Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sailor bit me twice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, Jan 17, 2012.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I got stuck between the dogs this evening while feeding them there tea.
    I havent given the dogs any high valued foods recently as Sailor has had a bad paw and been acting protective over most things.
    But now his better, I decided to get out some diced raw heart :rolleyes: and I didnt seperate the dogs... just incase !

Before I knew it the heart was eaten and Sailor saw me beside Ace with the empty wrapper and within seconds Sailor was trying to show Ace who was boss, while I was stuck between them in a corner :eek:

I jumped out the way trying to get onto the counter, but in a split second, I decided to get back down and split them up instead of hide on the counter with the kettle :rolleyes:

As I jumped down, I landed with my legs between the dogs and Sailor accidently bit my right knee... he was quick to realise I wasnt Ace, then turned and bit my other knee :sosp: again realising his error... he then lunged between my knees to get at Ace, which is when I managed to grab his scruff move my legs and in an instant all was calm, both dogs looking at me with those sad eyes and waggy tails :rolleyes:

Ace and Sailor are fine, curled up together snoring as if nothing happened... but I am sat on my tod with grazed and bruised knees... and that irritating feeling of shame, for being soo stupid to get between them in the first place!
    I know when they fight, its all just noise and lasts for seconds before making friends again!

DOH!

Lesson learnt, Sailor might be better, but I think I will have to go back to scratch with their feeding routine when it comes to high value stuff like heart !

What made me write this post was more for the fact, this could have soo easily been another dog in another home with a less understanding owner and proberly carted off to be destroyed :(

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Hindsight is brilliant isn't it? :D. Seriously, I hope that you are OK and it was a good idea to post about the experience to potentially help others; the main thing is that you know why it happened and what you plan to do about it.

3. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Hope you are ok and the skin wasn't broken if it was I would strongly suggest you go to A&E for treatment as the knee has a fluid pouch that if it gets infected it can cause all kinds of problems!!

Glad your boys are back to being friends!! Take care of yourself xxxxxx

4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Ouch, hope you heal quickly! I've been bitten twice mid dog fight myself, once by Rupert and once by a Rottie that attacked him (I know it wasn't Rupe that time, he was muzzled). Can't blame the dogs when we're daft enough to put our beloved limbs in the way can we?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its not uncommon to get bitten when dogs are having a fight and even if its
    yours and another dog not owned by you its often your dog you get bitten by. They are often so insensed during it they dont realise.

Ive got a few digs and dents. When was from my samoyed years ago, which I got whilst trying to save his derrier, like your he realised, it was only one bite but in my wisdom I pulled my arm away, so what would have been a punture wound only ended up needing 10 stiches.

I would watch all food, treats and chews only give when supervised. My two girls get on fine, but I know that if it comes to a point where, they both go for something, or one tries to take the others, then they would have a ding dong. I avoid situations altogether and they are fine.

6. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

BOYS!!!

Bruno and Harvey sometimes go at it too, and Bruno's like a little rat compared to Harvey's polar bear size......guess which one wins :rolleyes:

Glad that there's no real harm done, but yet your last comment is 100% right and so sad :(

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Oh Dear - My 2 are so soppy together, feed them right next to each other, but leave some really high value food around and it's world war 3 for a few seconds :rolleyes:
    At least you know it's safer by the kettle now :eek:

Great point about understanding your dogs before jumping to conclusions about their behaviour.

8. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Ouch, your poor knee! You're right- a lot of people seem to think that bite = death :(

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sorry meant to say - hope your knees aren't to sore and they heal quickly.

10. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

ow hope you're okay

in my house the high value object becomes Willow :rolleyes: when shes in season, thank goodness she is spayed now. The fights were ridiculous, I broke most up by dragging one out by their back legs :(

best of luck with the feeding regime :)

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hope you are ok!

12. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Uh oh :( I hope you get better soon and Sailor doesn't turn into a devil dog now he's tasted blood ;)

13. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

I hope you heal quickly as it must be a bit sore. Its ok saying what we should have done after the event but in the heat of the moment we often act first without thinking. Sending you <<< hugs >>> x

14. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

You are correct on all points.......... they have heart tomorrow and will be split up, while stay beside the kettle :rolleyes:

Thank you, skin wasnt broken luckily, just grazed where his teeth must have dragged down my jeans. Jeans are quite tough aint they!

Thanx and I now know for certain.... as you say keep those beloved limbs out the way :eek:

Ouch!
    This is the first time Ive ever got caught by any dog and luckily not as bad as it could have been. I normally keep out the way, but as it happened right under me and I decided to go against common sense this time :eek:

Poor Harvey! bless him :eek:

Hopefully it will make people stop and think if it ever happens to them.
    Sailor really didnt mean it and no real harm was done, but I can see how easily other people would instantly jump to the wrong conclusion and worry they had an aggressive dog :eek:

:( it is sad, but luckily Sailors not going to be one of those statistics!

15. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Sounds like things got abit mental with your pups, but I refuse to believe your lovely pups ever fight :eek: especially Percy :p
    Glad to hear Willows seasons are a thing of the past and things will now be settled.

Im sure my two will settle quickly into the feeding routines. Its mainly big bad Sailor just being a brusier. little bugger :rolleyes:

:eek: I better get on Ebay and fin some full body armour chain link suit things, dont want to take any chances :eek:

16. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

OWWWW! Glad your knee is OK.

Rex is another lucky one. When his previous owner attempted to grab him while he was fighting two GSDs...........yeh, NOT a good move. Rex turned and bit owner, SURPRISE! Broke both bones in previous owner's forearm.

Previous owner said "It was me own !#*! fault.... so another honest owner and another lucky dog.

Mind the kettle; they bite, too.... believe me I know.

17. AcornAntiques

AcornAntiques PetForums Member

Hope you feel better.

Hindsight is a great thing but in the heat of the moment you just delve in to break them up and forget about any potential injury to yourself.....the joys of dog ownership :)

18. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

So easily to reactive instinctively without thinking. Glad you aren't hurt too badly and Very glad you understand what happened and Sailor's future is safe :D

19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Just wanted to say that I hope you're OK and I'm glad Sailor and Ace are back to being friends again. :thumbup1: Sadly, of course, you're right and a less understanding owner would have had Sailor PTS. :(

Wouldn't put it past Max to do the same as Sailor, so they get fed separately but Milly would probably be the one to finish first and then go and stand over him, watching him eat as if to say "You going to finish all that?" :rolleyes:

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Hope you're ok. I got bitten a few months ago (first ever dog bite) & can't believe how much it hurt :cryin:

Roxy went for Toby one evening & I decided that putting my hand in between them would be a good idea :rolleyes: Well, it was for Toby as he didn't get bitten .... I did! I had a hole in my hand were Roxys canine tooth went through & almost passed out :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice