Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Run little husky!

Discussion in 'Working & Sports Dogs' started by ellenlouisepascoe, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Morning everyone!

Just a quick question, as it's the first time I've owned a husky, I want to get him into bikejoring. At the moment I was thinking about just having him trot beside a bike as he's too young to pull.

Is it ok to do this at 4 months old or should I be waiting till he's a year like the pulling?

2. StormyKnight

StormyKnight PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I'm no expert in Huskys, I have golden retrievers myself, but because huskies are also classed as large dogs, I personally would be very careful with his exercise, and keep it limited while his bones and joints are still growing!
    Large breed dogs aren't usually fully grown til around 12-18 months!
    Over exercising a large breed puppy can cause elbow and hip dysplasia.

I'm sure other people will give their thoughts on this! The above is just what I would personally do if it was my dog. :)

take care, Marion

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't run him even beside a bike at 4 months old. It would be forced exercise and speed and likely on hard surfaces, his still in the rapid growth phase and the growth plates which are at the end of the long bones are soft and easily damaged, so are growing and forming joints. Knowing Husky pups too most don't know when to quit and he would likely carry on.

Even if he was older, it wouldnt be a good time at the moment with heat and humidity especially, with a thick coat and the only way to cool down is panting humidity especially causes problems with the natural evaporation process so makes it harder still for them to reduce their core temperature.

The last of the growth plates in the average dog don't close until about 12 months, sometimes longer still.

4. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advise everyone :) It was just a thought as I don't seem to be walking quick enough for him, I'm a larger lady and my pace seems to be slower lol.

Have to get fit quicker! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice