Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Running with my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eejay, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

I’d like to go running with my Labrador- well, not really running, more a slow jog- I’m certainly not up to Canicross!
    As Christmas is coming, I thought a lead etc might be a good idea. Can anyone recommend good running kit for the dog (if you see what I mean!) What will I need? Thanks

MissKittyKat and Teddy-dog like this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

MissKittyKat and Teddy-dog like this.
  3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Sorry I’ve only just seen this!

Check out https://www.k9trailtime.com/ lots of information and equipment on there and the person who runs it is really helpful. If you have questions you can just email!

if you want to run with them I’d suggest one of the most important things is a decent harness for your dog. Even if you’re not thinking canicross now (no reason why you can’t! I’ve seen all sorts of runners canicrossing!), you still need a harness that is comfortable for the dog, doesn’t restrict their airways by putting pressure on their throat, and doesn’t restrict shoulder movement. We use a Zero DC short with Teddy which is great but there are lots of different options available.

For a lead you want a proper running belt and bungy lead.
    You need one that sits on your hips not one that just goes round your waist (the waist ones are usually sold in pet shops as ‘running leads’ and are basically just a normal lead and if the dog pulls at all it’ll be horrible for you back!). OH has a Neewa running belt that came with the bungy line to attach to the dog. It has leg straps too so can’t ride up and if your dog is pulling it puts pressure in the right places.

That’s what I’d start with anyway. You don’t need anything fancy really but the right equipment is important to make it comfortable for you and your dog. Teddy absolutely loves running with OH so it’s worth it.

@Torin. might have extra advice too!

MissKittyKat likes this.
  4. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

Evening.

Not much to add that @Teddy-dog hasn't mentioned other than the running harness for you dog also needs to allow full shoulder movement.

Other shops to consider are cani-fit, sportypaws and k9sport. All are great and will offer advice.

If you can get to a canicross group, give it a go as most offer beginners groups. I am in no way a runner, but canicross and have taken part in races too. The group of people I've met through the sport are second to none.

My Lab and I will have been running for 2 years in Jan. Woody loves it, I'm still learning to love it :)

Woody runs in a zero DC long and Neewa adjustable racing harness. I also have a a howling dog Alaska which is a short harness but only use for hiking as Woody rasps in this as it doesn't sit right when he's pulling. Another reason to get a running harness is so your dog knows what job they are doing when they are wearing it. Woody knows which harness means pull and which one means walk!

For me, I've tried 3 different running belts, the zero DC was my first but it rose up (I have a large butt!), The rock empire was much better but I've just invested in the idog belt and it's amazing. Both these fit much better and sit across the hips where they should be. Leg straps are a must.

Then there is the bungee line, I use a standard 1.9m one.

A lot of people use non stop equipment too.

If you plan on trail running and running actually, get the best trainers you can afford.

FB_IMG_1605373191718.jpg FB_IMG_1605373208758.jpg

5. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Great advice @MissKittyKat ! Teddy knows the difference between his canicross harness and normal one too.

Here’s their gear in action:
    6F45A62B-5AF8-4B0C-9239-AC86827DBC2D.jpeg 1BE0398D-DED5-4DBE-A1FC-7BBEFB0410DD.jpeg

Kaily, O2.0, LittleMow and 1 other person like this.
  6. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

Thank you all so much for the advice and the encouraging photos! I did a bit of a Google search and have ended up ordering a starter kit (belt, harness, lead) from dogfit who were very helpful- just hope it fits when it arrives!
    Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a Canicross group near me (I live in West Cornwall) but I’m quite self conscious so probably best if I start off quietly by myself anyway!

Thank you for the advice about the trail shoes- my current running shoes are a bit rubbish so I think I’ll ask for new ones as a Christmas present! I’m slightly nervous but also quite excited about the whole idea!

Just one (silly?) question- what do you do if your dog runs faster than you do? Does the dog end up pulling you over or does it slow to adjust to your pace? My dog is definitely fitter than I am!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  7. MissKittyKat

I think canicross UK are based in Cornwall. If you are on Facebook have a look at the canicross trailrunners page as there is loads of advice and a page listing all the group's across the country.

You will learn to work as a team but teaching commands particularly steady will help.

Ive fallen over a few times but Woody does realise and stop. I've usually fallen as I start to get tired but doesn't happen now my fitness has improved (touch wood) x

8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Agree that you will learn to work as a team and teaching commands is good to do! Teddy sort of knows steady. The way the running belts sit mean you can kind of lean back into them if needed.
    OH runs MUCH faster than me and does almost all of the canicrossing with Ted. But I have attempted a bit (I’m not really a runner) and Ted has pulled me and we’ve been flying along but he does steady himself for me as he goes so much faster with OH and has to adjust.

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

OH has only been pulled over once so far - and that was going down a steep hill.

As teddy dog says, teaching commands for direction and pace change does help with this!

Not that i know much about it - canni cross is very much OH's thing that he does with tilly. I do know all her gear is non stop brand though.

10. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I run with my terrier and have done a few competitive and fun runs with a canicross section. I am by no means a proper runner or super fit and I don't run with a typical canicross dog, she's a 10kg terrier but I've always found people at these runs to be very friendly and accommodating. She has a Neewa harness which I bought 3 years ago from K9 trail time and is still as good as new. I use a running belt and bungee from amazon but as she's only small I don't need to worry too much about the weight pulling me.

11. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

Thank you for all the encouragement and info, and also for the tip about Canicross UK, @MissKittyKat . I looked on their website and have found a trainer about half an hour from me, who also runs groups. So we shall see how it goes! The kit arrived today- I think my first challenge is going to be working out how to put the hip belt on!

12. MissKittyKat

Ha, yes the hip belts are an art. I quite often get the waist bit all tangles up through my leg straps, especially when doing a dark night run!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice