Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rudeness from breeders?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ren, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure. I just wanted to vent on something.

So I am currently puppy searching. I know what I am after, I am looking for either a pedigree German Spitz Klein or a Pomeranian, the problem is, that I have no idea what the puppies actually cost from a proper breeder because breeders don't put their prices on the websites, now I understand the reason for this, but when I then email them politely asking how much their puppies generally sell for I do not expect downright rudeness. Two of the three replies I have had back so far have been rude, as in 'how dare you ask me how much my puppies cost' which is bizarre. I know it's not all about the price but I need to know a general figure so I know what to aim for?? At the minute I am thinking no wonder people end up going to 'Back Yard Breeders' if all potential dog owners experience this after a polite enquiry. :mad:

I apologise to all the polite dog breeders out there. I know you must get enquiries from chancers that say 'Your dogs are too expensive blah blah blah' but that's not what I was saying, I was just asking nicely... *sigh*. :glare:

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Maybe talk to Eroswolf: she has a Pom and might know. Have you contacted the breed clubs?

1 person likes this.
  3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

pm me with who you have tried for Kleins ;)

4. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Thanks, I've been on champdogs and emailed most of the breeders within a reachable distance to me. One of the breeders was really nice (A Spitz Klein breeder) and so far her dogs are winning but the Pom breeders have been just... Grrr! Maybe the nice ones just haven't checked their emails yet :p

#4 Ren, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Perhaps you are wording your email a little too direct? Have you tried saying something like: I need to know how much I have to budget for, with bedding and toys and food and stuff, so it would be helpful to have an idea of the cost.

You may already have done that, it is just a suggestion, but I would imagine some breeders get a lot of people trying to barter, so that may be where it comes from.

Have you looked on champdogs.co.uk? A lot of breeders on there, and they are good breeders, will name the price so you don't need to ask.

Or email the breed club; they should be able to give you an idea.

6. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

I thought it might be that, maybe they are just reading it wrongly. I guess that's the thing with reading an email you can infer whatever tone you like. I have calmed down a bit now. It's just disheartening when you're first starting out and you get knockbacks straight away.

7. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I would save around £1000 just for the pup, I would first meet a breeder before asking how much they charge. Mainly because I don't know how to broach the subject. I do know what you mean, but I would perhaps have a look on epupz just to get an idea of how much for your breed.

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I fear being rude when asking that.

When I was wanting to get a GSD puppy, I had a look to see what the general idea of prices were on preloved, epups etc etc

I then emailed a few breeders and said I was looking for a pup in a year or so's time, gave info on myself, family and lifestyle (who worked, who was home etc) how much dog and breed specific experience I had etc.

I think it was about the 4th email I sent one breeder, where I actually said I felt a bit rude asking, but how much did she let her puppies go for, just so I knew how much to put by and then would know how much I had to spend spoiling said puppy. I didn't ask the price until AFTER she said she would put me on the list.... as if price was an afterthought. I already guessed I would have to pay between 500 and 800.

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I emailed a lot of labrador breeders asking vague prices and a fair few didn't even respond. I worded it in a manner which was the most polite i could find. Just keep trying I guess, I don't know about vague prices to advise :(

10. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Thanks, the problem with meeting first is that I live in Scotland and don't drive so getting there is a bit of a problem if it's miles. I have had a look at various 'for sale' sites and there is such a wide range of prices there that I was just like :blink:. It's early days yet so I shall just have to save and see what happens.

11. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Thanks guys, I know it is a touchy subject in the first place but I don't want to go through all the selling myself aspect and then find out that it's out of my price range. I know money is not the most important thing but when you are a student like me it's still pretty important. :lol:

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I tend to say at the end of the email

I hate to ask but how much do you normally ask for a puppy so if we went forward to your waiting list after meeting I would be budgeting for?"

You have to know obviously how much but its the way of asking :)

13. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

If you find the right breeder most of them want you to visit. Then they keep in contact with you until your pup is born and then you usually go to meet pups around 4-6 weeks depending on breeder. You would be able to visit and they like you to visit as much as you can to bond with your pup. Then around 8 weeks you'd get your pup. At least thats most breeders I've read about.

14. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

I know, I have bought cats from breeders before... I have a lot of factors to think about and one of them is distance which is why I've only contacted breeders in Scotland or in the North of England. I still probably wouldn't visit before I knew a price though, but everyone's different! :eek:

15. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I would send a few emails for them to get to know you first then mention the price. I didn't ask the price of Blu until he was born and even then I hated asking.

16. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

why dont they put prices? I dont get that?

To me if I get a enquiry and the first thing is 'hi how much are your kittens' (even though it states it clearly in the advert?) I do email back my standard email, I never hear back once the price is mentioned or people say I can only afford XX, to which I send a standard reply about our breeding etc.

Most people I find who are really interested who Im happy to email back send me a nice email about themselves and their family and why they want a kitten and that breed, no mention of price. (but I wouldnt mind if they did as they have gone to the trouble of writing me a nice email!)

I email back, they email back and tend to ask the price 2/3 emails in, by that time I already know that they are interested in a kitten and dont raelly care what the price is as they are happy with me and I with them.

so after all that! What Im saying it copy & paste a email just a bit about yourself why you like the dog what your looking for, it really creates a different impression :)

I do get some weird emails though, had one the other day it just said 'send me pictures of the parents' :eek: :confused: no name nothing I was like 'EH?!' Odd thing was all the parents and family tree were on my website! :blink:

#16 Taylorbaby, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  17. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:eek: *goes all daft and coy :lol:* Thanks hen :D

Have pm'd Ren back

Hope I'm swaying her to the bark....sorry DARK side yet :lol:

Em
    xx

18. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Hi i would be inclined to just open the lines of communication first and then ask about in a later email. I always put the price of mine upfront so they all new from the start but I know some that are very touchy about being asked for some reason:rolleyes:

19. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

That's what I thought! Why act like you're not trying to sell puppies?

Our breeder was reputable, KC, etc, but she managed to be nice and no-nonsense!

20. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Best way forward is to ring one of the the Breed Club reps and explain that you are looking to buy a Pomeranian puppy. They should be able to tell you which of their members has puppies available. While speaking to breed rep, ask what you should be expecting to pay for a pet quality Pom of preferred gender.

Pomeranian Dog Clubs

They cannot tell you what individual breeder will charge, but will give you some idea. I personally would be thinking I might have to pay £1000 for a bitch, £800 for a dog from a reputable breeder.

There are lots of Toy breeds for sale now online, many look nothing like their breed standard ... Poms especially :eek:

Personally I've always called and spoken to breeder, always asked if it was a convenient time when I rang.

I'd not like to see breeders putting prices on-line, smacks of commercial breeding to me, just my thoughts .... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice