Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

saint bernard jumping

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by debs123, May 16, 2010.

1. debs123

debs123 PetForums Newbie

hi i have a 10 month old saint im having alot of problems taking her out for a walk.when she goes out all she wants to do is jump up on me and we dont get past the driveway as she cuts me too bits:frown:if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated thanks for taking the time to read this

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

unfortunately, puppies learn from a very young age that jumping up gets them the attention that they want. it becomes self rewarding and higher in intensity the more positive reactions they get.

even more unfortunately for you, you have a very large breed and i shudder to think the force that this dog exerts on you when jumping, even at such a young age.

there is hope however, that you can stop this. ideally you should contact a behaviourist in your area and get some help (look on the ADTB website, APDT or the KENNEL CLUB for an accredited trainer/behaviourist).

in the meantime, i suggest that the dog is getting overexcited at the prospect of a walk. some desensitisation exercises might prove useful.

1. practise putting the lead on, getting the dog to sit calmly, rewarding and then taking the lead off (to teach that the lead doesnt mean we are going anywhere just yet)
    2. practise invisible puppy (totally ignore jumping and remove yourself from the room, close the door, reenter and reward for a quiet greeting)
    3. never use words like "walkies", "lets go", or "lead on" when taking the dog out - just put the lead on, insist on a heel, and go!
    4. practise distracting the dog - ask for a watch me, sit, down, quiet, or heel and reward the dog for the correct behaviour.

hope this helps!
    gilly

3. debs123

debs123 PetForums Newbie

:)many thanks for the information i will give all of that a go and hopefully it works somethings got to

4. leashedForLife

calmatives can help -
    Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - dog body-language - and why it matters so much...
    she is over-excited; these take the edge off, so she can pay attn + learn

use a tether for practicing SIT to greet -
    YouTube - #1 Layla - modifying 'dog jumping up' behavior-session #1 of 6
    give NO cue; walk off if her front-feet leave the ground, REWARD heavily but calmly (warm, deep-pitched praise,
    no squealing!; give a jackpot for her break-thru moment:
    6 - 12 teeny-weeny but good treats delivered singly, as fast as she swallows, offer the next, with a warm string of praise;
    the break-thru is the FIRST time she lets U approach within touching-distance + STAYS butt on the ground.

for immediate-management U can use a power-pole:
    a short rigid pole to walk her that attaches to her collar, instead of a leash:
    go to
    Amazon.com: Speed Train Your Own Retriever: The Quick, Efficient, Proven System for Training a Finished Dog (9780811722018): Larry Mueller: Books
    type TRAINING ROD into *search inside this book* in the left margin -
    there is an excellent photo of the long coonhunters training rod on a 4-MO pup learning Sit at a distance; the rigid rod replaces a leash, but U only need a 4-ft long to 5-ft long rod for use as a leash.

the power-pole is nothing more than a garden-handle [rake, whatever] or a sturdy dowel, 4 to 5 ft long, with an EYE bolt in the dog-end, and a drilled hole with a WRIST loop at the human end.
    put a spring-clip / leash-clip with a swivel onto the eye-bolt, clip it to the dogs collar -
    U now have a rigid leash that allows U to walk the dog, get the dog to sit, etc, and they cannot *fold* it to jump on U.

happy B-Mod,
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice