Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

runny kitten poop...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by arnie467, Sep 27, 2013.

1. arnie467

arnie467 PetForums Newbie

Hi.... sorry to put poop in the title but best way to describe it! We have had out rescue kitten 3weeks. He is about 12 weeks old. For a few days before we had him he was having a mix of dry and wet food. Prior to this we think he was just fed cows milk.
    We gave him iams dry food and wet food but poop still runny and we had some pro kolin, thi seemed to work but then still had soft ones
    Then we took to vet who gave more pro kolin and for nearly two weeks now only been on dry food and boiled chicken, he did some firm ones but often followed by runny ones. He has finished the pro kolin and they gave got runnier
    So think the pro kolin was helping but not enough.
    He is fine in himself and so vet wasnt concerned but we are!

Dont want to spend a fortune if we dont need to so some advice please!

Thank u!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Feed him boiled chicken only, plus some of the broth it was cooked in. Nothing else apart from water, certainly no dry food. It may be a food intolerance issue, perhaps triggered by being fed cows milk :( (I really do despair, why would anyone feed a kitten cows milk:confused: Not your fault I know:))

After a few days on boiled chicken diet his stools should firm up. If they don;t it would suggest something else is going on e.g. an infection or a parasite, which would need a stool sample to be tested. I assume he has been wormed?

Once his stools are formed and not too soft, then slowly and gradually introduce a wet food for kittens, e.g. HiLife Kitten, Lilys Kitchen Kitten. Or a really good food such as Kitten Grau (from Zooplus) which my own 4 mth old kittens are thriving on!

I am surprised to hear your vet is not too worried about the situation! I think you are right to be concerned. It is not good for the kitten's health to have chronic loose stools, and kittens with actual diarrhoea can go down hill very rapidly because they get easily dehydrated.

I would see a different vet if I was you, if the problem persists after you have tried the chicken only diet. And hopefully they would agree to get a stool sample tested.

3. arnie467

Yes, he was wormed twice under the vets advice he had huge ones about 4 inches long so we hoped once they were out that would help! He had a few homes before us i think the poor boy was found in a bag at one point.
    Think the vet thought it is bound to take him a while to adjust to new foods, and is very well and putting on weight, but i think it has been long enough now. He drinks lots, which is good.
    I will try chicken only, i have just been giving breast but have heard it is okay to give thighs etc with skin and bone on?
    Have a vets appt next week so good we can try something else first.
    Glad he is happy but cant be nice for him.
    I heard rice can help but not sure?

Thanks ,

#3 arnie467, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I have just been though the same but with a litter of five, all decided to have runny bums :rolleyes: I tried chicken and pro kolin to no avail ... We ended up at the vets yesterday as one was kit was passing blood ... They are on AB and Kaogel ... 24hrs later there is a big improvement. If they is no improvement by Monday get puss checked out at the vets

5. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Chicken thighs are really greasy when boiled so best stick to breast meat ... Never give cooked bones , uncooked fine ...

No rice it will upset tummy even more ... Just plain old boiled chicken

6. arnie467

Ah that is good to know they have been quickly recovering! What are AB an kaogal? Are they things you can only get from the vet?

7. arnie467

I did think it would be a bit rich and fatty but i have read so many things, thats the problem with the internet!

He is currently obsessing over the fish tank....

8. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

AB are antibiotics and Kaogel is a light kolin in liquid form ... I find Kaogel works better than Pro kolin with little ones ... All from the vets ... Not expensive at all ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice