Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Safety warning about a metal enclosure

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Maziebunny, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Maziebunny

Maziebunny PetForums Newbie

Hi - I am new on here and I just wanted to warn people in the bunny world of the possibility of a problem with a certain type of enclosure. Please take a moment to read this, look at the style of enclosure, read the 1 star reviews and look at the awful photo that shows a rabbit trapped between the bars. Photo is shown as 1 customer image, the link for it is under the main photo, it is an upsetting photo, but shows the problem clearly.

A few months back a lady had been warning people (on a page on facebook) about an enclosure as her little rabbit had died as their head got caught between the bars of an enclosure, the same enclosure that I have. At the time I checked mine and from comments made by other people it seemed that small or young rabbits were not ideally suited to this type of enclosure. I looked the enclosure up on a few websites and on some it did state don't use if your rabbit is small or under 6 months.

My rabbit Isis is just back from hospital she has suffered a broken jaw, and on the enclosure there are two bars which have been pushed apart, after speaking with the vet, although her injury could have been caused by a fall, or bad landing after a binky, it is however also consistent with her having had her head stuck between the bars.

She is closer to 2 years old, so not a tiny rabbit, nor is she small as she was around 3.5kgs. I never thought for a minute that she would or could have fitted her head through the bars.

If you do have one of these styles of enclosures, it is worth taking precautionary measures. A friend has lined the bars with chicken wire, to prevent any accidents happening. I don't know if that is the best solution, but certainly worth looking into, after her rabbit also got it's head stuck between the bars. Another friend of mine, who had the same happen, found her rabbit had broken it's claw on her back foot, trying to free herself. Another friend, sadly found her rabbit had died.

I have emailed the seller, and Amazon, to ask if they will look into the safety of this run. If you look at the reviews for the link below, there are several reviews at the 1 star rating of injuries or death of a rabbit.

I have posted this on a couple of other places, and sadly the comments I am getting are showing more injuries and deaths. I am not posting this to upset anyone, just to warn of a possible problem.

***Please note that the customer image, on the below link, is of a rabbit trapped in the cage, and it has died, it is really upsetting, but clearly shows how a rabbit can get trapped***

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHICKEN-PLA...losure/dp/B0064OEJGM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

#1 Maziebunny, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

I have this enclosure and my rabbit Hodge is sitting in it with access to double tier hutch!
    Now I will be overparanoid!

3. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

It's not a run that we use, but thank you for the warning.

I would suggest alerting amazon and any other sellers, and contacting the manufacturers themselves. See how they respond. Ask others to contact them too.

4. Maziebunny

Hi - I have contacted Amazon, and the seller that sold me mine. I have also emailed a couple of other websites selling identical runs, to advise them there could be a problem.

Don't want to upset anyone, just want people to be aware of a possible danger and give them a chance to do something to make the runs safer. My poor wee bunny has really suffered.

5. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

I have put cardboard inside run and tomorrow I am goif to get plastic mesh-he is already ripping of cardboard so I have given him some to chew as well.
    This not look great but for tonight needs to be!

Attached Files:

6. Maziebunny

Funky, I bet he is having a ball with the cardboard. As yours is inside, and with stuff in it, you are at least around to keep an eye on him. It seems that the bigger risk is outside, and especially if they get spooked and make a run for it.

Please feel free to share the stuff I have mentioned with any other bunny people or forums.

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

The reviews on Amazon are certainly worrying. I am surprised they haven't withdrawn it. Lots of cages also have bars, but i presume it is because this is flimsier than others? Haven't seen it in the flesh.

8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been warning people over this run for a couple of years now....The fact the company haven't listened to our concerns is disturbing at best :(

People buy this run as it is big enough for a couple of rabbits, the last thing they expect is for the run to bite back :(

9. Maziebunny

Summersky, it's more the case that the bars have a flex in them. All metal runs seem to have a similar spacing between the bars, what seems to make a difference is the ones that run accross the enclosure, if that makes sense.

My friends dog crate is almost identical, but it has more of the horizontal bars, which means there is less length on the vertical ones, so they don't flex.

10. Maziebunny

Please if anyone can, share the warning, and let other friends, forums and facebook pages be aware of the possible dangers. The more poeple who know, then the better. Thank you.

11. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

We have big hutch 6foot long with double run underneath which wee are going to move back to garage-my husband removed cover few days ago as he needed for something else so hutch is bit wet outside -I have checked no leak inside and all dry -would he be ok it shall i move him when all is completely dry (dry in the garage) -I don't want him to have damp inside.

12. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I've had this run for 4/5 years and kept lionheads 1.3kg and a mini lop 1.1kg in it without any problems.

I wonder if the rabbits who have had problems have been spooked and tried to get out while shocked.

I brought this run because Miffy couldnt see wire mesh and would run into the mesh, this run was an absolute god send.

This is also the only run I've never had to rescrew, repaint etc.

I really hope thy dont take the run off the market.

13. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

I am overparanoid I know!
    Enclosure is down-Hodge is now in different hutch with run! When Faith recovers from her spaying (she will have this done on 31at October) they will be in double tier hutch and I already looked for some wooden with mesh big runs-it is shame as 6 of them used to have access to 3 hutches, utility room an double garage.

Attached Files:

14. Maziebunny

Well done you, that was quick. You are probably better off doing that, than worrying about the what ifs.

15. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

I wanted to do last night but it took me 2.5 hours to sort the garage -remove run, clean, bring other hutch - clean it and set up!
    Poor guys stuck in te garage -usually my boys are sitting in the gate next to kitchen as they have a cat flap but for now two girls occupy our utility room!
    They have crate build like that enclosure but because it is more like there tray as I never close them there -I am not worry.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice