Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ruffwear flat out lead opinions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Fouskas93, May 26, 2021.

1. Fouskas93

Fouskas93 PetForums Newbie

Hey,

Was just looking at some opinions on the ruffwear flat out lead. I have a bedlington whippet that loves to really pull on the lead, and I've been looking at these leads. The one thing that puts me off is the "talon" clip they use, I'm worried that it will come off his collar ring and he will be able to run off. Has any one had any experience with these leads and could let me know what it's like?

Thanks!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

If he likes to pull and you're OK with that, he'd be much better on a harness than a collar. A lot more comfortable and safer too; look into canicross harnesses like Zero DC shorts and Nonstop Freemotions. Most well fitted, Y shaped harness should be fine really.

A nice padded belt would likely be much more comfortable for you, spreading pressure of any jolts and constant pulling to reduce the stress to your body. Its why seatbelts in cars are wide and flat rather than cheese wire thin.
    Belts that are wider and sit around your hips rather than your soft belly meats are typically safer too :)

Also, if you're happy and wanting to encourage pulling (or at least make pulling easier on both of you!), a bungee line is going to be better than a standard flat lead. It's going to absorb any jolts and shocks from sudden movements, reducing the strain on both of you.

In conclusion, probably don't bother, there's much better pulling gear out there :D

3. Fouskas93

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did look at some bungee leads from them also, but they too had that talon clip on, which I don't understand how it doesn't just open when they pull.

He's walked on a harness for long walks but if its just a quick one before work or in the evening he just has his collar on.

4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Never had a problem with ruffwear leads, although mine are the carabiner ones, but they are personal preference

5. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

If you're allowing pulling, a harness is going to be safer all round, no matter the length of the walk :)

Is it specifically ruffwear gear you're looking at?
    I've had my walking belt from here for years now and it's still going strong, I love it. Bungees are built in to the belt so use with a standard lead works too. Might be worth a look?
    Really long stupid ebay link!
    You can get them with removable leg straps to keep the belt from riding up if that's an issue :)
    Another stupidly long link

The clasps on the Ruffwear lead sort of cross over one another when closed, so there's not typically a weak point or gap for the collar ring to slip through (if that makes sense!)

[​IMG]

6. Fouskas93

It's not specifically ruffwear, and I don't really want to allow too much pulling as I have a bit of a bad back. I'll definitely take a look at the walking belt as it might suit me much better than getting dragged along by one arm, he's only 11kg but jesus can he pull (especially when he sees another dog).

Thanks for the photos, they look like a good clasp to be honest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice