Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

royal canine food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by zara2000, Apr 7, 2011.

1. zara2000

zara2000 PetForums Newbie

We have a 9 week old puppy , he was being fed dry food ,one which the breeder was feeding him before we brought him home ( sorry i seem to have forgot which brand in was now ) when we took him to the vets for his health check the vet recommened royal canine , we tried it in dry food & tins but since being fed royal canine he seems to have become really hypoactive all the time . We might just be blaming the food i just wondered if anyone else had fed there puppy on royal canine & did you have the same problem ?

2. All mine are fed on royal canin and have been since they left their mums milk.

Never had any issues however every dog is different.

If you feel the food is making him hyper it maybe a good idea to try him on other food. Depending on your budget Arden grange is a good food. As is fish4dogs.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Never take the advice of a vet when it comes to food, unless it is something like fish and rice to aid in a runny tum. They get commission on the food they sell, and will always try to sell you what they have in stock.

My dogs did very well on giant breed rc, but the puppy food does have too much protein for some puppies and it sounds like yours is one of them. Try to find a food that has no additives, no cereals or fillers. If he was ok on what the breeder was feeding him, go back to that. Ask the breeder if you have forgotten. Good food is Barking Heads and they do a puppy variety.

4. vbud88

vbud88 PetForums Newbie

bolo is fed on royal canine for golden retrievers, thats what the breeder recomended she feeds her goldies on that,he loves it and never has had an upset tummy since we brought him home at 7 weeks hes 17 weeks old now:D

5. Sarah41

Sarah41 PetForums Junior

Juno came home at 8 weeks having been fed Royal Canin by the breeder. I found her poos were very loose and after a couple of months switched her to Burns. She has been fine on Burns but to be honest I found the price incredibly high so I recently switched to skinners hypoallergenic duck and rice which she is on and seems to suit her.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have fed Bella on various foods, but royal canin seems to suit her best. she gets it mixed in with cooked food and leftovers too.

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Oh dear, must keep my trap shut! Google the ingredients. Wouldn't go near the stuff.

There are lots quality foods for a similar price.

It's whatever suits the dog but until there's a problem, you don't know there is an issue.

8. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I feed all of my dogs and cat on RC foods, I use Dalmatian 22, Dachshund, Medium Adult, Medium Light and Siamese 38. I fed my last litter of puppies on Medium Starter (used to be Baby). I have found the foods to be excellent, my dogs have great coats and small formed stools my older Dalmatian has gradually lost 4kg on the Medium Light and is looking all the better for it :) I have found that they are very willing to chat about their products if you give them a call. They have been very generous to a Dalmatian Charity that I belong to also. I do however find that everyone has their own preferences when it comes to feeding their dogs. :blink:
    Good luck with what ever you choose. :)

#8 Dazadal, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  9. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I fed my Springer on RC when she was a pup-she was hyperactive and really hard to cope with.

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Far too much cereal for me I'm afraid. Fine if dogs get on with cereal, but I dont think it's ideal. As mentioned, there are plenty of cheaper, similar quality foods and plenty of similar priced better quality.

I took the RC sensitive from my vet when mine had a tum upset. Looking at the ingredients, I may as well have given her chappie. (I now have a tin of chappie in the cupboard for emergencies)

Could well be the cereal causing problems may be go for something cereal free and see how you get on.:D

11. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

It's used as a cheap filler, no other reason. Dogs can't process/use cereal and it often causes a reaction, even allergies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice