Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Salem attacking other cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by malibu, Jan 23, 2012.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Salem keeps attacking Savannah and Mollie, we have an appointment tomorrow morning to see the vet but wanted some advice now whether it's normal or not? X

2. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

I forget, has he been neutered yet? If not, that's a possible reason.

Otherwise, are you sure he's attacking, or is he now that he's a big strapping boy of 8 months, just playing a little too hard for them? He could still feel quite kittenish, but he's got closer to adult cat weight now and maybe they feel overwhelmed.

Sometimes something will happen that seems inconsequential and it just sets them off for a time. Last year, after we had found Kirby and Freja (who Jezebel adopted as "hers"), we had some issues between Jezebel and Gwennie. Gwennie tried to jump on a chair and slipped, falling on Jezebel quite by accident. Jezebel had been on the floor with Freja, and so interpreted this as a death from the sky attack, and for about 3 months after, she and Gwennie had issues of an angry nature. She would chase Gwennie around the house, forcing her into the back of the closet, fur flying everywhere. We eventually got them sorted back out with Feliway and some other pheromone spray and Rescue Remedy drugging up the water. Now they're friends again, but it was difficult while it happened, so I sympathize.

I hope he's not just feeling cranky for some medical reason. Good luck at the vets.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Yeah he is neutered now, he keeps biting Savannah and she ends up crying out :( he has swiped her today and started hissing at her which is unusual for him as they usually get on really well, he does the same to Mollie, but leaves Roxie alone x

4. Mummy of Jaffe Joffer

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer PetForums VIP

Oh I'm sorry to here that. It could be a territory thing? Our old family cat Toebe had a personality change when we moved house when we were younger and went from being really lovely and cuddly with his brother to attacking him and it was all down to him no longer being top cat in the neighbourhood. This was before feliway so it took a long time before Toebe settled again but he did become more tolerable of his brother with time and also a change of habits.

If you can use some feliway, watch Salem and see what has changed and you should be able to get to the root of the problem and solve it.

5. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Bugs is doing a similar thing he is almost 9months now and for the past month he has been jumping at Chewitts and biting and kicking her to the point of her hissing at him and then there is a stand off with ears back and staring etc. It was getting really bad the other week when I was really stressed because I was caring for my elderly nan so I don't know if they were feeding off that stress? However they have settled and only have a few hissing fights every now and then BUT I think it is just like another poster said that Salem is getting to the age where he wants to be top cat and is pushing his luck plus he still wants to play and be naughty but as he is not a kitten any more he isn't going to get away with as much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice