Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sad news and on my own

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Starr1998, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Starr1998

Starr1998 PetForums Newbie

I'm new here and have received sad news about my 14 year old cat Starr this morning. As suspected she has cancer (a tumour near her heart). There were no signs until very recently when she started acting like an elderly lady. Numerous visits to the vet finally confirmed things this morning and we're now facing palliative care along with the use of steroids. I'm just devastated, I've known my two cats (Ringo and Starr) longer than my husband! They've been through so much with me. The thought of facing the inevitable is just so upsetting. I just needed to share this.

2. Tao2

Tao2 PetForums VIP

That's such sad news. Is horrible to hear when you are on your own and don't have any moral support, am sure you are devastated. Had the vet suggested before that it might besuch bad news? Try and make the most of the time you have left together.

Was on my own when my cat died and I blubbed all over a passing neighbour, who was very kind but probably actually horrified!!

Thinking of you
    Tao

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you have received such sad news about Starr :(:(
    Sending a gentle hug your way ((())). I know it won't help ease the pain but just to let you know that I, and many others on here too I'm sure, have been through such heartache and understand how you feel :(
    I hope the rest of Starr's time with you is as happy as it can be so that you are left with lovely memories of her.
    A sad welcome to the forum

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Big hugs coming your way as words wouldn't do it justice.

5. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry. Hope she isn't in too much pain and you can have some quality time together. Take lots of photos - they become very precious.

6. Miri

Miri PetForums Senior

Welcome to the forum and *hugs*.

I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news, and like many others here, have been through the pain of losing a beloved cat. We lost our Nicky (also aged 14) to congestive heart failure in June this year, and had known for quite a while that her days were numbered.

I don't know if it will help at all, but this is the way I coped when Nicky and my mum (who died 14 years ago) were terminally ill. I forced myself to try and focus on one day at a time and tried to fill the lives of my dying loved ones as full of love, fun and joy as I could. I treasured each and every day I had left with them and managed to find something to hold onto in searching for gifts/treats/ways to pamper them that would bring them happiness or relief from pain/discomfort. It didn't make the final goodbye any easier, but hopefully they both died knowing that they were dearly loved, and for my own part, I was left with some treasured memories from those difficult last few weeks/months. These memories helped me during the grief afterwards.

Here's hoping that the vet is able to keep Starr comfortable up until the end and wishing you comfort during this difficult time.

By the way, do you still have Ringo?

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about Starr. It can be such a shock hearing news like this.

However, what you've described sounds like mediastinal lymphoma (thymic) and lymphoma is one of the more treatable cancers. So I'd speak to your vet about all the options available. I'm not talking about invasive treatments or drug regimes but cat's (contrary to what people think) owing to the much smaller doses tolerate chemo very well, for instance. However, you do need to have a good oncologist on board-your vet could consult with one pn your behalf.

8. Starr1998

Starr1998 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts. Some asked questions so here goes. Starr has been diagnosed with Carcinoma (unsure of spelling) which the vet said would not respond to chemotherapy or radiation treatment. I was told to expect one of three results but that was the worst one apparently. I wasn't expecting to hear the results back so soon and believed I was attending an appointment yesterday with Starr to check how she was dealing with the steroids. My sister had offered to come with me (as my husband had to be at work) but I turned her down thinking it was just a check up for now. I was truly shocked when the vet told me the news (although half prepared for bad news I wasn't ready for it yesterday). I'm on the brink of tears all the time and very reluctant to leave the house because I keep thinking the inevitable is iminent but the vet told me it could be weeks, or months but no longer than that. Someone asked if Ringo was still around, yes he is, he's Starr's brother and was the one I expected to go first as he suffers with epilepsy and is a little on the eccentric side but no, he's going through one of his upbeat phases at the moment. I have found him curled around Starr in her bed quite a lot lately which warms the heart. My husband is very supportive and understands how the cats are like children to me (we have no children). So, I'm going to do as advised, treasure my time with Ringo and Starr (and hope I'm not freaking Starr out too much by being over-attentive, just can't help myself!). Everyone seems nice on this forum and I shall log in regularly. Thanks again. x

9. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I am so sorry to hear your news, I know exactly what you are going through, my beloved Dennis was diagnosed with lymphoma back in July, to say it was a shock is a total understatement, he was just 13. It is an awful feeling and I have so much empathy for you. Do take lots of photos whilst she is still reasonably ok, spend lots of time with her and make the most of the cuddles she gives. I am so glad I did that with Den, although it hasn't made the pain of losing him any less, it is one less thing to beat myself up about the fact that during those last months, he was denied absolutely nothing. They are such a worry and losing them hurts like crazy, look after yourself as well though, it's easy to ignore your own needs during these times. Starr knows how much she is loved, take that as a comfort.

Sending you lots of kind thoughts and hugs x

10. melbury

melbury PetForums VIP

so sorry about your news lots of nice people here to help best wishes :)

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

im so sorry to hear your sad news, how heartbreaking,im sending you a big hug, and remember there is allways someone on here to talk to if you need us,

12. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

so sorry to hear your sad news, its heartbreaking and i really dont know what to say, sending many hugs and thinking of you all. we are all here to help you if you need us.xxx

13. mum to 14 kitties

mum to 14 kitties PetForums Junior

You have just made me chuckle. I have fab neighbors and in August my little pet rat died. I hand reared her from 7 days old and was destroyed, the odd thing was even though I had "mothered" her as an infant and cared for her when she was elderly, when I knew she had gone I could'nt touch her in case I hurt her, such are the bizarre workings of a human mind.:confused:

So I presented myself to my neigbours sobbing and full of snot and they kindly supplied a shoe box and a fluffy towel and got Scratchy out of her pen, wrapping her up until the man from the pet crem came and got her.

They probably think I am completely bonkers but are kind enought not to voice it. :001_rolleyes:

Mandy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice