Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rues still not heavy enough for neutering....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Chaddycat, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Senior

he had his second lot of jabs today. I was hoping he would be 2kg so he could have his little lady testiclay off :) But still only 1.75kg x

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't wait if it were me.
    I'd call around to other vets in your area. Around here 1kg/2pounds is plenty big enough to neuter. And as a boy, you don't want him to start spraying. The sooner, the better.

3. Chaddycat

We have 3 vets where I live. One I will not go to and the other has the same policy. 2kg minimum weight. Ill just have to stick lard in his food to fatten him up :)

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Try widening your area for this one thing

5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Chaddycat
    How old is Rue? I think if you get him done by five months it should be fine. My kitten was under five months about 4.5 estimated.

Calvine likes this.
  6. Chaddycat

There is plenty of time
    Hes only 3 months so I'm happy to wait till he gets up to 2 kg. Hes not far off so it won't be long x

7. Chaddycat

Thats what I thought. Am I right in thinking the spraying doesn't begin till about month 5? He's only 3 months and I'm sure he'll be 2kg in 2 or 3 weeks x

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Not sure why the vet didn't go ahead and book him for 2 or 3 weeks out. As busy as most vets are, might be a good idea to schedule it now in case you have to wait a while.
    Sorry if I've got you confused with another poster, but weren't you letting him out too? If so, he really does need to be done ASAP.

9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

That's plenty heavy enough. 1kg is the minimum for the majority of vets. If yours won't look elsewhere.

Try putting your post code into this database to find vets local to you who will neuter Rue now.
    http://www.kind.cats.org.uk/

spotty cats likes this.
  10. Chaddycat

I will be but not for a few months yet x

11. Chaddycat

Its OK I'm happy to wait until hes 2kg. He eats like a pig so it won't be to long to wait.

12. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

My vets also have a 2kg rule, Andre was neutered at about 4 months. (They come up on the search on kind.cats website, as neutering at 4 months...).

Personally I would prefer to wait a couple of weeks to use a vet that you know and trust and fairly local just in case there are any post ops problems (that said I’m sure it will go smoothly).

Hannah

gskinner123 likes this.
  13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Chaddycat
    When my sister had the kitten she adopted about three years ago in the US sterilized, we were told at four months is typical and he was done then.
    Where I am in Eastern Europe, they tend to do it a bit later 6-9 months but Jack was already trying to get out the door, so I asked our vet if she would sterilize him at what we thought was five months. But on the day of the procedure, she saw his adult teeth had not yet begun to come in, so put him at less than five months.
    I think four months is fine and he should be the required weight then.

14. Chaddycat

Definitely. Before having cats I've have had rabbits for several years. I tried all the vets over the years. The vet i use now is amazing. X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice