Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ruby

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ellie8024, Jul 25, 2009.

1. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i am slightly confused by our little ruby's colour although in the pictures she looks blue and white she seems to have a peachy tone to her which is even more visible during the day. i was wondering if she might be a lilac her daddy is chocolate brown and mum is a blue/cream tortie (rubys nose and pads are pale pink). i know its a long shot as lilacs are extremely rare but have had 2 other blue cats before and also have her sister who is solid blue and none of them had this warm tone

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya lilacs arent rare really, lilac is a dulute form of of choci, you have a choci dad & a tortie girl who could hold choci, so could therefore both hold lilac?!
    what breed are they? any piccis!

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

dad is a moggy but have no pics of him, my cat is a blue tortie maine coon have uploaded a few pics. I thought that lilacs were quite rare because chocolate was and i know lilac is the dilute of that.. if u click on my images am sure i have pics there but as i said ruby looks more blue in them

4. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Is there any chocolate in your girl's pedigree? If there isn't then i think you can rule out lilac. I believe both parents need to carry it to produce lilac kittens. Although I am by no means an expert, therefore not certain. Anyone else have have an idea?

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

am not sure whether they both have to carry the lilac gene all graycie is a blue tortie and her sis is black smoke as i saw her i didnt get pedigree papers etc as my girl was pregnant when i got her (her owners had got her sis speyed and not her) and their chocolate tom got her pregnant.. also know that chocolate or lilac maine coons are not recognised in the breed standard

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

looked at your pics but couldnt see a maine coon?!

they both have to carry the choc gen to produce choc and if you dont have her peds or ped name then you cant look backl over her ped although you can have her tested to see if she does carry it, if dad IS a choc then he of course carrys it :)

I think ruby looks choc, lilac is alot lighter than that from what I remember seeing

look at the lilac here compared to the choc & black

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ebunny/Fran/news.htm

#6 Taylorbaby, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  7. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i read up a little and it says maine coons can not carry the chocolate gene unless there is a mutation. Ruby is a lot lighter than she looks in the pics i quite often have to take them from a distance zoomed in or the flash just bounces back off her. the little one is definately blue and a LOT darker now than her sister. it doesnt really make much difference to me if she is blue lilac or whatever really i do love the peachy colour off the tips of her fur although nearer the roots its a pale slivery blue

8. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

have attached a pic of graycie

Attached Files:

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Taylor, who is that in your icon? Blimming gorgeous!!

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Could be a mutation, but as you dont have papers for her you dont know if she is 100% a maine coon, she could be a cross you dont know.

Both parents have to carry it so maybe the kitens arent brown?

kittens can change quite alot, she might be shaded? I dont know lol!

Thanks, it is stuning isnt it! :D

Its a 'Margay Cat' - 'Leopardus Wiedii'

First, like the Ocelot and Oncilla, its range is not in the Asian countries at all. Its home ranges from Southern Texas to Argentina. It is noted by researchers by its agility as a climber. It has been seen racing up and down tree trunks in the manner of squirrels, that is head first. It lives most of its life in the trees.
    As is evident from these photos, the head style and type of the Margay has some real differences from the previous Asian Cat species. It has a more pronounced muzzle and wider eyes with really dark black eye rims and "cheetah tear stains" from the inner eye down the sides of the muzzle. They also have a single black strip vertically above each eye up over the back skull. They can have a darker rimmed nose with either a stripe or fuller area of pink in the center. The coat is much more richly colored and much more striking markings than the Asian Leopard Cats . The coat color and very black contrasted markings are highly prized in today's Bengals. It also has the very whited undersides of the other varieties and the very horizontal flow to the markings. It also has a slightly wider and less length vertically than some other varieties of Leopard Cat. Ears seem to be shorter and very wide from base to tip. with no tendency to narrow.

This cat has contributed much in its appearance as a model for the Bengal Program. Although none of its genes have become part of our pool, nonethess it has become an ideal for some bengal breeding programs in its markings, head and ear size and shape.

Asian Leopard Cats & Pictures | NiteWindes Cattery |

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I was going to say, doesn't look like an asian leopard. Wow, talk about stunning. My OH wants one :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice