) and some glass slides which i find much better as you can see the results on your pc screen and also capture pictures and video slips.
    These are a couple of saliva results that i have taken...

Have you looked in boots or superdrug etc for the fertile focus?

a- 25 july 2013 -day.jpg

View attachment Audrey tuesday 6th august A.BMP

7. wst

wst PetForums Member

very interesting,but does it work and reliable?

8. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

I have only used it the once so far, but strong ferning showed up on day 6 and 7 of my bitches cycle. she was mated on day 10/12 and she is pregnant...i think i will have to do some more saliva testing on my other bitches if/when they come into season (if i am mating them) to see whether the ferning is acurate and tallies with when they ovulate/whelp..i dont breed that often so it might take quite some time to collect the data to establish whether it works or not..
    View attachment Saliva Testing.pdf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice