Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

run help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by gem88, Oct 23, 2012.

1. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

just wondered if theres anything i can put on the bottom of the run. reason i ask is the run and hutch are on the patio. its been damp recently coz of the weather and i dont want them getting sore hocks. obviously its got to be easy clean as tilly isnt as tidy in where she poops as pepper is :lol: (she is getting better though to be fair :D )

2. shelly989

shelly989 PetForums Newbie

Perhaps you could try those training puppy pad things - I assume they would be very absorbent - probably quite expensive though. How about newspaper with an old sheet over the top?

3. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

You could proberly put some astroturf down on top of the slabs :)

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Get some clear tarp and cover the top and 3 sides, that way the slabs will stay mostly dry :D

5. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Astro turf was on offer at my local b&q, so might be a national thing if your in the UK

#5 seanmac, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  6. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Thanks hazy and seanmac - astroturf is an interesting idea.

One of our set ups is on the paio. We do what Bernie says - tarps on top and around 3 sides/ doesn't get wet, unless there is mega rain or snow. We use silver backed beach mats too. Keeps cold out, warmth in

7. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

issue with astro turf would it be safe for the rabbit to eat?

8. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Not sure what its actually made of. Some buns will eat anything and everything. Others don't. But I do know some people do use it.

We just use tarpaulins over top and sides, big underbed storage boxes for litter trays in the runs/enclosures, and piles of straw in winter for extra warmth.

We also went to carpetwright and got a pile of large carpet squares - £1 each. Great for in our outdoor encloures and indoors, and cheap to replace.

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I wouldnt use too much clear tarp/plastic as it'll act like a green house even with 1 end open.

Some rabbits are fine on paving all year round and others will get sore hocks, its worth checking them at least weekly.

A good thick layer of hay is the best thing to stop sore hocks if they do look sore.

I cover half the run with normal coloured tarp and if its going to rain very heavily. I put a clear acrylic panel on top of the rest of the run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice