Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

RSPCA withdraw from Crufts dog show.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bichonsrus, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I found this on the internet, i was wondering how you felt about this?

The RSPCA, the UK's largest animal welfare organisation, has announced its withdrawal from both Crufts dog show and Discover Dogs, another national dog event hosted by the Kennel Club. The society has recognised that there is a huge, gaping and very obvious problem affecting the long term welfare of many pedigree dogs, bred to a set of 'standards' that are contributing to the demise and suffering of many, many dogs.

The Kennel Club has failed to adequately defend itself or its record against the weight of evidence levelled against it by the documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed. It has accused the BBC (the long time broadcaster of Crufts dog show) of supporting a biased documentary. What the Kennel Club has not been able to do is accuse the documentary of being fundamentally untrue. A major difference.

In fact, let us look at it this way; if a newspaper journalist received a tip off that a doctor was incompetent and was making his patients health conditions worse, would it be 'bias' to set out to expose this? Would the journalist be duty bound to give equal prominence to the number of patients who he DIDN'T kill? Of course not, the 'defence' that Pedigree Dogs Exposed was biased is all just smoke and mirrors. But let's not worry too much about that, the lawyers will be able to settle that issue once and for all (the Kennel Club has stated that it is considering legal action, let's just see how well that works out for them).

The RSPCA's decision is the right one. They absolutely could not, under any circumstances, appear credible on animal welfare issues if they were still prominently attending Crufts dog show with a large trade stand. It would be ludicrous to think otherwise. Their own chief, Mark Evans, admirably set out the case against the Kennel Club (and Crufts) in the documentary. His argument, compelling. The RSPCA could not possibly then move forward by attending Crufts as if nothing had happened. They have made the right move and indeed any other company or charity that claims to have animal welfare standards at heart should take serious heed of the tagline for Pedigree Dogs Exposed: The biggest animal welfare scandal of our time. And it is.

The Kennel Club, for its part, has cried foul every step of the way. They issued a pre broadcast rally cry that the documentary had pre-conceived agenda (it did, it intended to expose animal welfare abuses - and it succeeded). The irony of issuing a pre-conceived press release accusing the documentary of pre-conceiving its agenda, clearly lost on Clarges St officials.

The Kennel Club does accept it has a problem. That's good. That's a step in the right direction, yes? Well no, not really. It tempers such statements by placing the blame at the feet of 'the Victorians'. Oh dear. It has taken them over a century to work through problems that were NOWHERE near as serious in the Victorian age. Mysteriously, we are crippling dogs of today. We have problems.

Will the Kennel Club reform? In my humble opinion, judging by the weight of history, they will reform only if it fits in with the wishes of its members. For the Kennel Club, you must acknowledge, is actually a private members club which happened to get very large over a period of a century of unchallenged domination in the UK pedigree dog world. The Kennel Club is mortal. It protects its and its members interests, always has done and will continue to do so.

So we must turn our attention to the BBC. Personally, I love seeing dogs on television. It's all too rare nowadays to see the positive portrayal of dogs in the media. In my view, Crufts is not a positive portrayal of dogs in the media. I must state at this juncture, I am pro dog and NOT anti pedigree dogs, NOT anti dog showing and NOT anti breeder. I own two pedigree dogs, I have personally bred (working) dogs in the past, I have attended dog shows. I am however very ANTI animal cruelty. When I look at some breeds that have been physically brought to the brink of ruination, let's call it what it is actually is eh? It IS animal cruelty. What we accept as 'normal' is a breed that may die at six years of age due to an almost guaranteed congenital condition. Isn't this animal cruelty? We have, as Mark Evans the RSPCA chief vet quite rightly states, begun to accept 'abnormal as normal'. How about we stop doing that?

The BBC is funded by the money of UK resident TV owners. In other words, the public. Not just dog owners, all of us who own a TV in the UK must pay our cash to the BBC every year for them to make programmes for us. If we want to watch any TV, we have no choice. Fine. But the BBC has a choice as to how it spends OUR money. And given what it broadcast on its own channel, exposing 'the biggest animal welfare scandal of our time', the BBC should now be OBLIGATED not to spend another PENNY of our cash supporting animal cruelty.

I would like to make a pledge and I would urge you to consider your own positions.

"I will personally not pay another penny to the BBC if they continue to broadcast Crufts dog show".

I reach this position not because of one hour of programming which highlighted issues in animal welfare that I already knew about (and have spoken about for years). I reach this position not because I am anti dog showing. I LOVE dog events, I love all aspects of dog ownership. I reach this position because we're in 2008, we have an animal welfare crisis on our hands. The annual canine beauty pageant broadcast from the NEC, by the largest public service broadcaster in the world, has finally had its day.

I am a dog lover and a licence fee payer, I want dog programming, I don't want (or need) Crufts. I don't want or need to feel like I am tacitly endorsing a steady decline in dog breeding and animal welfare standards in the UK. I don't want or need to feel like I stood by and did nothing. I need the BBC to know how I, as a licence fee payer, feel about the programmes they pump money in to.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed will do more for long term animal welfare standards than Crufts ever did. So BBC, let's see exposés on puppy farming. Let's see documentaries highlighting some of the cruel laws that see dogs die as a result of what they look like. Let's see documentaries on assistance dogs, animal welfare work, dog adoption and more.

Let's have a positive portrayal of dogs and let's see more programmes showing to the UK the problem areas we MUST address if we ever truly wish to call ourselves a nation of animal lovers. Let's ditch Crufts without delay, do it now. And let us move on, in the RIGHT direction. The one that will benefit our canine friends, not harm them.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've seen this before, I'm afraid I don't support the RSPCA, I prefer to support rescue organisations that don't waste money.

3. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

This year i watched all the Crufts Agility on the net ,i am not interested in watching the breed classes,the coverage of agility was the best its ever been,when Crufts has been on BBC they only showed snippits of Agility. My self and others i have spoken with ref Crufts think its only a matter of time before Crufts moves to Europe.

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

This is old news.
    I don't support the RSPCA either,they need to get there own house in order before attacking other canine organisations.

5. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Im sorry that you have seen this before, to me it was new news, i had not heard this until someone posted me the link today.

6. dacostalot

dacostalot PetForums Newbie

"Re: RSPCA withdraw from Crufts dog show."

Who cares?

The only people that are interested in Crufts are pompus...honestly..who cares whether a dog can jump over a stick?? if I wanted to see that I'd get mine to do it - the fact is, the KC are responsible for tight limits on how a dog should look which in turn has forced breeders to cross breed (which is sick) just to get a 'perfect' dog...IMHO those people who support it, carry it out and sign up to the KC, should be shot.

If the KC was a government org...which its not...I could understand why they would have so much power. They need to remember they are a CLUB, not a governing body supported by UK law, EU law or international law...its a group of sick people who think they have power.

Ban KC from the world is what I say or get them governed...

Anyone want to buy a boot liner?

7. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Crossbreed?
    don't you mean interbreed no?
    Theres nothing wrong with my mongrel!!!!

8. Savahl

Savahl Guest

You have obviously never tried agility! its great fun, and i enjoy watching it :eek: I just dont follow the show side of things

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'm interested in Crufts :)

Both my girls are KC registered too, and I intend to breed KC registered pups ;)

There's already a number of threads relating to the KC and breed standards, so I won't go over old ground that others have already covered so well, suffice to say it isn't a policing organisation, it holds information and relies on members and the public to report any issues.

10. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

That's one hell of a generalisation saying that only pompous people are interested in crufts and I take grate offense to it.

KC are not the ones that set the breed standard for dogs, that is down to the individual breed clubs so you are wrong to say it's the KC.

11. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Also I think they needs to do careful research before declaring something "sick" like crossbreeding (assuming means inbreeding like you said)...there is a difference between inbreeding and linebreeding, and i would think most responsible show breeders do not direct inbreed there dogs, but linebreed. The BYB's and puppy farmers are more likely to inbreed and this has little to do with crufts.

Im no breeder and have basic knowledge on it myself but bothered to read up a bit before jumping to a conclusion

12. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

I am actually that sick of seeing rude people on this forum im thinking of leaving.
    People come on here to get advice, to give advice, and to meet new people.
    Not to watch arguments and be criticised (sp?)

Yes alot of bad things are happening but i thought this was a place to talk about our own animals and the joys of owning them.

Rant over. :eek:ut:

Rach x

13. dacostalot

Well, if you think a dog would rather be jumping over sticks, basically performing as a clown for your and others amusement, OR chasing its tail and other dogs and rabbits....what do you think the dog would choose?...I know what my dog chooses

14. dacostalot

cross breeding - I meant interbreeding and not line breeding

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

but the kennel club approves them ;)

16. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Sorry i quoted you instead of the post you quoted which is what i was talking about x
    (i love my crossbreed too =D)

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

FYI, tail chasing is a behavioural issue, caused by stress and boredom.

Agility is great for high energy dogs, who would otherwise find a standard pet life very boring and stressful. Dogs need an outlet for their energy, agility is just one method.

18. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

its okay lol it just frustrates me! I wanna hear about peoples pets and themselves in general.
    Not crufts, definatley not the RSPCA and not puppy farming!
    but the lovely animals that have great homes!

19. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Buster loves agility. and im running around like a clown with him thanks :)
    And thats once a week, he still has the same time to chase balls, run around and do what he likes as much as your dog. (although i dont let him chase his tail!) in fact he gets half an hour before and after the class running around and playing with the other dogs in the class :p There is nothing wrong with getting your dog to focus a little.

#19 Savahl, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  20. dacostalot

well, tbh my dog doesn't have a tail, it was a sweeping statement.

but, I am sticking to my op about pompous people and crufts and kc and agility 'classes'.

My dog is Winston btw, Rottweiler cow dog :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice