Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sad to be here

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Gillian, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

I've just joined this forum for some help and advice. My wonderful JR Holly, had a few fits 6 months ago. She recovered well but went blind. She coped marvellously and her ears and sense of smell helped out. She mapped out the house and was happy to run about on the beach, following us as we called for her. Sadly Holly has had another cluster of fits this week. This time however she has become totally disoriented and wanders round the house hour after hour, bumping into walls and doors. It's heartbreaking to watch and despite being prescribed vallium it's made no difference. We went out for a walk today but she was clearly unhappy.

In the past, the animals I've shared my life with have always let me know when they've had enough - no appetite, listless and an attitude they've given up. But Holly isn't like that. She's eating well, happy to jump up on the sofa for a cuddle and remarkably fit and well. But as I write this she circling the room, banging into things and I just can't see that she has any quality of life.

Have any of you any ideas of suggestions that would help?

Gillian

2. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

how old is she?

could it be that her hearing is going a bit, or possibly she may have slight brain damage or something like that. what has your vet said?

3. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

Sorry forgot to say she's fifteen - but was a very fit one. The vet probably thinks she has a brain tumour.

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh poor girl, trouble is the fits can do some damage as well every time she has some she'll proberly get worse.

if shes fit and well, why not while your not able to supervise her put her in a kiddys playpen there nice and soft so if she dumps it she will not get hurt.

but very sorry to say shes proberly getting to the end and if shes got a tumor in her brain at 15 which is a really good age.

5. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

We have been considering a playpen but she seems to have huge urge to wander. Even when we hold her she struggles to be free.

It's just so difficult to make 'the decision' when she looks so well.

It's nice to hear other peoples comments.

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yes it is went through it not long ago
    its very hard when they are part of the family.

7. Fade to Grey

cant you get a big play pen?
    "the decision" is very hard even when you know it's the time.

how long ago where the last set of fits, it might just be that she's still recovering from them?

8. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

The last fits were on Mon/Tues this week. I'll certainly give her some time and hope for some improvement. She's wandered for two hours so far this afternoon. She looks exhausted, has had 5ml of valium and Rescue Remedy today but just won't settle.

9. Fade to Grey

im not sure what to say then
    hopefully this is something time will cure?
    hope all goes well fingures crossed for you

10. tarot

tarot PetForums Junior

Hi Gillian

So sorry to hear of your problems with with Holly. I know what it's like to have a dog that fits as our youngest fits quite badly.

Did she wander before the last lot of fits or is it something that has started since the fits. The reason I ask is that Kenny cluster fits and although we also have valium to give him it does not always work so we have to take him to the vets so they can bring him out of the fit. One of the main symtoms that he is still in the fit is that he wanders about bumping into things and seems very disorientated. He will respond to our voices but is very distant.

It may be worth phoning your vet to see what they advise.

Yvonne

11. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

She only wandered for about an hour or so after each fit (she had 3 in 6 days) and didn't bump into things. She had 5 fits over Mon/Tues and has wandered constantly think. Apart from valium the vet can't suggest anything - she actually fitted on the vet's table. She's settled now, thankfully. I'll be creeping round on tiptoes for the rest of the evening. Poor soul. She the dog of a lifetime and the thing I love most in life. Luckily two ex-husbands and current OH also love her and understand!!!

12. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

'constantly SINCE'

13. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh bless glad she settled
    when you give her a cuddle give her one from me :)

14. Cuddles and luv from me too.....

15. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

Well we finally bit the bullet today and Holly made that sad last trip to the vets. We took her to the beach in the rain first thing and she could wander about to her hearts content without bumping into things.

The vet was great, gave her a thorough exam and told us she was unlikely to improve and would just go downhill. For the past fifteen years she has rarely left my side and she went quietly to sleep with us cuddling her and saying how much we loved her. Oh, if every dog in the world could have her life and death.

We had planned to bury her in a small wood I own but I decided she always wanted to be by my side so we took her to be cremated. In a day or two, she'll come home to stay. When I finally pop my clogs Holly and I will be together for all eternity. Tonight I feel as if part of me has died. Holly was a dog of a lifetime and I was very priviledged to share her life.

Many people will shed a tear or two tonight for a odd looking Jack Russell born in a dogs home.

Goodbye Holly and thank you for your love, loyalty and friendship. You will be missed more than you will ever know. Sleep peacefully Special Pup. xxx

16. claire

claire Guest

sorry to hear that , its very very sad

17. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

If you don't mind shedding a tear, I think the sentiment on this website sums up what we'd all like to believe...

Heavenly Paws Home Page

18. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

sorry for your loss, its heart breaking like losing a part of yourself :( that ssuch a nice website and very touching

19. tarot

tarot PetForums Junior

So sorry to hear about Holly. If it's any consolation you know you gave her a good life and had the courage to do the right thing when it was needed. It's the one thing we all have to go thro and it is heartbreaking.

I think everyone who has had dogs or other pets know exactly how you are feeling.

yvonne

20. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about Holly, so heartbreaking very very sad .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice