Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Rupert ate some chocolate frosting is he at risk?!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, Mar 31, 2011.


  1. GoldenShadow

    GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,496
    Likes Received:
    556
    Hoping you'll all say no, can't get hold of the emergency vet locally to damn well ask :rolleyes:

    Frosting had a couple tbsp cocoa powder in and about 50g dark chocolate with 350g icing sugar, cream and 150g butter and some vanilla extract. He licked a small area probably about 2 inches by 1 inch off the edge of the cake (it was in the middle, on the top and sides etc). Bit worried as I know like a teensy amount of dark chocolate and cocoa are deadly to them :(

    He never normally nicks things he's getting so greedy in the evenings and I don't know why :nonod:

    Anyone? :(
     
  2. ian1969uk

    ian1969uk PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Messages:
    338
    Likes Received:
    1
    99% likely he'll be fine :)
     
  3. WaveRider

    WaveRider PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    Messages:
    456
    Likes Received:
    17
    I really wouldn't be concerned about your dog having licked some chocolate. The amount of theobromine would be so minimal that i would doubt it would even bring about diarrhoea.
     
  4. rona

    rona Guest

  5. Ducky

    Ducky PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2008
    Messages:
    4,349
    Likes Received:
    65
    he will be absolutely fine!!
     
  6. GoldenShadow

    GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,496
    Likes Received:
    556
    Thanks :eek:

    I am so aware that a few grams of cocoa powder and a few more grams of dark chocolate are deadly and the frosting/buttercream had all those in :rolleyes::

    Dunno why he's getting so greedy lately he seems to go through really odd phases :(
     
  7. ian1969uk

    ian1969uk PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Messages:
    338
    Likes Received:
    1
    Chocolate isn't harmful to all dogs.

    It can be harmful is very different to it will be harmful, so don't worry too much.
     
  8. Marley boy

    Marley boy PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    3,753
    Likes Received:
    93
    I dont think you have got anything to worry about, i dont think that is enough to harm your dog. My mums dog ate a 16 person chocolate cake and she was rushed to the vets, had the equivalent of a doggy stomach pump but she was fine thank god.
     
  9. Marley boy

    Marley boy PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    3,753
    Likes Received:
    93
  10. WaveRider

    WaveRider PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    Messages:
    456
    Likes Received:
    17

    Referring to the chart on the link a Golden Retriever would need to consume 130g of cocoa powder to be potentially at risk of death.

    In this case thats a lot of cocoa to attempt to consume in a lick! :tongue_smilie:

    I wouldn't worry at all about it.... Crack open a bottle of wine, put your feet up and relax :D
     
  11. bagpuss4

    bagpuss4 PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    114
    Likes Received:
    1
    Baxter when he was 3 months old stole one of my chocolate fairy cakes which i made guzzled the lots paper case and all! apart for a bit diarrhoea (serves him right) that be the choclate buttercram icing he was fine.
     
  12. NicoleW

    NicoleW PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2010
    Messages:
    3,953
    Likes Received:
    68
    You say he's eating a lot, have you checked for worms? :)

    I'm sure he'll be fine, Duke just raided my cupboard and ate my Easter Egg.

    Well.. I'm blaming Duke anyway ;-)
     
  13. Statler

    Statler PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    Messages:
    129
    Likes Received:
    7
    my spaniel would be in trouble, if a lick is dangerous, mine once ate a full box of celebrations including wrappers and box with no ill effects, there just isnt enough chocolate in chocolate these days to bother about
     
  14. Horse and Hound

    Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    Messages:
    4,985
    Likes Received:
    87
    Chocolate will only cause issues if given too much.

    Roo ate a full kitkat the other week, greedy little get. NO adverse reactins what so ever.

    :rolleyes:
     
  15. GoldenShadow

    GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,496
    Likes Received:
    556
    He's OK but it was that calculator Rona posted which had me worried!

    Re the greediness and worms he was wormed a couple weeks ago. He has been a bit iffy for a few months in that some days he seems OK, but he's a bit quieter than usual. Other days he just literally sleeps all day and is really lack lustre.

    Couple months ago he started to get very greedy and would snatch things if I dropped them but he got out of it, and now he's got really greedy again. Like he gets some kibble before bed and he starts hassling me at 8.30pm for it (when he's had dinner at 6.30pm).

    I'm not not feeding him enough any more and he'd put weight on. I don't think he's poorly trained or being cheeky because if I get in and tell him to leave something when I drop it he usually does but his stomach seems to be ruling his head a bit and he's getting really pestery etc :(
     
  16. Mum2Heidi

    Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    12,836
    Likes Received:
    3,745
    This reminds me of one Christmas years ago when my boys were young.

    My gran used to buy them chocolates for the Christmas tree on the run up to christmas and give them each week. They ended up with more choccies than baubles.

    When we took the tree down one year, all the wrappers of the chocolates at the bottom of the tree were empty. Jen, my collie cross had eaten them all. She had opened them so carefully, you couldnt see they were empty.

    If I knew then what I know now:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::nono::nono:
     
  17. Alaska's always trying to get hold of chocolate. She managed to eat 3 of those chocolate teacake things. She was fine but it still upset me and a trip to the vet.:nono:
     
  18. haeveymolly

    haeveymolly PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    Messages:
    12,690
    Likes Received:
    321
    He will be fine, monty once ate a full box of thortons chocolates:eek: expensive taste he had. He was fine by the way.
     
  19. mollymo

    mollymo Life is Golden

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2009
    Messages:
    3,718
    Likes Received:
    285
    My BIL works and shoots with his springers and they have a mars bar at lunch time to give them a boost of energy :eek: not something I would do myself but he thinks nothing of it :rolleyes:
     
  20. haeveymolly

    haeveymolly PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    Messages:
    12,690
    Likes Received:
    321
    My in-laws had a yorkshire terrier they had no idea choc was harmfull, and he had 2 squares of choc every night of his life, he was 15 when he died.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice