Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sad Rehoming Thread

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jellypi3, May 18, 2017.

1. Jellypi3

Jellypi3 Slave to the devil cats

Hello Everyone,

Some of you might remember me - I used to be a very active member on here with my two cats, Dante and Bea.

I'm sad to have to return here on these grounds, but it looks like we need to rehome the cats.

My grandparents live with me and my Grandad's allergies are quite bad because of the cats. We have tried everything - air purifiers, antihistamines, washing the cats with a wet flannel, outdoor time, eye drops.

The only solution we have found that works is to essentially shut the cats out of every communal room in the house, plus bedrooms. This means they are starved for attention. Bea is especially craving attention unfortunately.

This means the only thing I can think of is to rehome them somewhere they will be loved and cared for. It's breaking my heart but I can't think of another option.

As a bit of info:

Bea is a Ragdoll. She's 3 years old. Incredibly affectionate, cuddly, loves snuggles. Bit of a sensitive tummy so only really eats Cosma Thai chicken or Wainwrights dry food. Is quite shy with new people until she warms up to them. Loves to play, and will play fetch with her white mice.

Dante is a Maine coon. Also 3 years old. A bit of a live wire, and can be a bit unpredictable with his affection (wants love on minute, wants to attack and bite the next). He's extremely playful, loves laser toys and wand toys. Also loves being outside (supervised).

I've spoken to Bea's breeder who unfortunately can't help at the moment, although she is trying to find people interested in older cats.

I wondered if you lot knew of any resources (or if anyone is looking to extend their family?).

Thanks a lot.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Oh @Jellypi3 I am so sorry :( I wish I could offer advice for Bea and Dante to be able to stay with you :(
    I know Bea's breeder will do all she can to help. The breed clubs can often help with rehoming and some have their own welfare sections. There is a Facebook group for rehoming neutered pedigrees too if these are any help.

ewelsh and Jellypi3 like this.
  3. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Oh such very sad news

I really hope they can find a loving forever home together.

How's your new little family?

4. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear this. This must be so hard for you as you can see the love you have for your cats. I know of a couple rescues in Essex (one in Billericay and one near Manningtree).

5. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

Really very sad to hear this :(, it doesn't seem like 3 years since you brought them home as little bundles of fluff and we were all so excited for you!

Do they get on with each other, if so I hope they can be rehomed together.

Hope all is well with the human baby and that GFs allergies can be brought under control.

6. Jellypi3

Thanks Lyn, the facebook group would be great if you have it. I'll get in contact with the breed clubs too.

Thanks HB. I am so gutted and feel like a failure but I see it as being best for them and my grandad.

Family is great thanks, Rowan is getting very big, walking, talking, a proper little toddler now. Makes every day that bit more special :) Thank you for asking. How are your gorgeous brood?

7. Jellypi3

Thanks do you know their names? I Contact one in Colchester but they won't take pedigrees on sadly.

Thanks JB. It doesn't feel like 3 years does it? They get on OK-ish together. They certainly don't cuddle up and spend time grooming each other but if one is removed from the house (vets, goes outside etc) the other will cry until they are reunited. I'd like them to go together although if they did get split up I don't think they would be overly concerned if you see what i mean?

8. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Jellypi3 likes this.
  9. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

Do they both get on ok with the baby? Would they be ok to rehome to families with children or would that not be an option? The less restrictive the rehoming requirements the better I guess.

huckybuck likes this.
  10. Jellypi3

They are fine with children. I'd maybe say Dante has to be watched with younger ones, he loves kids but can get carried away playing (a bit like a dog i guess) and if they go near his belly he goes a bit mental so we do have to watch Rowan with him. He also gets a bit possessive of her toys. But he's is really good in that he lets her pat him gently and stroke him. Bea tends to allow a few pats before moving away, but neither run and hide and Bea certainly doesn't get aggressive, if she feels she's being harassed she will just go to her cat tree.

The biggest restriction is that they are indoor only I guess.

11. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

I have heard back from the other rescue. She is happy to help but has asked if you can wait until after the weekend as she is in the middle of her medical appointments. If you are interested, let me know and I will PM her details.

12. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Get in touch with the Maine Coon Cat Club and Maine Coon Breed Society rehome co-ordinators as they will go to heavily vetted homes that you won't get with a rescue.

As already mentioned, the neutered pedigree rehome group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/546671018714407/ and has tons of people looking for older rehomes.

Well done for going back to the breeders first, so many people don't and the breeder is left clueless. This is an awful thing to go through, I hope you're ok.

Tigermoon and lymorelynn like this.
  13. Jellypi3

Thank you, yes please i'd really appreciate her details.

Thanks, unfortunately I can't seem to contact Dante's breeder although I have tried (and i'm hoping she sees this message if she's still active on here!) But Bea's breeder was very sympathetic, I was very scared of telling her in case she'd be annoyed but she was totally understanding, it's just a crying shame it's kitten season and her hands are full which I totally get.

#13 Jellypi3, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    chloe1975 likes this.
  14. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Oh i'm sorry to here about this, I love Bea's markings I think she's beautiful. I'd love to help but I don't think Neville would appreciate an intruder in his space :(

Edit to say I realise that's not very helpful! I hope you find somewhere good for them to go, where abouts are you? o can ask around :)

15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Awww I am so sorry for you, you have tried all avenues sending big hugs to you.

All the members have given such sound advice. I'm sure you will find beautiful homes through the pedigree renominates centres.

I wish them both well in their new homes.

Jellypi3 likes this.
  16. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

cava14 una, PetloverJo and Jellypi3 like this.
  17. Jellypi3

Thank you. I'm in Essex on the Essex/Suffolk Border.

Thanks OR, i'll check them out. I'm devastated, i love them so much but it's not fair, especially on Bea. Dante is quite unbothered by the lack of attention but Bea just cries outside the door when its shut, shes so sad :(

18. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Rufus15 likes this.
  19. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm so sorry @Jellypi3, this is such a shame, I know you must be so sad to have to make this decision. Sounds like you've been given some good options so hopefully a good home will be found for your beautiful babes very soon.

#19 Charity, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  20. chloe1975

chloe1975 Maine Coon slave :)

Hi @Jellypi3 I haven't been around a while but if you message me I think I can help with Dante xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice