Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Running with my dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by reuben1804, Aug 18, 2009.

1. reuben1804

reuben1804 PetForums Newbie

I have a fit and healthy 2yr old black labrador in good shape. There is no history of joint problems or other health issues in his breeding.

I have recently started cycling to work and back every day, about 6 miles in total. About 3 miles of that is on tarmac or hard surface.

My dog runs alongside me, he is not on a lead so not forced to run at uncomfortable speeds and can stop if he needs to.

I would like to check that running 6 miles a day, 3 miles on hard surface, will not be doing any harm to his joints, paws, heart etc

Thanks,
    Dan

2. rona

rona Guest

Hi and welcome.
    There is obviously going to be more pressure on the joints from running on hard surfaces, paws are easy for you to check and if you are worried at all about the heart, get it checked by a vet.
    Having said that, 6 miles doesn't seem excessive to run your dog daily and he is fully mature.
    If I was you I would just go a little slower on the hard surface part of the trip :)

3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

My son has a 5 year old lab with which he power walks 7 miles with most days this is on hard ground the dog loves it.

4. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I've been cycling to work with my dog about that same distance, but on hard surface most of the time. My dog seems to be fine and is now in better shape than ever :) So I think it's okay for your dog as well, since he doesn't have any health problems.

However, it's important to regularly check the dog's paws so that he's not injured.The extra exercise this summer made my dog very thin, so I had to feed him a little bit more. I might be wise to check so that your dog doesn't get too thin. I also always bring water so I can make a short stop and let my dog drink, especially if it's hot.

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Bet you don't have to clip his claw's:)

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Sounds like he enjoys it, and as long as he has plenty of water he will be fine. :)

I want to try biking with mine and have been thinking about one of the bike attachments because I know they would try and go under my wheels :rolleyes: :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice