Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Safe to Use a Febreze with Ambi Pur 3Volution Air Freshener?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rob M., Sep 7, 2020.

1. Rob M.

Rob M. PetForums Newbie

My male cat wees for England, and it's hard to keep on top of the litter emptying and the resulting occasional odour.

I've read lots of conflicting advice about using an air freshener as they seem to cause health issues, but is the Febreze with Ambi Pur 3Volution Air Freshener Pet version OK, as it's designed for pets? The Amazon listing has ingredients but the forum won't let me link to the page (says it's spam).

Thanks!

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If your cat isn't castrated his pee will probably sell vile. If he isn't I and others here strongly advise you book him in ASAP.

I would NOT use air fresheners, even if they are 'designed for pets'. It strikes me as a bit like trying to hide dirt with more dirt.

Is he peeing and/or spraying outside the litter tray? What sort of litter are you using?

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Rob M. - litter trays should not smell if you are using a good quality clumping litter, scooping twice a day and changing all the litter every 4 to 6 weeks. depending on which type of litter you use.

You mention your cat "wees for England" - how many times a day does he pee? e.g. 2, 3 or 4 times a day would be normal. If he is peeing a lot more than that, then it sounds as though something could be wrong.

I agree with OS, air fresheners are not suitable for use in a home with cats. The one you refer to smells horrible, synthetic and sickly (friends of mine who have dogs use it in their house) and the carrier oil used to diffuse it can cause respiratory problems for humans and pets.

A cat needs to be able to smell his own scent in the litter tray.

If your cat is not neutered his urine will smell strong and pungent.

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I wouldn't use ordinary air fresheners either, even if they are pet friendly. If he seems to be doing more weeing than seems normal, I would get your vet just to check all is well. What age is he?

The smell from the litter tray usually depends on the type of litter you are using and how often it's emptied and changed. I use pine wood pellets and there's no odour at all from weeing and I remove soiled litter as soon as I can. Cats are generally very clean and don't like to use dirty litter trays. You can buy odour eliminators which mask the unpleasant smells from the tray like this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Sol...+tray+odour+eliminator&qid=1599482150&sr=8-15

5. Rob M.

Rob M. PetForums Newbie

He is eighteen months old and castrated and no, he's never urinated outside the tray (he has never sprayed either). We currently use Sanicat Active, but have used Sanicat Duo too.
    He urinates about four times per day, but he's a big cat - approaching 6kg now - so there is quite an amount, especially as he eats Thrive and Simpsons.
    The litter is cleaned at least once each day, twice if it's practical. Perhaps we need to try something else. We started with wood pellets, although I can't remember which, and didn't have much success. He tends to urinate in exactly the same spot each time, which doesn't help. I'll take a look at the odour eliminators.

I think we all like to think that no matter how clean our litter area doesn't smell, but we've definitely got a bit of odour, which is apparent when one of us has been away from home for a day or two.

6. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Definitely try a clumping wood based one, like cats best or world’s best. That might work better than the pellets especially if your boy does huge wees as it tends to be very absorbent and locks the smell away. Also how many trays do you have? May need an extra?

chillminx likes this.
  7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Do you use the wood pellets in the correct sieve tray? They don't work in a normal litter tray.
    6kg isn't a large cat, cleaning at least twice a day, changing either litter type or tray type should help. Looking at his diet may also help.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Rob M. - if your boy is actually passing excessive amounts of urine it could be that he has a health issue such as diabetes mellitus, or kidney disease. Has he been checked out by the vet recently ?

9. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

You may be doing so already, but I would try a very deep based litter tray and fill it deeply - at least 6" - with Corn Cat or similar clumping litter.

I have a large (unneutered) male cat who does enormous pees. I couldn't use a non clumping litter or a clumping litter that didn't clump well as he would flood the tray, it would smell, and I would be forever changing/washing the tray

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Are these "scented" (with perfumes) litters? If they are I suspect that may be the problem. However a urinalysis to rule out infection wouldn't be out of line.

Otherwise I would advise you to scoop as soon as he pees when you are home to do it, and provide at least two litter boxes so when you aren't home he has a clean place to toilet. Ensure the boxes are large enough for him too, and the litter is deep enough.

11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

The latter one made my cat sneeze, so I no longer use them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice