Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Russian Shepherd

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shauny, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Shauny

Shauny PetForums Newbie

Hi there

I have a 4 month old puppy and she is a cross between a Russian shepherd, setter and lab! Her dad was a Russian shepherd, but I’m curious, he had short hair and the only Russian shepherd I know are the Russian ‘ bear dogs’ which are notoriously large and fluffy! Does anyone know if Russian shepherds can be short haired? I can’t find any photos online so thought I would try here. Thanks in advance

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

The Caucasian shepherd is the fluffy one, but another Russian LGD is the Central Asian Shepherd.

It's also possible, thanks to the seredipity of coat genetics, that he inherited a labrador type coat.

Interesting mix, I have to say, I wonder what the reasoning behind it was.

Torin. likes this.
  3. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

So like all cross breeds could have any coat...enjoy for what you have!

Shauny and Happy Paws2 like this.
  4. Shauny

Shauny PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for this! Makes sense! She’s the best pooch- just so big for her age and wanted to clear up the confusion with the Caucasian shepherd! You’ve been helpful thanks so much! Here’s a wee photo of her to see her coat and the size she is compared to me

Attached Files:

LotsaDots likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice