Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ruby Rainbow what might have to go back:(

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Hi All,

I’m super worried, my new shark is really aggressive towards all my fish , he is chasing them for long periods then goes and hides in his territory and then will chase again.

I’m worried about all my other fish who I have had for years now being stressed and scared, do you think he is just settling in or does he have to go back.

I told the LFS what tank I had and the other fish and they said this would be fine , does not appear to be the truth....

Any advice please

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I'd take him back and consider it a lesson learned re taking advice from LFS staff - at the end of the day they're trying to make a sale. Nothing beats doing your own research before purchasing :)

I've never had rainbow sharks, but have read that aggression to tankmates is a common problem with them.

3. Fishnewbie

Thanks I’m going to return him tomorrow, really worried for the barbs , they are acting very sketchy since swimming against the windows and being very jumpy, do you think they will be ok once he is removed?

4. NaomiM

Hopefully they'll settle down once they realise the threat has gone.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

They will calm down once he's gone.

From your previous thread, I think tank size is the driving force behind the Shark's behaviour, they are better in tanks over 150 litres.

NaomiM and Fishnewbie like this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I agree with the others. Sharks need large long tanks with lots of swimming and hiding places. Their behaviour often stresses fish out so they are not the best thing to have in community tanks.

Take it back though you may not get any money back. The fish will calm back down in a few days.

What was it about the Ruby shark you particularly liked? We may be able to.suggest a compatible alternative.

Fishnewbie and NaomiM like this.
  7. Fishnewbie

Hi Kittih, Thanks for your response, i have contacted the shop and they have offered money back or a swap (which is helpful) , to be honest the LFS is usually really helpful with advice so may have just been unlucky in this case...

What i liked about the Ruby Shark, mainly i wanted a "feature fish" something that stood out on his own and was a little larger than the other tank mates (barbs and tetras) and ideas would be great as i could potentially swap it for this, am returning this evening.

Any recommendations also to what to use to transport him back to the shop (threw the bag away)

8. NaomiM

How about a bristlenose pleco? You can get different colour variants and long-finned varieties. I find them fascinating to watch, and a single one should be OK in your tank size. You'll need to provide bogwood for it to rasp on, though.

Can you pop into the shop and ask for a bag for transportation? If not, I would think a large sandwich bag would be OK, or a large food-safe tupperware container, so long as it's really well rinsed to ensure there's no traces of any washing up liquid or other detergents on it.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  9. Fishnewbie

I will take a look and see what i find :) , thanks for your help!

10. Fishnewbie

What about golden gourami ?

11. Fishnewbie

What about golden gourami ?

12. NaomiM

A quick Google says "golden gourami" is a variant of three-spot gourami, which can grow to 15cm and needs at least a 90cm tank. I'd be a bit concerned about barbs and a gourami together in a limited space - it sounds like there's a lot of potential for fin-nipping there.

13. Fishnewbie

I do like them, maybe a potential for when I get the 200L!! Would it be the barbs nipping ?

14. NaomiM

It's the barbs nipping that I would instinctively be concerned about with any long-finned fish, but looking at the profile for three-spot gouramis, it sounds like they could potentially be the aggressor too. Sounds like it could work in a 200L though, with plenty of decor to provide separate territories and broken lines of sight.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  15. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Re transport, the LFS can give you a bag to return him in. That will be easilier than trying to use some other container as they will need to acclimatise him back into their tank water.

Re feature fish, there are quite a few to choose from. Cichlids are usually good. There are a who range depending on your tank size, the other inhabitants and your water parameters. If I understand correctly from your other post you are looking to upgrade to a 200l soon. If this is the case you will have more options.

I like fish with characters as feature fish or that have interesting behaviours. I have a 200litre tank with various shoals of community fish. My feature fish have included not at the same time: apistogamma cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlid), kribensis, Angel fish and gouramies. They pair nicely and often breed though can get agressive to tank mates in breeding season. However I have found that with lots of hiding areas and plants etc to break up line of sight in a big tank this is rarely an issue. The 200l would be best for these so maybe wait till you upgrade before adding.

One of the colour 3 spot gouramoes should be fine. I have kept golden barbs with angels before now and they have been fine but I always have a lot of plants in my tank and use those and the decor to create lots of separate areas and disrupt line of sight so everyone can get out of each others way when they want to.

16. Fishnewbie

Thanks for your reply , all really helpful advice, I took the shark back yesterday and have decided to hold fire on the purchase for now, would two gouramoes not be ok together then, on a second note i have notched since the shark has left my usually peaceful gold barbs have been chasing each other... i only have 4 do you think purchasing two more to bulk up the Shoal would help?

17. NaomiM

Yeah they should be in groups of 6+. When you have the 200L it would be worth getting even more barbs (10+ in total) as they really do best in larger shoals, but in the current tank I'd stick to 6.

Re gouramis, I think a M/F pair would be OK once you have the 200L, but I've not kept them myself so maybe others with more experience could confirm?

Fishnewbie likes this.
  18. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Male female pair of gouramies with be fine. Two males will likely fight.

Re the barbs, a few more would be good. I am down to my last,two elderly ones and in my experience they seem less bothered about smaller shoals than some but if possible they should be kept in larger groups. If the group contains a mix of males and females they will naturally chase each other. This will be calmer in a larger tank where they arent in top of each other so much.

My GBs get very energetic every so often especially in the warmer brighter days and there is lots of egg scattering in the plants. No fry ever survive, they get eaten but I take it that the fish are happy if they are actively breeding.

Waiting to stock the gouramies is a good plan I think.

19. Fishnewbie

Thanks for your response!

I agree that the GBs are very active at times and will often chase each other around but always seems harmless with no nipping.

I have mainly noticed they are actively swimming in the direction of the glass almost like they think there going somewhere but are just essentially swimming into it.... any ideas , is this normal.

How do i sex the Golden Gouramis ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice