Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

royal canin veternery food and the shop bought variety?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lillynharry, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lillynharry

lillynharry PetForums Member

Im having a bit of a web "window shopping" spree lol on kitten foods for when i get my future kitten.:blush:

I've read wet is best but i'm just curious to know what the difference is between Royal canin babycat and Royal Canin Kitten Weaning SO Dry ID34?:confused: Is one better than the other?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

That's a question I asked RC recently and they couldn't (wouldn't?) tell me. All they would say was that the Weaning biscuit was only available in their veterinary range and therefore not available retail or to breeders through the RC breeder club. I don't feed much biscuit at all to my kittens but was given a free bag of Weaning by my vet; the kittens loved it where they wouldn't touch the Babycat. At that time I didn't have any Babycat biscuit so couldn't compare to see if there was any difference in composition/nutritional values... but I strongly suspect there's little, if any, difference. Makes no odds to me as I won't be buying the Weaning biscuit from my vet.. it's stupidly expensive for what is, after all, a not particularly high quality food IMO.

3. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

4. lillynharry

lillynharry PetForums Member

Thankyou for your replies. Ive saved the cat feeding link to my favourites.:smile5:
    My 10 yr old cat eats both wet and dry which i switch to different brands quite often as he gets fussy and refuses his food (ususally after i've stocked up on something i think he loves lol):rolleyes: He doesn't use a tray but goes outside so i don't get to see what his toilet habbits are like. :eek:The reason i was thinking of a dried food was because i was told dry food keeps the cats stools harder and less smelly. As i'm getting a ragdoll who will ofcourse be a house cat, i thought feeding wet might cause her to be loose and have a messy bum? And a smellier litter tray?:blush:

If i get a kitten that has been weaned onto a dry food, how long will i need to leave him/her on this food before i can switch? Thanks.xx

5. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

That's another fallacy about dry food (along with its supposed teeth cleaning abilities). Because it has carbohydrates, whether grains or potatoes, by its very nature, dry food contains anywhere from a fair amount to a great deal of fillers that are not digestible by the cat. So, if it doesn't get digested, it gets pooped out. More things that aren't digested mean more waste at the other end. You'll find poops are smaller and probably less smelly with wet, and even more so with raw.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice