Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sad little fish.

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Orla92, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Orla92

Orla92 PetForums Junior

Hey guys!
    Okay, so i have this young guppy, about 6 months or so now i think, he was given to me as a tiny fry accidentally in a bag of guppies i got from my local aquatics shop.
    He did really well, quite brave and friendly. But i had fin rot/pin tail sweep through my tank rapidly and kill off most of my guppies (Even with treatment and segregation).
    He however, survived and looked completely healthy.
    But over the past two to three weeks, he's stopped swimming, he just slithers along the bottom of the tank. Finds his favourite plant and just chills under it's big leaf for a while.
    I've done water changes, treatments etc. I even completely pulled apart my 100ltr tank and replaced absolutely everything. (using filter media from my other healthy tank) But nothing, he still lies there looking sad and lonely.
    Over the past couple of days he had one or two occasions where he did swim up and met with all his friends for a few seconds but then just sinks back down again.
    In a last ditch effort, i have set up my very old Fluval tank as a hospital tank and put him in there. Starting a new treatment. But i worry now that with no friends to even very occasionally swim with, he'll get worse.
    Help? Advice? I'm losing my mind!

2. Orla92

Orla92 PetForums Junior

My little fish died :(

3. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

So sorry your little fish died, Guppies these days seem to be fragile little fish.

In the future, I have had good results with using the aquarium co-op medication recommendation. He recommends 3 medicines for quarantine or illness but here in the UK we can only get two so that's what I go for ichX and API general cure dose in the tank for 1 week then do a water change.

For mild issues, I do try daily water changes and salt at 1 tablespoon per gallon before going to medication.

What are your water parameters? Do you use a test kit?

4. Orla92

Orla92 PetForums Junior

Thankyou :).
    I was really hoping I could save him, he looked so happy those two occasions he willed the strength to swim for a couple of seconds :(.
    I will definitely try that in future. I may just grab some and keep them in.

I did do daily water changes for a little while but I never added the salt, I'd heard horror stories about adding salt!

Picklelily likes this.
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Salt is ok if you are very specific about your dosing.
    Yes I keep those medications in stock now. Aquarium co-op have a YouTube channel with agood video about them
    I would definitely test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite regularly particularly if you have had a few health issues. I test twice weekly as a matter of routine

6. Orla92

Orla92 PetForums Junior

Oh sorry! I did mean to include readings!
    Ammonia 0-0.5 (water change due!)
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate 0-5.0
    And my PH is between 6.8-7.0
    So everything was looking pretty good:(.
    I'm contemplating getting a TDS reader, have you got any experience with those?
    I will definitely check that video out, thanks so much for your help :)

7. Orla92

Orla92 PetForums Junior

Here's a picture of my tank, if you're interested! Apologies for the slime on the wood, it's relatively new!

Attached Files:

Picklelily likes this.
  8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

My tank does keep my ammonia at 0 even when I'm due a change so in a sensitive fish that might be your issue. My filter is extremely mature though and way over sized for the tank. You can double dose with seachem prime daily to counteract the bad effects of ammonia as just a tiny bit can be harmful. I haven't looked back since I swapped to prime.
    I don't have experience of a TDS meter what I tend to do is use the tetra 6 in 1 strips for hardness. I know lots of people don't like the strips but I find the tetra ones reflect my API general kit tests quite well and if I cut the strips in half lengthwise the costs stay down.
    The API kit doesn't test hardness so without a TDS meter that's my solution anyway
    I do nowdays have a tiny bit of coral gravel in my tank to add some extra minerals to help the livebearers and my snails.

My son is home at the weekend I will ask him about the meters.

9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Ohh your tank looks gorgeous I like that plant what is it?
    This is my new 140 litre tank which has been running since June and planted since the middle of July. We are changing the pipes for clear at the weekend. This was just before a water change so the level is a bit low
    I also have a 90 litre which is about 10 years old and a 12 litre quarantine tank.

IMG_20180818_123828737.jpg IMG_20180818_123828737.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Orla92

Orla92 PetForums Junior

Really? Wow. I expect that with higher skilled fish but not really guppies! But I will give that a go because I really hate losing fish. I lost my favourite guppy when I had a massive issue with pin tail. I was heart broken, so I genuienally appreciate the advice.

I've been doing a bit of research on them and the thoughts are quite mixed so I haven't quite made my mind up. I have a digital PH tester and that just makes like a thousand times easier whilst being as if not more accurate, so a TDS meter would be handy.

Ahh thankyou! This is all relatively new as I said, I ripped everything out when I had the issue with pin tail so it doesn't look as established as yours! Yours is beautiful.
    What fish do you keep?
    The plant is Hygrophilia pinnatifida, it seems to be doing really well at the minute. However, my dwarf grass is taking it's time!

Well after my little fish, I think I'll be keeping my fluval tank running as a quarantine tank. Staying up until the wee hours on a Sunday morning setting up a tank for a poorly fish is not an experience I'd like to repeat!

Picklelily likes this.
  11. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I feel your pain on the quarantine tank, I had been hoping to takemine down but like you I have found it easier to keep it going after having to rush set it up for a sick fish.
    Sadly I think Guppies are no longer the hardy little fish they used to be.

I currently have my husband's baby Mollies in the 140 as it has only been running since June although I had been preparing for it since March by cycling media in my other filter.
    In the 90 I have cardinal tetras, black neon tetras, a Betta, 3 female Mollies, Malaysian trumpet snails, a nerite snail and two baby rabbit snails.

I would like to get some shrimp soon and ImI trying to persuade my hubby on another tank for pea puffers.

12. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I'm definitely looking for that plant I love the leaf shape.

13. Nadz1675

Nadz1675 PetForums Newbie

If it is staying there for long periods of time, it may be sick. Check your water quality with test kits, make small water changes. A more proper analysis can be made with more data like water temp, aquarium size, other tank mates, water change frequency etc.

Hopefully it doesn't have an infection. Look for swelling near it's belly. Could just be sick from the water. So make sure to clean the water and check it's levels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice