UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Ive just got back from a weekend in London..

Ive seen beggers we have them here, a fair shair of east europeans playing accordians so badly they seem to be trying to get you to pay them to shut up and there are a few local drunks who sometimes beg for the coin from supermarket trolleys.
But when I was on my way home I got to Kings cross and there was a young Irish fella very polite just wandering about and asking people if they could spare a bit of change or some food..

Now maybe Im stupid , thats what my friend said when I mentioned it to her but he came over and asked me I told him didnt have any more English money but mum had made me a sandwich for the journey and I asked if he would like that.
He was already turning on his heel as I spoke and seemed really surprised Id spoken, and then it was my turn as he asked me 'what about you wont you get hungry'?

I assured him mum had already stuffed me full of toast and Id got an apple to last me a while.. So he took the sandwich and informed me he was partial to a bit of chedder adding 'bless you love' before wandering off outside to have his sandwich...

So maybe I am stupid and maybe he was pulling the wool over my eyes and has a 8 bedroomed mansion in Kerry or something but maybe he was just a homeless fella who hadnt had breakfast ..Its not like I sold my soul I just gave him a sandwich.

So it makes me sad to think that offering a little kindness labels me as stupid...

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
i dont think you were being stupid, i think it was really nice of you.
if a beggar ever asks me for anything i try and give them food or drink over money.

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
Not stupid....very kind and thoughtful. I wouldnt give money...in case it were going on drugs or alcohol...but a sandwich for somebody that needs a meal....why on earth not...bless your little heart!:)

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
I think it's a lovely gesture in a world where people are often cynical:)

I've shared food with homeless people before, & also bought homeless dogs food too

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You are not stupid, you are a very kind person who did a good deed!

I very rarely give money to people but I have been known to go into Mc Donalds (or what ever is close by) and get some food for them.

I prefer giving food, at least that way I know they're getting something decent in their stomach but I have no qualms about helping someone out.

That fella sounds like a nice chap so well done for giving him your lunch :)

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I think it was a lovely practical thing to do, my sister once went and bought a "tramp" a few pairs of socks, she didnt want to give him money but he had no socks on so she bought him those. Even if he was a professional beggar with a huge mansion, it gave you a good feeling to do it and earned you a bit of good karma :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I don't think you're stupid at all. I think all too often people assume that a homeless person may not be genuine or that being homeless is their fault. This is one charity I do support because I think it gets overlooked.

G

·
Well if caring and being generous and sharing is stupid, I wish a lot more of the population was stupid and not cynical.

A kindness given is a cherished memory of an unselfish act.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'd have done the same, so we are all stupid!

When I was a kid and we went to Blackpool there was a man asking for change, he got swore at something shocking from the man on front of us, so instead of coming to ask us he headed towards the bin to look for lunch. Sis and I ran into the shop to get him a sandwich and milk (not cola, cuz we was cool kidz) and the appreciation on his face almost broke my heart...
It angers me that all homeless/ beggars are labeled the same; some just genuinely need something to eat.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Absolutely not, if he were pulling the wool over your eyes he'd just have said no thanks!
I never give money but try to give food or drink if I'm in a position to do so :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Definatley not stupid I was homeless when I was young and would of loved to of met someone like you (and a few others on here by the looks of it!) Your a good person with a warm heart someting which can be rare these days don't ever let anyone drag you down for having a heart xxx

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's not stupid at all.

A few weeks ago I was in London with my OH in Regent's Street, there was a homeless guy. OH didn't want to give money so we found a sandwich shop and he bought him a sandwich and a cup of tea.

MY OH did make me laugh, he deliberated for ages over what to put in the sandwich (it was one of those deli type places). He decided cheese and ham in the end, hoping he didn't have any allergies :blush:

I'd rather be labelled as stupid than heartless.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Some one asked you for food and you sacrificed your butty, that makes you kind not stupid.
What does it matter what the persons background is? If someone asks for food and you have something to spare, it does not make you stupid.
I would rather hand a butty over and risk giving it to some one who doesn't need it, than not hand a butty over to someone who hadn't eaten and was desperately hungry.

People are getting more and more mistrustful these days, so it is lovely to see that there are still trusting and kind people around :D

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Good on you! And I'm glad to see a positive response from others on this forum too :) Good to know that there are still people who care!

If you are stupid, then I am too; and proud to be so!
Couldn't have put it better myself Dogless! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I just remembered another story I need to share!
Ages ago when I was volunteering in a shop, I had been chatting to a homeless girl outside- the lady who runs the shop always made sure she got a hot drink on a cold day.
But this little girl was talking with her mum, and they were asked if they had any change. As the mum checked her bag, the little girl went into hers and pulled out a wee purse. McDs had just ended the monopoly thing, and this little girl still had all the free burger, fries, ice cream etc tokens collected up. With a big smile on her face the little girl handed them over to the lady, and said 'is this ok?' Still with the cutest smile ever. Now talk about melting your heart.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
there are homeless people in our city, one in particular he has been around for years, has a pet ferret. when i was at school i used to take him sandwiches when i could and if i had the spare cash ferret food too :)
i often find the pets that some homesless people have with them are in better condition than the people themselves

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.