Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

russian dwarf troubles :( please help!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by dustcakegirl, Apr 9, 2011.

1. dustcakegirl

dustcakegirl PetForums Newbie

hello everyone :)

my name is maggie and i'm new to this forum and i really need some help with my new russian dwarf hamster.

before a russian dwarf i've kept a fancy rat, gerbils, and a syrian hamster. but my new russian dwarf is proving a challenge...

tonight we have had a breakthrough in that now, three days after bringing him home, he is eager to jump into my hand and run around my arms whenever i open his cage. up until this point he tried desperately to avoid me, even if i tried to bribe him with food!

hpwever even though he now seems to like me a lot better, he still won't stop biting me. when i had gerbils they always bit to familiarise themselves but it was a gentle nip that barely scratched the skin and didn't bother me at all... but this little ham brings tears to my eyes with every bite and even though he seems to be very happy and un-stressed, i'm scared to handle him because his bites hurt so much! :( and i feel bad about this because now he's so enthusiastic about being handled...

could anyone share any tips? thank you all so much

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

how old is he? I was just wondering if they were test bites, baby rats do this as they have poor eyesight, although it isnt usually a painful bite so Im a bit confused, have you tried sqealing/squeaking when he does it like you do to train a puppy with bite inhibition.

3. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Maybe your hands smell like food, try washing your hand really thoroughly before handling him. Sometimes small animals lick/bite your hands due to the salt on your hands from sweat. Has the little guy got a salt lick?

You can also try getting great handfuls of his bedding/ sawdust etc and rubbing it with your hands. Even if its a little soiled - gross i know - this can help your hands to smell "normal" to him and discourage him from biting to test it out!

Are you sure he is happy to be held? Some hamsters freak out when they are lifted out of the cage and don't feel safe being exposed. The running around could be trying to run away lol!

See how it goes, and good luck! xxx

4. dustcakegirl

dustcakegirl PetForums Newbie

he is seven weeks old and i don't think he got handled much (if at all) at the pet shop... i already squeal when he bites though D: but i try to keep it to a minimm since dwarves aren't keen on noise...

it's actually very likely that my hands smell like food as i work all day in a hotel bar! so i'll be sure to scrub my hands a lot more thoroughly and see about getting him a salt lick too. :)

thank you for your help!! i'll be sure to post back with my findings ^__^

5. Cheryl 0278

Cheryl 0278 PetForums Newbie

hello !

when your hamster is bitting you, you can blow on his nose, he will problably stop it :)

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Have you tried the bath method? Basically you get in the (empty) bath(fully clothed obviously :p) and let your hamster explore all over you, so he gets to know the smell of you and the feel of sitting on you, you will most likely find that he will enjoy the interaction and after a few sessions he will let yuou hold him, while hes on your body he will bite clothes and will not be able to bite flesh so it will build both of your confidences and his trust in humans. Please DO NOT blow in your hamsters face, he is a young animal still gaining his trust in you, a shock like that would be very very harmful to the trust gaining process and is also quite dangerous.

7. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

I wouldnt do that! With my hammies i wouldnt do anything that would cause them any reason to not trust you especially since your hammy is so young and you havent had him for very long.

I have tried various ways to build up trust with my hammies past and present and the best way i found was what tdm said about sitting in the bath and letting him walk over you and get used to your smell before you try to pick him up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice