Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

RSPCA prosecutes owner of obese dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by picaresque, Jan 8, 2019.

1. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Although the DM fails to mention in the headline the nasty untreated ear condition one of the dogs suffered from, which must have played a large part in the decision
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...erriers-barrel-shaped-fed-cheese-pudding.html

Feel a little sorry for this bloke tbh, sounds like he gradually became overwhelmed, but the dogs are obviously better off elsewhere. It's not even that unusual to see such fat dogs, I wonder if we'll see more cases like this or was this man an easy target?

Animalfan likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If they saw the dogs first time 2016 and next in 2018 to discover the dogs had got bigger then surely earlier follow up would make sense to ensure he follows the advice?

As for the ear - that too would have been spotted and treatment enforced. There was obviously a problem - looked very inflamed :(

Intervening before animals suffer badly makes more sense to me - they are left far too long before interventions imo

Follow ups seem to be lacking allowing deterioration of conditions or flouting of prohibitions.

One or two owners round here need to watch out though if fat dogs are being seized - a couple of local dogs are very overweight.

#2 Lurcherlad, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    picaresque and Boxer123 like this.
  3. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

I'm inclined to think easy target. I've seen dogs out and about worse than this. If the conditions the dogs were kept in were otherwise good looks a little heavy handed. Still, he should have gone to the PDSA with the ear infection.

picaresque and Animalfan like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I know a dog that makes those two look sylph like. I wish something could be done.

picaresque and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

That's sad, its a shame he wasn't willing/or able to work with a vet to reduce the dogs weight and keep them himself. But at least they are much happier now.

Sometimes it does creep up on you though. Last time I took Heidi to the vets they pointed out she had put on weight and looked abit too chunky. I suppose I hadn't realised but she had 2 injuries just before xmas (a back strain and a limpy leg). I was feeding her the same but she just wasn't running about as much as before. Poor girl.....now she is back to running about and has to put up with a diet too!:D

picaresque likes this.
  6. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

With trying to care for a parent with dementia, plus two overweight dogs his life would have been difficult I would think. Yes, the dogs were overweight but I've seen far worse and I think he was probably just an easy target, poor man has now lost his mother and his dogs. Hope the RSPCA inspector that visited him was more polite than the ignorant female who came to my door throwing accusations without pausing long enough or me to reply. Sadly for her she couldn't actually find anything wrong with any of my animals.

Lurcherlad, Boxer123 and picaresque like this.
  7. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I'm not surprised at the dogs being removed. There was a welfare issue especially with lack of vet care. Love alone isn't enough, although I do feel sorry for him that he has lost his companions. To take him to court, considering his circumstances, that was unnecessary imo. They used him to make an example I guess.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

RSPCA damned if they do , damned if they don't .
    But yeah seen fatter dogs than that but it was fat and something needed doing .

How did the dog come to the attention of the RSPCA in the first place

9. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

It is cruel to make a pet obese, who would want to make their animal suffer, that is sadly the realith of obesity.

A local man had labradors that were morbidly obese, they could barely walk far enough to leave the garden, each lovely dog had passed away by three years old. While they enjoyed the food they were given, there’s the painful joints, breathlessness, not being able to play or even move appropriately to toilet. It is no kinder than starvation.

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  10. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

It does surprise me when people make excuses for what amounts to at best, unintentional neglect and at worse cruelty. Obesity can make dogs lives miserable and that ear infection should have been treated. If this man would not or could not take proper care of his dog the RSPCA were right to intervene in my opinion.

Happy New Year to you all by the way!

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice