Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Royal Canin puppy pack

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by foxyroxy1979, Apr 14, 2011.

1. foxyroxy1979

foxyroxy1979 PetForums Junior

Just received puppy packs from RC and I think they are rubbish. Ok so they have a voucher for a free bag and another one for £3 off the next but there's no airtight box to reuse and the info booklet is so basic. I was going to add things anyway but I'm really disappointed with RC

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Everyone is cutting back, and this includes dog food manufacturers. Some now don't offer puppy packs at all, or charge (quite a chunky sum) for them and even then expect you to pass on details of your puppy owners for their marketing, in return for the seemingly 'discounted' price.

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

When I joined RC, I was told that the puppy packs were quite substantial and consisted of free food, a lead, a measuring jug and some money off vouchers. By the time we had our first litter, the packs had been downgraded to a plastic folder with a booklet in and not much else, they did send me measuring cups though as I'd asked for them. This time the packs are a paper folder with the booklet and I've had a lot of trouble wth the food too.
    The starter pro food used to be excellent, both mum and pups thrived on it would wolf it down in no time at all. It was easy to use, just pour the lactol over it and it would mush down to a porridge in about 5 mins. The food now is like cat litter/chippings for the mini breed and just a little bit bigger for the medium breed :( I rang RC about it and spoke to the girl in nutrition dept. She assured me that the kibble should rehydrate within 20 mins and mash down to a sloppy porridge :rolleyes: yeah yeah. I timed some ;) it took 40 mins to absorb just plain boiled water and wouldn't mush down, it stayed like soggy rice crispies... totally disappointed !! The girl I spoke to said it must be a bad bag and she'd would compensate me with a replacement sack plus some tins of the new puppy mousse. When the package came it was 2 x 1kg bags and 6 tins of mousse... hardly compensation !!! :eek:

I had to ring the rep to get any sense and get the food exchanged although the medium isn't much better but at least it's big enough pieces for the mum to eat.

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

My youngest boy came home on RC and I know the breeder also said it had changed compared to when she had used it on previous litters. I kept Dylan on it for a short while - then bought a bag which 12 months date on it, and the smell when I opened it was RANK - even puppy turned his nose up at it - thankfully I had Pro Plan puppy here and did a straight swap (had no other choice - it was either that or starve - and if anyone has ever tried starving a Lab - they will know it's a non-starter) - thankfully we didn't have any ill effects from the switch.

I personally think RC is too high in protein, but I know lots of breeders who use it and their dogs thrive on it.

5. I love RC. I think everyone gathered that by now.
    When we got Alaska she came with free food (rc) and a rc lead and a booklet. Kai didnt and Aiden came to us on beta which came with a little beta bag (like a swimming bag that you had in school).

I do agree that the puppy packs are not generous. But I have a family friend who owns a pet shop that sells the RC boxes and RC measuring cups which we will buy from her and add them into our puppy packs.

6. clamar

clamar PetForums Newbie

hi

i have always used RC, but when choosing food for weaning (not for a week or two yet) i did some research, i found fish4dogs, this is highly recommended by some breeders, so i logged on and had a look, they do a mousse like Rc and the kibble is almost the same too.

so i joined and received, a welcome pack, free samples and a huge 15kg of puppy food! they have reserved my puppy packs for me so unsure what are in them.
    i am going to try the mousse and kibble, if it doesnt agree will fall back to Rc, but i cannot join RC breeders club as i only have one bitch, they want you to have two, which i was a little put out by, i have bought their food for years but not good enough to have puppy packs to them, how can i recommed then to new owners without their help.:blink:

7. What discount do breeders get with fish4dogs?

8. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I wanted to try Fish4dogs and when we were at a show last year they had a stand with loads of samples in dishes outside :) So I took Benji for a walk along the line of bowls filled with food and one by one he turned his nose up, apart from the last one ;) he cocked his leg up over that one :p

Thing is, I do give my dogs fish, they get sardines or tuna mixed in with their kibble and they've had the odd fish finger... they really like fish :)

9. clamar

clamar PetForums Newbie

this is the email i got when i registered;

not tried the food yet :)

Thank you for your online registration to join the Fish4Dogs Breeder club & congratulations on your new litters!

Your Breeder club membership is now active & you are entitled to exclusive breeder club prices & benefits. These include no minimum order requirement & free delivery! Just log into your breeder account at Fish4Dogs Online Shop - Healthy Premium Complete Food & Treats for Dogs. Prices Include Delivery to place orders, check previous orders, register new litters & new owner details .

I have ordered you a free 15kg bag of puppy complete for when you are ready to start weaning the pups, your Breeder pack is on its way and your puppy packs are reserved for despatch to you when your pups are approximately 5 weeks old so that you have them in time to hand over to the new owners. I hope mums & pups are well & a photo of the pups is always appreciated!

If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Kind Regards,

shazalhasa likes this.
  10. foxyroxy1979

foxyroxy1979 PetForums Junior

I think I'll have a look at the fish4dogs. Clamar I'm not part of the RC club but they said to me if I bought a bag of the mother and baby starter food and sent them the receipt or barcode from the bag they would send the puppy packs which they did. I wasn't sure about joining the club yet so did it that way. I'm thinking about trying James Wellbveloved too as my other dogs aren't that keen on the RC only mum.

11. clamar

clamar PetForums Newbie

mum likes the fish4dogs swo thats good, shes always liked fish anyway and the kibble and mousse are similiar to rc but fishier, worth a try anyway.
    been told the rc puppy packs are a bit stingey now and owners need to add to them, used to be excellent, so be interested in the fish4dogs ones.:D

12. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

The fish4dogs puppy packs consist of 1.5kg of food,a measuring scoop,1 pouch of salmon mouse and membership to their puppy club which allows the new owners to purchase the food at discount price.
    I find the puppy packs a bit expensive really.I feed my dogs on fish4dogs and have also raised a litter on it they loved it,especially the salmon mouse.If you join the breeder club you can get a 15Kg bag for between 30-32 pounds free delivery...as aposed to the normal price of £55 for 15Kg.

13. That's not bad!

RC is £42 (I think) for 20kg were as its 15kg for £49.99 usually. :scared:

14. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I tried joing RC but as i dont have 2 breeding bitches i can't.

In fact at the moment currently i dont have ANY!!! And depending on how the new girl does etc etc etc i still may end up without ANY we will see.

I have joined Fish4dogs though but only since reading this thread didn't know they did the breeding section.

Puppy that comes home tomorrow in on RC and i have LOADS of the stuff my son said it smells like tomato soup.

Pup will be moved over when shes older onto what candy has. However i'd like to try candy on something nicer. Her kibble is rather boring but its the only one i have found so far that doesn't upset her skin. Dally rash is a NIGHTMARE. lol

15. clamar

clamar PetForums Newbie

im really happy with the fish4dogs so far.
    was dead chuffed with my FREE 15kg bag of puppy food ;)mu loves the salmon mousse so hopefully pups will wean nicely on it.
    i have lost faith in RC im afraid.

16. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Have RC changed their joining requirements recently ? When we joined we only had the 1 bitch but had 4 dogs in total and an affix, they said this was enough to join :confused:

17. You have to have 4 or more dogs. When we joined they knew we only had 1 breeding bitch and were fine with it.

18. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

4 or more dogs or 2 breeding bitchs i have 2 dogs once Pup is home tomorrow and 0/1 breeding bitch depends on pup as she grows etc etc

I may have to gain a couple of dogs somewhere :eek: Or LIE

19. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

To be honest, RC is a crap food for the price. Its junk. I stopped feeding it once I found out what is in it. BHA, chemical preservatives galore, binders and fillers etc. I have all of my dogs on grain free foods; Taste of The Wild, Acana, and Orijen rotation, and they are doing fabulously. An extra £10-£20 per large-sized bag, but it lasts so much longer and its sooo much better for the dogs.

I will probably put the puppy packs together myself if I ever breed if Champion pet foods don't start breeder programs in the UK.

20. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

We do our own puppy packs as well but it's nice to give some food so that they have something straight away that the puppy will be used to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice