Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sad update on dog getting bitten

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kristy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

to update from my last thread, my sisters dog a jack rustle was attacked by a bullmastiff type dog a few days ago and today sadly lost her fight for life:(
    after surviving the 3 hour long op to try and put her together again she sadly had major organ failure due to ruptured organs?i think, my sister was crying the whole time trying to tell me.
    Seems such a waste of a little life although she had a good one, she was origanally a stray and lived with my sister for 11 happy years. i did ask for help regarding what could be done about the owners who let their dog loose on a public street, ive tried to let my sister know what she can do but at the moment she is far to upset to do much, she doesnt have kids at home so im sure everyone on here knows how they become like our children.
    is there any advice on her other dog who is now pining for her mate, jess has lived with bob all her life and is now searching the house for her friend:( will she just learn to be on her own?

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Yes she will learn, but it will take time.The dog will also be picking up your sister's grief, so as long as she is grieving, then the dog will too.

Such terrible news, I am so sorry. I would be deverstated if it were one of mine. Please convey this to your sister.

If not already done you should report the owners x

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im so sorry for her loss.

When she is ready she really needs to report this dogs owner, to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Im not sure about her remaining dog. I know they do pine, but ive no experience of it, and wouldnt know how to help.

I cant imagine what shes going through.

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry for your sister's loss

With regards to her other dog, tell your sister to give him lots of TLC. Yes the dog is going to pine - hopefully with any luck not for long. Dante went through depression right after woody died after New Years eve and his behaviour changed. He was a different dog even after 2 months of woody passing away.

In the end we were all depressed by Dante's depressive behaviour that we bought Mika, a new playmate for him. But your sister shouldn't make that decision so soon unless she feels ready to. But for now, tell her lots of TLC for the other dog!

5. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

oh no :( im so sorry for her loss :(

6. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

How awful for your sister and Jess. Its bad enough to lose a dog but to lose it this way is just awful and so totally shocking. She definitely needs to report this if she hasn't already done so. Next time it could be a small child. You must be feeling quite helpless too and I know if somebody upset one of my siblings I'd be really upset on their behalf.

7. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

yes im totally gutted for her and dont quite know what to say, its made even harder as i have just had my litter so im sat here happy about my dogs and her loss is so upsetting. I will be talking to her more over the next few days about reporting the other dogs owners as now my sister dosent dare walk her other dog down the street as the other dog lives at the end of my sisters road:( think my sister is more hurt as both her dogs were on a lead at the time of the attack and although she tried to pick both up she lost her grip on bobby as both dogs were panicing and scared so she feels to blame in a way, but i believe she did everything she could and im sure she will see that in time

8. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear of your sisters loss..:(

Time is a great healer xxxx

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've been where your sister is now and my heart goes out to her :(, it's not an easy thing to go through and there are so many questions she will be asking herself. The best thing you can do is be there if she want's a cuddle or want's to have a good cry which I'm sure you will be.

Terri

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

oh no thats terrible! im so sorry:( x

11. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

so sorry for everyones loss...:(

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

ohh no this is just awful:( so sorry for your sister loss. And yes when she is ready she really needs to report this, as i am sure she wouldnt want someone else to have to go through this.

13. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness how terrible. I didn't see the original thread but this is so upsetting.

Please pass on my condolences to your poor sister, how terrible for her. I am sure that she can help the other dog get through this as much as the dog will help her get through her grief! I am just so sorry, when she is ready she needs to report the dog owner, no one should have to suffer because of someones stupidity in letting a dog like that lose and they should be punished for it! their dog needs to be destroyed!

Izzie

14. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Just read this I am so very sorry I cant imagine how your poor sister is feeling she must be devastated but when she feels up to it yes this dog needs to be reported .
    The other dog is going to pine for a while too until the poor thing gets used to the fact that his little friend is no longer there

15. animallover111

Really sorry to read the sad news :(

16. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear your news.. :crying:

Oscar was like that for a couple of months after Suzie died..
    We just had to give him lots of attention and cuddles..
    We also took him on lots of long walks to take his mind off Suzie..

Whatever she does, dont get another dog as yet..
    The poor dog might think her friend has been replaced and may take it out on the newcomer....

17. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

yea i totally agree on not getting another at the moment and to be honset i think it will take a long time for my sister to come to terms with what has happened.
    thanks everyone for their kind words and i will show my sister the messages so she knows there are people who care and understand.

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Oh my your poor sister, how sad for her :(

xxx

19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How very sad. Someone should have reported the dog immediately though. Not sure the police can take a lot of action so long after the event. Still worth trying so if your sister doesnt want to do it can you report them. The dog should be put down, in fact I am surprised the owners can bring themselves to keep it after that.

20. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

the dog warden was aware of the attack, a few people from the area helped free Bob from the dogs jaws,and as far as i know they contacted the dog warden. however our local dog warden says dog on dog fights are nature????
    the owners of the other dog took my sister to the vets and left her there:(, i do know the dog has escaped and killed a local cat in the past too. as for putting the dog down im not sure that would be for the best, i do know that some dogs have dog aggression and do understand that that is nature and dont feel that if the dog is friendly towards people that the dog deserves to die, however the owners need something doing as its their fault there dog was out without a lead,their fault they are not capable of keeping her under controll, i just wish there was someway of getting the owners to take responsability for their dog. its so hard...
    i will give our local police a call tomorrow and see where she stands, i just feel that if the owners cant look after their dog then they should maybe have it removed and placed in a home who can controll and understand such a large dog.
    and yes its worrying us all at the moment as like mentioned what if it gets a child next time...thats why i feel something has to be done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice