UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my daschund is now coming up to 7 months we still put him in his cage when we go out. Just wanted some advice on up to what age can i keep him in there when we go out? he is pretty happy in there and has settled tons since we first got him, (he cried for hours when left in cage when we first got him). Should i give him run of the house (well downstairs) or keep on putting him in the cage, i currently am not working so here most of the time the longest we leave him usually is 3 hours max (come home and check on him if we are any longer). Any tips would be great :) x

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I crated Kilo when we went out until he started looking like he needed a little more space (at about 8 or 9 months old). I just left the crate door open and did a few short trips out and all was fine so carried on just leaving him with access to the house. When we moved I didn't put the crate up and he has been good as gold (touch wood) with free run of downstairs (not allowed upstairs!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant thank you i shall start doing that in a month or so i think! his crate is pretty big considering his a small dog lol. just feel bad putting him in there when i go out always eager to get home! x

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have never crated my dog when I go out, but I have confined her to the hallway, which in my flat is easy to close off with a gate and closed doors. When she was a puppy I confined her in the hallway when I was home and wanted to take a bath, for example. Then one time when she seemed calm and sleepy I left the gate to the living room open when I took a bath (of course I removed everything that she was likely eat or destroy). When I knew for sure that I could trust her with the hallway and living room I also gave her access to the kitchen when I took a bath. I also left her for short periods of time, for example to take out the rubbish, go to the laundry room and go shopping for food (at first only if I knew I wouldn't be gone for long).

I can't say a specific age when I started to give her more space. I've just taken chances and sometimes she's been ready, sometimes not. If not, I just confined her next time and after a while tried again.

But I still confine her in the hallway when I work and she's probably never going to get the run of the flat. She's only sleeping while I'm gone so she doesn't need more space (most dogs feel safer and more calm in a smaller area).

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Kes is now just over 9 months old and for the past month-1.5 months we've left her out when we leave. If she didn't have such a good chewing habit I wouldn't trust her, she's never really eaten/chewed anything inappropriate in the house and so far she's 100% at being left and not causing trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.