Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Russian Hamster not drinking?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by cnnalise, Jan 23, 2020.

1. cnnalise

cnnalise PetForums Newbie

Hi, i recently got a new russian hamster.
    He seems happy in himself and is eating fine and very active, however since i got him (almost 2 weeks) he hasnt seemed to touch his water bottle? Ive tried filling it to markers so i can see how much he drinks and it barely goes down if it even goes down at all, and ive tried leaving it in a bowl and that doesnt seem to go down either, also tried dripping the water infront of him and he looks at it and walks off.
    I've never owned a russian so is it normal for them to not drink much or should i get him checked by the vet? but like i said his behavior is normal and he is still eating.

any suggestions?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hamsters only drink about 10mls per 100g of body weight a day, so a really small amount. I'm sure he is drinking, you just haven't witnissed him doing it yet. If he wasn't drinking he'd be dead by now as a hamster can only survive a day or two without water.
    It is very important that he always has access to clean, fresh water and for you to check that the bottle is flowing easily each day when you change the water.

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Tap the ball in the spout. Does water come out?

Bowl is more natural for them but not all can figure it out. My robo used it as a swimming pool :/

I normally check all the bottles at least twice a day. Once when I get up, again when I go to bed. That way I know my hams haven't gone more that 12 hrs without water.

Another thing to remember is that they're desert animals! They've adapted to get the most out of any water they drink that's why their urine smells bad.

If you are still worried, try putting some kale or spinach in their cage, this will give them a water boost. Be careful not to give too much as you'll upset their tum. Aim for the size of your finger nail on your little finger :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice