Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ruby Shark

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

hi all,

I have just purchased a Ruby Shark today and wondered if anyone has any advice on care for them?

Cheers :)

Update: Mainly i have read opposing theories about just how territorial and aggressive these fish are, on one hand I have heard that they are relatively territorial but as long as they are not housed with other sharks or aggressive fish they should be peaceful , on the other hand i have read they are super territorial and aggressive and will chase of any fish that dares to enter there territory, to the point where this can become quite distressing for smaller fish like my tetras... just some clarification from somebody with experience would be great.

#1 Fishnewbie, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

3. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Generally best to research before buying.....

Fishnewbie likes this.
  4. Fishnewbie

Nothing quite like hindsight!!, I have found some useful stuff on the internet, was just seeing if there was any experts on the forum!

5. Fishnewbie

Mainly i have read opposing theories about just how territorial and aggressive these fish are, on one hand I have heard that they are relatively territorial but as long as they are not housed with other sharks or aggressive fish they should be peaceful , on the other hand i have read they are super territorial and aggressive and will chase of any fish that dares to enter there territory, to the point where this can become quite distressing for smaller fish like my tetras... just some clarification from somebody with experience would be great.

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

I think the level of aggression you may experience will depend on the size of tank, amount of hiding places and what the other tank mates are. If the tank is on the smaller side and the fish has less places to hide, they're probably more likely to exhibit frustrated and aggressive behaviour.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  7. Fishnewbie

Thanks for the info Bunnygeek, it appears to not be getting on to well with my Golden Barbs....

8. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Never kept Sharks but I do have Barbs, I think most Barbs are a bit feisty so I don't think they would be good tank mates for sharks.
    How big is your tank and is it well planted with plenty of places for the fish to hide. You may have to return the Shark or get another tank!

9. ForestWomble

I had Tiger barbs and a red tailed black shark and they got on OK, they did have plenty of hiding spots though.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  10. Fishnewbie

Yes i agree with the Barbs being a bit feisty, they really ran the show before i introduced the Shark so this may be the issue, tanks only a 65L (which after research i have found is to small) the shark at the moment is fairly juvenile so is not near full growth, but that tank has plenty of hiding places and he/she appears to have taken claim to a coconut shell as its territory, darting out when he sees the Barbs coming close.

I am actually getting a new 200L shortly , but i am going to create a new thread for advice with regards to transferring, do you think its worth holding out and seeing how he/she does in the 200L?

11. Fishnewbie

Are tiger barbs simular in Character? it has only been a few days so this may just be them getting used to each other.

12. ForestWomble

I'm sorry, similar in character to what?

13. Fishnewbie

Apologies, to the Gold Barbs :)

14. ForestWomble

I'm sorry, I don't know.

15. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Tiger barbs are generally considered more aggressive than gold barbs. I have six gold barbs in with my odessa barbs and the gold barbs are the less aggressive of the two species. They're in a 135L and I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than that.

3dogs2cats likes this.
  16. Fishnewbie

Interesting I didn’t know gold barbs were an issue in my 65L... I’m looking to upgrade very soon and have been offered a 200L just need to purchase some bulbs and get a unit for it so not just yet, I’m assuming they will be ok for now? I have had them since juvenile

17. NaomiM

Seriously Fish recommends a minimum of 90 x 30 cm or equivalent, as they're such active shoaling fish and grow up to 3 inches (not massive, but big compared to most of the fish you'd keep in a 65L). They should be OK for now, but they'll definitely appreciate the additional space once you get it :) Any aggressive/territorial behaviour is also likely to be more pronounced in a smaller tank.

3dogs2cats likes this.
  18. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

My Odessa barbs are nuts! I knew they were going to be a handful when I collected them from my LFS. I had ordered them as they didn't stock them, they were in their bags all ready for me on collection day, I was told they would colour up when they have settled a bit. Ten minutes into their acclimation they were glowing bright red and trying to bite their way out of the bags! Very entertaining to watch them zoom around but they are proper feisty:D

Op are you intending to keep the 65l running when you have the 200l set up?

19. NaomiM

Tell me about it! I've had real trouble finding tankmates they didn't outcompete or just plain bully. The gold barbs were the only success. The odessas are getting very elderly now and I'm down to just a couple left - much as I've loved them, I'm not going to replace them as I really want a pleco in the tank and they harried my last one to death :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice