Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ruffwear 2017 quality?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kare, Aug 5, 2017.

1. kare

kare PetForums VIP

Has anyone else had a 2017 harness from Ruffwear and finding it less than they expected and/or experienced from previous Ruffwear harnesses?

I have been a big advocate of the Ruffwear Front Range on here for a few years now, I think I got the first one for my older dog (Edenn now 9) about 3 years back, approx a year later I got one for my youngest (River when she was fully grown) then a year later got new colour for Edenn (so first one lasted 2 years?!) and then this February got a 2017 one for River (again so the first one lasted 2 years)

The first ever one (black) was 2 and a half years old and sold on ebay 6 months ago. The buyer was happy with its quality. It was roughed up on the reflective strips but otherwise in a good state.
    The second one (also black) was given to my Father for his Staff after being used by for a Foster dog for a few months also. Again good usable harness to this day.
    The third one (Turquoise) is still in good state, but did need a few stitches recently on a worn seam

The 2017 one (purple) is rough, ripped to the point of weak point on the shoulder and generally a mess within 5 and a half months (first worn her birthday Feb 15th)
    Worn on the same dog, doing the same things (or if anything perhaps less rough things than she did aged 1 or 2 years than now aged 3)
    I can't even say 5 and a half months as I loved the colour so much I spent the first weeks/month being a little precious about it and popping on the black one when there was likely a messy walk incoming.

2. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a grey front range for Thai. Not sure how long we have had it but it's still as good as new and it's had heavy use.
    I would email them to let them know, they may replace it.

kare likes this.
  3. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Yes.

Murphy has 4. 3 of the old style bought 2016/late 2015. Grey, blue and orange! And the green from this year. The grey and blue have both come away at the seams and really freyed. They havn't had over use with him having so many. I did e-mail them and got the green as a replacement. Fab customer service rubbish quality!

The sunshower rain jacket also became unwaterproof after a handful of times so we wont be buying Ruffwear again.

Am now a fan of 'true love' from amazon. Has the front and back ring like the front range plus added bonus of a handle. Much better quality, washes well too and far cheaper!

4. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I bought Phoebes around January last year and it started fraying and falling apart after a month. I've never understood the hype about them as the quality of hers was dreadful. Especially for the price!

icklemunch likes this.
  5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe I've been lucky then lol

6. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Not impressed with ours, especially for the price!

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Nooka's old pink Ruffwear front range (it's nearly 3 years old) is still going strong. Quite frayed and looks well used (it is!) but still holding up very well. I bought a new perfect fit harness purely as the ruffwear was looking scruffy, and this is used for most walks now. The ruffwear is still used at the beach or if she might go for a swim as it dries quickly. I still happily use it as my secondary harness. Glad I didn't go for one of the new colours of ruffwear instead of the perfect fit now.

8. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Thanks for that, we wanted a one with a handle so ordered this and very pleased with it. We also have 2 ruffwear ones and i must admit they do seem better quality but at twice the price they should, i think ours will be 2016 ones though we bought hem early this year, Steve

icklemunch likes this.
  9. trio25

trio25 PetForums Member

I have had three of the older front range harnesses replaced due to the metal ring wearing, the replacements are going the same way. My dogs now have hurtta harnsesses which seem to be wearing better.

icklemunch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice