UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I witnessed something this morning that really got to me, so much so that it's been on my mind all day.
Eight a.m. and Rose has dropped off at the S.market on the way home from work. It was cold and damp and as I sat in the car I spotted, tied to a post a few yards from where I was parked, an obviouslty ancient border collie bitch. She was hunched up and shivering, and looking somewhat confused. Not being able to ignore her I took the boys blanket from the back of my car, they didn't need it, and walked over to her, I placed it over her and sat down with her hoping she'd get some comfort from a friendly arm around her shoulders. She appeared to be well fed so I did'nt really consider the thought that she might have been dumped, and in fact she hadn't. for shortly an old man came out of the shop and came to her, she tried very hard to greet him but it was all too much effort, I attempted to explain what I was doing but he just looked through me, gathered up her lead and walked off.
Here's the thing though, it was quite plain that both she and her owner were crippled with athritis, he limped along with the aid of a stick and his old dog was frankly struggling to keep up, even at the slow pace he was capable of, but she somehow managed, with frequent halts and sit downs, to reach the end of the store and out of my sight.
My first thoughts were that in no way could I allow one of my dogs to get to that stage, when movement became such a painful thing to achieve, I would have to make that awful trip to the vets, familiar to many of us. Then I got to thinking that maybe this old pair only had each other for company, I'm no spring chicken, but this chap could have given me a few good years. It occured to me that perhaps each was waiting for the other to cross the bridge before going to sleep themselves.
I'm probably just being fanciful, but the sight of that ancient and stuggling along behind her equally ancient and tired looking boss, has stuck in my mind all day, and I'm damned if I can shake it.
On a lighter note, I've had the shooting dates through the post and Skye will be making his debut on the 22nd of this month. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a teeny bit anxious..

G

·
I was about to start this post with 'what a shame....' but it's not really, is it? These two are probably all each other have and I can't think of a better life companion to see out the end of my days with.

Very touching.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
There is an old fella near to us with an ancient GSD; it takes the pair of them the time it takes me to do my whole circuit of the park to walk round a tiny part of it. They stop for a rest constantly. I felt sad at first as you did - but then came to the same conclusion as you.

His dog looks cared for and loved and he talks to her when they sit and rest. Think it's just the two of them against the world.

Skye making his debut; what could possibly go wrong? It's not like the little fella's a magnet for drama or anything is it??? :blink:.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hi SP,

I would have felt the same way as you and it would have stayed in my mind as well for a long while.

Before I became a converted Springer spaniel owner, I, too, owned a gorgeous sweet-natured B&W border collie who was everything to me and she lived to a grand age of 17 1/2 years. In the end, her walks at the end were slow but she still went to the door wanting to go. I did try her with a walk around the garden but she wasn't having any of that! I was rather reluctant to say the least but whilst keeping an eye on her for any discomfort, she showed determination. When she didn't go to the back door, I knew that not even a short walk was of any interest to her.

It is very poignant when you see situations like this and call me soppy, but they are keeping each other going. :)

Understandable to feel anxious but I'm sure that Skye will do you proud after all the hard work you have put in together! :)

G

·
Thank you for your kindness in making the wee darlings wait more bearable, it's hard to see and heart rending but also makes you smile through the tear.

Can't wait to hear how Skye does and It's normal to be a bit nervous so I'm told when it's the dogs first time at a shoot I'm sure he will do well!

·
Registered
751 Posts
:crying::crying::crying::crying:

Watery eyes as usual at your posts. Very moving story.

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
My grandmother puts me in mind of your story Pete. When her and my grandfather adopted their dog Jilly, the rescue said to my grandfather that this dog was untrainable. Now I don't agree with the way that they tapped a dog on the nose with a newspaper and being a different generation they didn't click train but Jilly got through her wilful years (Molly has nothing on what I remember of Jilly's behaviour) and grew into a very mature dog who mostly thought she was human really. When my grandfather died she became a constant companion for my grandmother and slowed down to suit my gran who reaches her 90th birthday next month. Daily they went for walks and whilst my gran's village is isolated, Jilly brought her new friends when she moved here just two months before my grandfather's death and then found herself suddenly a widow. I bet that lots of people wondered why an elderly lady was walking a big collie/lab/god knows what cross!

We sadly had Jilly PTS two years ago as her back legs just gave up. It was heartbreaking as all her other faculties were working but she simply became immovable.

My grandmother knew it was the right thing but to this day she misses that dog so much as I think she thought they'd go together. It's the first time that I have seen my grandmother without a dog in her life. Luckily all her grandchildren including me have adopted dogs so she still gets to walk around the village with her. This summer we all went together with our dogs with her on what we now call the Jilly walk as she hadn't been able to it alone since Jilly's death.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
When I was a little girl there used to be a lady we called Muriel (no idea if that actually was her name!!) She was in her own twilight years shall we say, and no matter what you'd see her shuffling along, walking her elderly dogs round the town.
Every so often the dog(s) would change, but they were always old and slow.
Goodness knows were she found them.

Sometimes I imagine myself like that one day, happily pottering along, fostering or rehoming old dogs and giving them a nice last few years at a nice, slow pace of life!! :eek:

Good luck for the shoot x

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an old fella near to us with an ancient GSD; it takes the pair of them the time it takes me to do my whole circuit of the park to walk round a tiny part of it. They stop for a rest constantly. I felt sad at first as you did - but then came to the same conclusion as you.

His dog looks cared for and loved and he talks to her when they sit and rest. Think it's just the two of them against the world.

Skye making his debut; what could possibly go wrong? It's not like the little fella's a magnet for drama or anything is it??? :blink:.
Yeah..Right...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your kindness in making the wee darlings wait more bearable, it's hard to see and heart rending but also makes you smile through the tear.

Can't wait to hear how Skye does and It's normal to be a bit nervous so I'm told when it's the dogs first time at a shoot I'm sure he will do well!
Yes, no matter how many ''First days'' you have, they're always full of trepidation. I'm sure he'll be O.K.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Lovely tale Pete brought a tear to my eye - not always what it seems though :( My very old dad walks Dougie every day, have had folk (including family) say its too much for him out and about walking for miles with a big dog but he adores Dougie. Its his break a bit of sanity in mums mad dementia world, yes Dad has a dodgy hip but he would give up if he couldnt have his daily walks with his best bud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.