Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Royal canin puppy food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan8985, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Ryan8985

Ryan8985 PetForums Junior

Our puppy Olly (12 weeks) has been on royal canin as the breeder had him on his and we just kept his food the same through advice. (Royal canin junior dry food)

He doesent go crazy or show any enthusiasm for his dry food and we have to mix chicken, sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese and a whole load of other methods to make him eat it, that being said he will pick at it if it's left out, and when he eats it with anything mixed in it he doesent pick out the good stuff he does eat it all, I know some dogs spit out what they don't want but he doesent do this, however we want to try something else to see if he's more enthusiastic about his food. Also he itches his paws a lot and bites himself a lot again not sure if normal.
    We have been trying to research his current food and from what it seems Royal canin isn't as good as we first thought it was. Anyone else got any reviews on this food or any other dry food recommendations? Maybe he's just fussier I'm not sure but just wanting to give him the best.

We have ordered a welcome pack of Millie's wolf heart to see what he's like with it but it hasn't yet arrived

Any further advice or experiences or recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Ps) not sure if the misbehaving is just a puppy thing at times or if different food would make a difference.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Have a look at the sticky thread here, or at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores foods on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above. Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money.

Food can contribute to behavioural issues but Royal Canin isn't one of the usual suspects so probably it's just normal puppyness!

Ryan8985 likes this.
  3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Is Ollie a Border Collie? If so I know a lot of collie owners that feed Millies Wolfheart and it is a good food.

My collies are fed Arden Grange, which is hypoallergenic, and they have all done well on it for many years now.

4. Belle87

Belle87 PetForums Newbie

I used royal canin puppy food for my dog and she kept biting her paws as well and it also stained her face very badly, so I changed brand and she stopped it straight away. It is common as I've seen other people commenting on their dogs bitting paws and legs when on this food. I have tried James Wellbeloved & Lilys kitchen food but I would recommend Lily's kitchen as it's all natural ingredients and I have noticed a massive change in my pups coat and for the first time since I got her she is actually eating her food as soon as I put it down. I used the trays with kibble. Hope this helps!

5. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Member

My puppy was originally on Royal Canin from the breeders but, she did not really take to it. Having tried a number of different dry foods, I have moved her onto the Canagan brand. This is a gluten free dry dog food, which comes out very well on the allaboutdogfood site review (4.6 out of 5) Might be worth looking at the different foods on this site and comparing them. Simply cut and paste the list ingredients into the review app on the allaboutfood website and it will give you a rating

6. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming PetForums Member

My Dobermann was on Royal Canin Maxi before I switched to raw. He gained weight which I was thrilled with as he was underweight however that is the only positive I can say about this food. The negatives were that he was permanently chewing and scratching himself which let to him having small wounds on his legs. His urine was very overpowering and also he was very hyperactive whilst on this food.

7. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Member

My friend has moved his dog from Royal Canin to raw but, had similar problems with chewing and itching. I told him about my experience with Canagan and he's currently trying his dog on the free range chicken version so far, the results are looking positive but, I guess time will tell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice