Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Russian blue feeding amounts

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Maximusthorpimus, May 22, 2019.

1. Maximusthorpimus

Maximusthorpimus PetForums Newbie

We recently got a 6 yr Russian blue. He's about the size of a small dog and weighs about 10kg.

We aren't sure how much dry food to feed him or wet food.

We normally mix in the dry and wet for both his breakfast and dinner.

We are just worried we aren't feeding him enough. Any advice?

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

A 10 KG Russian Blue? They're supposed to be petite cats, so yours is either overweight, not a Russian, or an amazing anomaly! The amount you feed should be determined by whether he's overweight or not. Have you body condition scored him?

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  3. Maximusthorpimus

Body condition score? He's a huge cat so I don't think he's over weight. When I say huge I mean his length. He's about the length of my arm not including his tail. He has to have an large litter tray and even that looks about small for him.

4. Maximusthorpimus

He also has to use a small dog harness as cat harnesses are too smal

5. Maximusthorpimus

Not sure if you can see how long he is there

Attached Files:

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

He does look like a very large cat - he's long in the body as you say, but he looks quite chunky around the belly area, at least in your photo.

How much are you feeding him a day?

Dry food is very high in carbs and is fattening so I'd reduce the dry food to a small amount a day and feed him mainly wet food. A good quality food that is low carbs, grain free and high in meat protein (not veg protein). He may need around 350 grams a day of wet food (but only once you have reduced the dry food).

If you would like ideas for suitable foods, you may like to look at the pinned thread on here giving the carb content levels of the good quality foods from Zooplus (where many of us buy our cat foods).

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

I'd go for foods that are less than 10% carbs.

For dry food, the lowest in carbs is Thrive which you can buy from Pets at Home, or Amazon UK

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...ntPage=1&pageSize=24&orderBy=1&Brand="Thrive"

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

He looks long, but podgy as well. Russians are 'a medium-sized breed', suspect if you condition score him he will be somewhat overweight.

Weigh him once a week, cut out the dry food and gradually switch to good-quality grain-free wet - lots of choices at ZooPlus, mine get Cats Finefoods. On a wet diet not many cats will overeat, though if you feed lots of treats you can over-feed.

8. Maximusthorpimus

Thank you for the advice, what about the Sheba wet food? Or the wellness core tins?

He has a bit of a saggy belly, I think he may have been overweight in the past but I don't think he is now.

So no dry food and 350g a day in wet food?

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

350 grams a day is a rough guide. He may need more than that or he may eat less, once he is off the dry food. Be guided by him.

A saggy belly can be due to what is known as a primordial pouch. Many cats have this feature. It may have been exaggerated in your cat if he was overweight at some point and stored a lot of fat in his pouch.

http://news.petmeds.com/news/common-pet-conditions/why-do-many-cats-have-a-saggy-belly/

His tummy should feel quite squashy most of the time, it should not feel hard or stretched like a drum.

10. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

IMG_3765.PNG

I can find it harder body condition scoring cats over dogs but this should give you an idea.

11. Maximusthorpimus

Thanks to both of you. I think he is between a 5 or 6 but I'm not great at telling. He's rather greedy so we don't want to over feed him

12. Maximusthorpimus

What do you reckon?

Attached Files:

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well, I'd say more like a 7 looking at him from the back view in your 2nd photo. He does seem a bit tubby around the middle area. He is only 6 yrs old so quite a young cat still, so I would expect him to look quite lithe and muscular. Does he go outdoors and get plenty of exercise?

You don't want to overfeed him as you say, but bear in mind any weight loss must be very gradual (no more than about one or 2 ounces a week) or there is a danger of him becoming very ill with liver lipidosis.

Can you work out how much you're feeding him at present (using scales to weigh the dry food) and added to the pouches of wet food, so at least you have a starting point to go from.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice