Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rspca

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miu-D, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Miu-D

Miu-D PetForums Newbie

Hey I need advice from people who are sure of the topic & not opinions please!

5 years ago I moved into my property with my ex fiance and our five animals (2 dogs & 3 cats) he made friends with some of the neighbours as they would go fishing together. I worked nights and he worked days so someone was always home for the animals. I suffered alot of domestic violence with him and eventually left last April. I had a huge breakdown and was signed off of work on the sick. I suffer from PTSD, anxiety and depression, lockdown has been super difficult on me because all I have is my medicine, no support and no therapy. I've deqlt with so much abuse from my ex, people watching my house, lies spread about me, my bank account blocked, people around my house during the night.. A few months ago when i was walking my dogs a neighbour explained she'd caught another neighbour recording my house and had been told by said neighbour I work 18 hour night shifts and leave my animals home alone, I explained this is incorrect and I actually hadn't worked that job since I left my ex and I now work fully from home.

The neighbours that were recording my house are good friends with my ex and have been known to watch me on his behalf. Today I had the RSPCA knock at my door, I didn't answer because I have panic attacks when people come to my house, my family and friends call in advance. She was shouting through my letterbox "this is the RSPCA answer the door or I'll come back with the police" and talking to my next door neighbour who confirmed I was always home. They've been out twice in one day, I know they have no legal rights and I don't have to talk to them.

My pets live in a nice home with a large garden, food, fresh water and don't even look abused, malnourished or whatever. How do I handle this case? I'm tired of harassment.. We're in lockdown and I have an RSPCA officer looking through my letterbox and shouting my private business in the street...

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Let the RSPCA in.

You have nothing to hide or be afraid of.

It isn't personal, they have to respond to reports of neglect/abuse.

Once they see your animals are well cared for, they will leave you alone.

By refusing to answer the door, you're fuelling the fire.

3. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

You have two options.
    1) let them in
    2) continue to not let them in.

if you choose to do number one, be very careful. What you may think is acceptable condition for your animal, they may not.

if you choose to not let them in, then that is your right as they have no right of entry. Even if they return with the police, that does not guarantee access, the police must have reasonable suspicion of animal mistreatment under the law to allow them to enter a property and even then it will require a warrant. An allegation alone is not enough.

4. Miu-D

Miu-D PetForums Newbie

Is there someone I can contact for them to leave me alone? Shes literally opening my letter box, looking into my house and shouting this is the RSPCA come to the door or I'll bring the police. I live in a small cul-de-sac its humiliating having neighbours message asking why the RSPCA are here.. I submitted a complaint on the RSPCA website about her behaviour. She came out twice in of day too, four hours apart!

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No.

Let them in. They only want to see that your animals are okay. Once they do, they will leave you alone.

LinznMilly, Happy Paws2 and kimthecat like this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im sorry to hear of your predicament. The Inspector should have left a phone number for you to contact.
    Why not let the Inspector in next time and prove the allegation is false.

7. Miu-D

Miu-D PetForums Newbie

I don't know if you guys even know about the RSPCA but they're notorious for removing animals from homes without good reason, and almost half animals removed are destroyed. So I'm absolutely NOT letting them in, nor am I required to as they're a charity not a lawful organisation..

Calvine and Douglas’ Dad like this.
  8. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Nope. You can of course just let them in and that will in theory stop them. (although in current pandemic I would be inclined to say they see the animal at the door way rather than enter your property). They will try the threatening behaviour in regards to police but again they need good reason to enter the property.

if it is neighbourly disputes and malicious behaviour you may want to also speak to your local PCSO as well.

#8 stuaz, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you have a smart phone you could show the RSPCA around the house and your pets using FaceTime or WhatsApp.

That might solve the issues, prove your animals are fine, without letting them in.

10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

So they know you were in and just refusing to answer the door? That probably won't look good.

LinznMilly and rona like this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Good idea (if they would agree to it). Since we are now in lockdown, I think OP can reasonably argue that she does not want strangers in her house. I understood the R$PCA were short staffed, that one ''inspector'' covered hundreds of miles, but it seems that is not the case. They have just closed the Putney Animal Hospital and a few equine centres to save money, but they knock on someone's door twice in one day . . . amazing really. They should leave a ''calling card'' asking you to contact them. If I were you, I would vacuum clean the whole house, make sure your pets' living quarters/litter trays/feed bowls etc are spotless then invite them in; but be sure to have a witness, a friend who can give you moral support. Maybe the one who messaged you? And be prepared to record/video anything that goes on. Very sorry to hear you are having this on top of all your other problems. There is a group called SHG (self help group) for people who are worried about RSPCA practices and I will try to find their number. Try to stay calm, difficult as it is.

#11 Calvine, Nov 6, 2020
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

http://the-shg.org/

@Miu-D: Try giving these people ^^^^ a ring . . . they may have some advice which will put your mind at rest. Take care.

#12 Calvine, Nov 6, 2020
    Douglas’ Dad and Miu-D like this.
  13. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

I have always found the RSPCA utterly unhelpful when you need them and unnecessarily aggressive when you don’t. The inspector should leave her number so you can discuss the matter on the phone with her. I certainly wouldn’t allow anyone in my house if they behaved like that without good reason.

Calvine and rona like this.
  14. Douglas’ Dad

Wow. This is frightening.

Calvine likes this.
  15. Douglas’ Dad

Absolutely. We are in lockdown in a pandemic. They are behaving in a way which is a risk to public health.

Calvine likes this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Spoke to one of my neighbours yesterday and he was enraged because he had knocked on another neighbour's door about some problem and she would not let him in as he was not wearing a mask. It's her choice. But certainly I would not allow some random stranger in unless they are wearing a mask. Even with a mask they will be touching stuff and OP sounds as tho' she has enough problems without worrying if they are contaminating her place.

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  17. Douglas’ Dad

Yes and they enough money to run expensive National TV ad campaigns. Their executives must be making a packet.

Calvine likes this.
  18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I believe the CEO is on about £150k . . . many ''charities'' pay the same. Nice work if you can get it. Think that's about the same as the PM?

rona and Douglas’ Dad like this.
  19. Miu-D

Miu-D PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much Calvine, I called and they were amazing.. They put me directly in contact with a solicitor and gave me plenty of advice. They told me to not speak to them at all, refuse to sign anything and if I do have to speak to them, make them aware I am seeking legal action

Calvine likes this.
  20. Miu-D

Miu-D PetForums Newbie

Thank you from me & my much loved, not neglected or abused poochies! (The 3 cats will absolutely not sit anywhere near eachother to get a picture taken together!!! Lol)

Attached Files:

Calvine and rona like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice