Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sadly rehoming rotti x collie

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by lunalou, Jun 21, 2014.

1. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

With a very heavy heart I am forced to rehome my 2yr old rotti x collie, max. He is the most lovely dog and it is through no fault of his own that we are rehoming.
    I have became rather ill in the past 12 months and it has now became such a struggle that I cant walk him :( I Have IBS which alone would be manageable but I also have several problems with my uterus and the two agrivate each other. I Have had a few treatments already and the doctors say its just going be a case of trying different things and seeing what works so i have no time scales. As such i dont know how long ill be unable to walk max and so the decision had been made that this is ultimately the right think for max.
    He is a lovely dog, black with a white chest. he has recently seen a vet and we were told he is perfectly healthy :) he is very slim but they said that is due to all the energy and we were advised getting his neautured (we havent seen a need for it in the past as he has little contact with females and never without us there so no chance of pups). He is very playful and loves the attention, I only have to look at him and he is at my side for a fuss :)
    he is fantastic with children, he tries to dance with my girls by running around them in a big circle while they dance and he sits out and watches over them while they play. he is also good with cats, im sure he thinks my cat is his puppy and they have the same markings nearly :) he was very interested from the minute the cat came into the home and was very friendly (although the cat took some convincing) and i now often find them snuggled up together asleep.
    He is fully house trained, has basic training of commands (stay, come, sit, stay, settle, out and nicely (he takes treats of me very gently when i say nicely)), fantastic on and off the lead but can pull on the lead sometimes when he sees other dogs (always very friendly) but strangely when he goes for walks of the lead along with friends other dogs he shows no interest in any other dogs he sees.
    Max is on a dry diet following advise from a vet as a puppy as tinned food upset his stomach. He is fine with cooked meat and gets this as a treat instead of his dry food occassionally. he will eat anything you put to him, my kids have feed hom veg before and he wolfed that down along with some mash.
    I really dont know what else to put but im sure ill think of more later. He is a very loved family pet and will only go to a loving family home, anyone interested will be asked a long list of questions to ensure they are right for max.

if this isnt allowed admin i am very sorry, i thought this was the best place to find a loving caring home for him x

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

So sorry to hear you are having health problems and are having to make this terrible decision :(

I would get him neutered before you re-home to protect him from becoming a breeding machine in case he gets into the wrong hands.

Have you contacted any rescues for support in re-homing him? - they may not be able to take him but they may be able to advise you.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Could you not employ a dog walker?
    This must be heartbreaking for you all

4. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

it is very heartbreaking but unfortunately I cant afford a dog walker :( we are only just scrapping by atm as it is :( iv contacted a few shelters for advise, i dont really want him going into one as he at least can roam free here but the most advise i got was to advertise on social media and to make sure i ask for money to avoid baiting. im looking into getting him neautured atm as i was saving up for it :(

5. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

also a local charity on alsager have offered neuture him for £75 if i can get transport to them. they are lovely but are struggling to rehome themselves x

6. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

I'd give it a go to advertise your situation to see if there is anyone near you who is interested in dogs but perhaps cant have their own and would love to walk one.

There is a lady who does it near us to lose weight, she takes out the elderly ladies dogs in the evenings for free.

I know it is a long shot but it means he gets walks for at least the time before he gets rehomed, that would be good for him.

I hope your situation resolves as soon as possible and you can keep him and as a second choice he finds s lovely home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice