Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Running with dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Zoojie, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Zoojie

Zoojie PetForums Member

Heyhey,

I need to start exercising again, and as it's slowly getting lighter in the mornings it's going to be easier. I usually run about 3-6 miles depending on the day! Haven't been since got the dog, it's been regular shorter walks.

I'm not going to make Loki run with me on lead, but would running with him offlead be ok? I'll go for shorter distances to begin with either way as I've got out of the habit!

He's one, which is why I'm thinking now is probably ok to start running, especially if he's not restricted to my speed.

Any thoughts/words of wisdom? :) a little bit of motivation would be nice too, especially in the cold :p

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I started running with Kilo when he turned one; we run with him attached to a waist belt, but don't see why offlead for you would be an issue at all. No better motivation for getting out there than seeing your dog loving it :D.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I certainly wouldn't be running with a one year old GSD. A run around on his own or playing with a ball for a short while would probably be ok, but a forced run like that (which it would be if he is trying to keep up) is going to harm his joints. Wait until he is full grown. I don't know what age that is with this breed, but he is a big dog so could be up to two years old.

Just to rephrase my first sentence - I wouldn't be running at all, but then I don't believe in exercise:D

4. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I have just started running with Sandy and she loves it. Off lead she is really good, build your dog up slowly and you should be fine!

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo is big and I was told it was fine to run with him, building up gradually, from one year old. May be different for GSDs perhaps? I know that it isn't Kilo trying to keep up with me either - I run, he trots along with no effort at all just looking at me in despair that I don't go faster!!

6. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I think this might depend on the surface too? Roads would be very different to cross country...
    Naomi x

7. Catz1

Catz1 PetForums VIP

I'm no expert on GSD's but I started running with Rio at about 1 year. Gradually building the distance and speed of course. I don't think off lead running will be much of a problem but let them choose how far you go and try stick to grassy areas. Rio could walk for hours at a year so a gentle run really took the edge off. Remember to bring water even though its still chilly out :)

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Very true; I have avoided roads so far, for joints and just to get out somewhere nice.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I was thinking of those long back legs and the high risk of hip displasia in a GSD to be honest. I can't pretend to know much about the breed, but I would have thought those legs were a bit delicate.

A ridgeback is a different build. Not arguing, just being on the safe side. I am a bit paranoid about too much exercise in a growing large breed!

10. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

Me and toodles went a run together for first time yesterday and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, my only worry was I wouldn't be enough exercise as was only 25 mins and usually when I do the walk it's for the full hour with him running full pelt around. So I take him on few walks as well.

Don't know how it is with bigger breeds toodles is working cocker.

Good luck though and I'm sure you will enjoy

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Absolutely - certainly wasn't arguing; more interested and did think that was probably the reasoning once I'd had a think, can't say Kilo is delicate (well, physically anyway)! Definitely agree with playing it safe when there are any doubts.

12. Zoojie

Zoojie PetForums Member

Yeah, I do worry about his hips. OH thinks I'm mad, but I don't want to be running without Loki - It doesn't take much extra effort to go somewhere I can take the dog and still get my own exercise! What's the point of leaving him behind!? (talking generally, I wouldn't take him if it would hurt him. But it's also harder to get myself out then!)

Would one attempt hurt him? I can then see how much he's bothered by me running while he's offlead, and if he runs faster/further than normal, then I can make a judgement call from there to save his health in the long run.

Does that sound reasonable?

13. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I run with both my dogs a couple of times a week. It is in addition to their normal excercise and is on the pavement for the majority of the time and they thoroughly enjoy it. I hold their leads and they run level with me and get into a great rythmn. Just got a watch out for a sudden wee that stops us dead:D. or a very intersting peemail to sniff:D But worse is a poo that I have to pick up and run with.....very awkward:rolleyes5:

When I run through an area where I can let them off the lead, I maintain the steady pace, whereas they tend to gallop around all over the place sniffing. It sort've gees them up somehow.

I think running adds a different dimension to their excercise and they love it:)

14. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

I run with him, but only on leash because I want him to be safe. I use to run with him 3-4 times/week because more it could be over-training.

I suggest you give him something for the joints (if you want natural supplements: bee pollen, salmon oil) and check his paws if you run him on the street.

15. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't run a large dog whatever the breed until at least 18 months old, the pressure on the hips it's just not worth it.

16. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I checked before running with Kilo with his vet, breeder, a canine physio and hydrotherapist as I was concerned about hips and they all said that 12 months was fine. I must add that we are building up very gradually and I do run on mainly soft surfaces, plus keeping the distance short until after 18 months of age. I also make an effort to keep Kilo lean and would never run if he decided he wasn't going to. I thought long and hard and realised that he was running shorter distances and far more slowly than if he was on an offlead walk - albeit at a forced pace.

There does seem to be a school of thought which does make sense that the more developed the musculature, the more support the hip joints are given. Not saying we should just go out and walk for hours from day one (I followed the '5 minute rule' for onlead walks) but I do think that a large heavy dog with insufficient muscular development must be at risk too.

Not arguing Happy Paws; just trying to explain why I decided to start when I did and that I did put a lot of thought behind it!

17. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Fair enough, If your breeder and vet says it OK then it must be OK with your breed, it's just I wouldn't with a Briard. :)

18. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

Dogless, I agree with you. I talked with my breeder (and other rott breeders) and he said 12 months is ok and the vet was the one that suggested it :)

Another rottweiler owner told me his vet suggested to run or bike with his dogs because other activities, like fetch, puts more pressure on the bones and muscles than a constant activity.

19. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I understand completely and respect your reasoning; just that you did say any large breed initially and I didn't want everyone who reads this to just assume that I was prepared to start running without any thought process behind it! Maybe part of it is the build of the dog as in the point newfiesmum made and what they were originally bred for.

20. Staffx

Staffx PetForums Senior

I have recently started to run with my dog and can only recommend it (have no idea about large dogs etc but just in general). Major seems to enjoy it far more and instead of walking for an hour and a half I can go for a 45min run and he is just as happy.

I tend to run him onlead more for a few reasons:
    - it keeps me motivated as I don't won't to stop when he is happy trotting along
    - I personally don't want to be stopping picking up poos
    - he lags behind sniffing when off lead which can lead to me thinking , 'oh, I'll just stop and wait for him'

However he does get a little bit off lead somewhere, when we enter a field for example and poo picking up isn't paramount.

We got a Trixie hands free harness for christmas and I would highly recommend it for the price, stretchy lead, place for water/treats and phone/keys.

To reiterate what dogless said when we're running Major is only ever in a trot, he never breaks to a run and takes it all in his stride as I'm puffing and panting. I have friends who run with there GSD but couldn't say at what age they started.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice