Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sad day

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nic76, May 27, 2010.

1. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

i took my friend to nottingham today to collect her new cavalier puppy. when we got there she looked thinner than she had 3 weeks ago when visiting and putting down a deposit.the breeder said it was maybe because she had been wormed. anyway she said she was doing well and was eating fine but she was covered in flaky skin which the breeder said she thought was because she had fleaed her(i think its mites). i think jo thought she could fatten her up and sort out her dandruff looking coat.

we had been home about 2 hrs when she started going wobbly and couldnt stand up. (she had drunk 2 bowls of water when she got to jo's house which i wasnt sure was good) anyway she was then sick and had a major bout of upset tummy. we took her straight to vets who sent us 25 mins up the road to vet hospital saying she was dehydrated. she died in jo's arms on the way.....:(

the breeder asked the vets for a post mortum and also had a parvo check and all came back clear so it must have been dehydration. luckily jo was given 4 weeks already activated petplan insurance so she can claim cost of puppy back but i really think that the breeder should be giving her the money back.why should she get £500 and the pup was dead within 5 hrs.

feeling stressed and very sad

#1 nic76, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

OMG thats awful, poor pup and poor you two, sounds like the breeder was trying to make excuses for the poor thing being poorly, so sorry.

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Aww bless, thats not right!!

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That is terrible!! RIP little pup :crying:

5. EmmaSmith

EmmaSmith PetForums Junior

Oh that's heartbreaking. :( RIP little girl. xx

6. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

OMG thats awful. My thoughts are with you and your friend x

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That is so, so sad.

Not much comfort but at least the pup was with people who cared and tried their best for her as much as they could.

Was the breeder well known or were they a bit dodgy? (obviously no need to mention names) I also think the breeder should give the money back and if they were caring, I think they would.

Hope your friend isn't put off owning a pup by the experience :(

8. rona

rona Guest

Are there still any puppies left? If so this should be reported

9. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

God what sort of breeder would sell a pup that wasnt in good health thats disgusting!

The breeder certainly owes her the money back but regardless of the money that poor pup! your friend must be gutted!

Just goes to show the importance of if you rnt sure about the health of the dog then dont buy it!

Poor little thing!

10. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

thankyou. just been looking at photos and cant believe the difference in size from 3 weeks ago. she must have had something wrong for a while.the breeder said she had weighed her and she put on weight as i had questioned her when i rang to say she had passed away. she got a bit agro at me but i just gave her vets number to call.

R.I.P Trixy xx

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

That is just terrible, any respectable breeder would not have let that puppy leave the premises, as for claiming on the insurance the breeder should refund not good at all. Thoughts are with your friend must have been so awful for her :(

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

That's dreadful - poor pup. Shame she couldnt have held on just a bit longer poor little mite. What a dreadful thing to happen.

Feel terrible for you.
    RIP little darling x

13. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

she is devastated.i just dont know what to say to her. wish i could make it all better but cant. dont think she had a photo today.shame as we could have took old photo and new photo to some sort of trading standards or something. hope it doesnt happen to the other 2 that are due to be home fri and sat. they are 7 weeks so she is letting them go early

14. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

The breeder should refund. I can't believe that the breeder sold if she was in bad health. Fair enough your friend wanted her, but I wouldn't've sold her. We took Holly at 7 weeks, however she was a lot bigger than when we saw her the week before, no harm done so far.

RIP lil pup :(

15. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

she said if we didnt think she looked healthy then she shouldnt have took her. she was really snappy on the phone

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Typical BYB :(

17. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

feel so sorry for her, bet she cant even think about another pup now at the moment either, not good hope this person gets their come uppance

18. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Poor pup, and your poor friend.

Did your friend sign a contract? Usually good breeders would ask for the pup to be seen by your own vet for a check up as soon as possible after getting the pup home (within a day or two) and will state that they will give a refund if there are any health issues discovered. I think this requires a refund.

So sorry you both had to go through this. Xx

19. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

she just signed a piece of paper saying pup had been wormed etc and has been in good health. no real contract. not like i have had when getting my dogs

20. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Oh. Did you go with her when she was viewing the puppies at all? What did the breeder seem like when you picked her up?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice