Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Running With Your Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Randomly Set, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

Do any members here go running? If you do, do you take your dog?

How are they? Do you run with them on a lead/flexi or off the lead?

I plan on taking mine once he's fully trained.

Also, what age should they be? We pick him up in 2 weeks. Obviously he won't even be going for walks until had all injections. I don't want to injure him or tire him out to much to the point of exhaustion.

2. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I can't run as I get shin splints but I'd quite like to cycle with my dog once she is a little older, don't want to damage her puppy bones :)

3. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I sometimes run with my dog. I use a harness, expanding line and a walking belt when I run with her. If I'm running somewhere where it's possible to have her off lead I do, but usually I run where there are other people, dogs etc. I think the the walking belt and harness is the best solution since my hands are free. She allowed to pull a bit in the harness, so it's also a bit of a help while running (but on the other hand that makes me run in a higher tempo then I would have otherwise, so perhaps it not only a good thing).

I didn't start running with my dog until she was 2,5 (that's when I started running too; if I had done it before I would of course have taken her with me). But I wouldn't have started until she was about a year old because a dog needs to be fully grown until you do that kind of exercise. I also prefer to have done X-rays on hips and elbows before, because I want to know that they are okay and that exercise wont hurt the dog.

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I don't run but we do Bikejor: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/293315-my-bikejoring-journey.html

However - I wouldn't be running him at all until he is at least a year old and even then not running much. Husky owners don't start running theirs till about 12-16 months and don't start training properly until 18 months +. At the moment with bikejoring, I run mine for 20 minutes, I have a team that has an 19 month old and a 3 year old. However my 19 month old has been out of action twice this year cos she has had her spay and has recently had her leg stitched back together.

Rule of thumb (but not set in stone) 5 minutes of walking (forced) per month of age. So 3 months would be 15 minutes lead walking.

I always have my pups off lead and they can then choose to lay down, slow down, speed up whenever. The exercise is never forced.

5. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

What are these running belts and where do you get them from?

6. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I don't run but I have an electric scooter which I use to run Rossi.

I use a padded hurtta pro harness (Y shape) with the ezydog vario 6 leash. This leash fits over my body to use hands free.

It's very important you teach a strong leave. This is very useful in getting the dog to stay by your side and not dart off to something else or a yummy smell! This should only be a problem at the beginning until he understands and focuses on running.

It's also important you teach 'slow' and 'stop' for roads or passing pedestrians etc. and I taught Rossi an emergency stop for safety.

You must wait until pup is physically mature, so not until about 1 to 2 years old depending on the breed.

You also need to ease him into it to build up his fitness & stamina. I started with 5 min runs. After a week I added one extra minute everyday up to 20 mins.

20 mins for two weeks, 25 mins for two weeks ect up until 30/35 mins.

Keep a very close eye on your dog and learn his signals. If he gets tired out you must stop! Dogs are very determined animals and will push themselves as far as they can. If he does tire, reduce your time and build it up slower.

It's great fun and both you and your dog will really love it :D

7. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

My belt looks like this (only difference is that mine is purple):
    http://www.bjorkis.com/upload/bilder/balten_bilder/dragbalte_rod_big.jpg

I live in Sweden so I don't know where to get one in the UK, but I'm sure that someone else can give you an answer. I know that they use them for cani cross and bike joring, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

8. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

I run with mine- he's approx. 3.

I just run him on his flat collar with normal lead and I waited until he knew and understood not to pull on a lead etc.

He gets things pretty quick and knows to keep pace, I do stop occasionally and let him pee

9. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I don`t but my Husband does run with one of ours. At the moment my husband hold the lead (the dog wears a harness) but think he is going to be getting a belt so his hands are free. The warm up and warm down walk, dog is free to sniff and pee but while running he does not. Dog loves it, really got the hang of the routine very quickly.

10. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I do sometimes run with mine and always have them on a lead when I do. For my pointer I use a belt and bungee line with an x back harness as he's a strong puller but with my collie bitch I just use a normal lead and collar/harness as she doesnt pull but runs alongside me.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I run with mine. In a harness always, just onlead if it's by the road, on a cani-x belt and line through forests etc where they still can't be offlead (one is a deer sanctuary :eek:) or just offlead where safe to do so.

I start mine at 12 months of age and on grass / forest track type surfaces to begin with. They both love it - although I can no longer run with the eldest due to an attack, and he gets so excited when I take the youngest that I feel mean leaving him at home :(.

12. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

I did run with my two GSDs until my ankle couldn't take it any more :mad: (I fractured it a few years ago and it has been weak ever since).

I live on a private country estate and so could always have the dogs off lead and we just ran on hill tracks.

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'm not jealous. Nope. Not at all. :skep:.

14. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

I use to run with Mylo after work at night when we lived at the old house, I ran around the park which had street lighting all the way around so I would let him off once we got to the park.

I use to put him in his Julius K9 harness and use his double ended lead and attach the other end to my waist.

Sadly since moving I can no longer go running with him, busy road at the end of drive and country lanes so nowhere safe to run. I may start going down the canal with both dogs once Zab is old enough, they can both go offlead there.

15. Huskybob

Huskybob PetForums Member

Like all have said, wait until older and best is to use a harness and line with a shock absorber.

Hooner

SASS

These are good places to get a walking belt from and lines.

I'm not sure on the breed you are getting but if they are a medium/large breed then a belt is good also as they can pull you along and that tires them out a little more and you get to go a little faster and further.

16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I run with mine. They are awesome running buddies! Especially on those mornings I just want to sit on the sofa with my coffee... Nothing like a giant, expectant and eager great dane face staring at you to get you motivated :D

If you're doing leashed jogging, just remember that is repetitive movement and the dog has to be build up to it just as you would. Watch your dog, know your dog. Some are babies and will be sure to let you know the instant something is bothering them, others, like my muttdog, will run through injuries if you let them. Know your dog's pace and stride, and pay attention whenever it's off.

I don't bother with a belt, a plain leather leash is just easier for me personally. My leashes have a loop handle and I just dangle it on my wrist and use my arms as I normally would. The dogs are next to me and the leashes are long enough to not catch as my arms pump back and forth. For us that's a 6 foot leash, but I'm pretty tall, shorter or longer might work depending on your size and the dog's.

Definitely body harnesses here. I'm a klutz and if I'm not accidentally dropping a leash and tripping over it and jerking the attached dog, I'm falling and flailing, and also jerking the attached dog. I should not be allowed a leash, really, but since I am, I prefer to attach it to the dog's body where I'm far less likely to cause damage.

Oh, one last thing, if you're going to run with your dog, again, the repetitive movement thing, I REALLY suggest you keep nails shorter than you think they should be. A lot of people think that if the dog is running on a hard surface that's enough to keep the nails down, but if the dog's nails are long enough to make contact with the surface they're too long. You can really prevent a lot of injuries by just having the nails short enough that you don't hear them at all when the dog is moving on a hard surface. If they click, time to trim.

17. loukodi

loukodi PetForums Senior

I cant really help about a harness.

Kodi just has a normal collar and training lead (that I have round my waist).
    He's so good, he runs and watches me the entire time so the lead is constantly slack.
    I have to have him on lead incase there is a loud noise (gunshot etc), hes very nervous and would be off back to the car like a rocket.

He now 2 1/2 years old. We started when he was around 6months but this was just round the garden and fields so he was offlead and we took many breaks and play time stops.

18. ouesi

ouesi Guest

This is us taking up the whole road LOL. But the dog do have a "car" cue which means get off the road basically.

[​IMG]

And the dane being a dork as usual...

[​IMG]

19. Tacey

Tacey PetForums Senior

I go running with April normally a few mornings a week, although I haven't in a few weeks because I hurt my foot :eek: We normally run about 5 miles and I have her on a harness, stretchy lead and walking belt thing (though not a very good one). We generally go running through these long tunnels near where I live, or if I have more time we run along the canal and she can be off lead there. It's fun! April is two years old and we started about 5 months ago, I'd never been running before so we built up the distance together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice