Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Royal canin?? Opinions on if you think it's good or not

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vickieb, Jan 7, 2012.

1. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Hullo, was just after opinions on what people think of royal canin dry food. I thought it was real good quality but read a thread on the health section sayin it's poor quality :-/ the breeder used this and I suppose because it's 50ish quid I thought It was the best. Would like to know what you think?? :)

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It really is overpriced crap tbh.

Breeders get great deals and loads of free stuff like puppy packs, from the company, one reason so many use it, and vets get a certain % of the profits, which is why they push it constantly.

There are miles better foods out there, but also miles worse.

For your money though, you could get a far far superior and more species appropriate food.

3. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Oh no!! So what is a good brand in your opinion?? What about Burns or James Welloved (not quite sure what's its called) I was recommended Burns by a farm store but was unsure :confused:

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

5. abbiechi

abbiechi PetForums Senior

Phoebe was fed on Royal Canin and we struggled for months to get her to eat it, now she's on James Wellbeloved and she can't get enough. Honestly I think she found it boring and bland!

6. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Most of ours are fed on RC and that is what we raise our puppies on, it really is horses for courses and what suits some doesn't suit another, having been on nutritional talks with some of the 'other' dog food companies it is hard to understand and to put over exactly what goes into a bag of food and how the break down is interpreted. I would not feed some of the other foods that people recommend but as I say you feed what suits your dog and yourself.

Ours are always in 'top nick' condition and this we achieve by finding the food that best suits the dog, I have one that is fed on Nature Diet and does ok on it, one that is fed on Fishmonger's, one fed on Cobbydog but the others are all on different grades of RC.

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

There are better foods out there imo. Burns didn't suit mine, he needed insane amounts to maintain weight. He did well on James Wellbeloved but did best on Wainwrights. What suits one dog may not suit another but personally I'd be looking for something with less filler than RC.

9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Whilst going through the http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/189896-dry-dog-food-index.html look at the ingredients and compare them. You should see an increase in meat as well as a reduction in grain products as the quality improves. Anything containing "Permitted EC additives" should be avoided as they may include additives thought to cause cancer. Whilst people can give the benefit of their own experiences it always useful to know why a food may be bad/good or indifferent.

Always bear in mind.. Price <> Quality. Price is often used as a marketing ploy as people expect it to be though.

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

RC is, IMO, absolute crap. Good advertising from vets has helped make it popular and so it's ridiculous elevated price.

Use the dogfoodanalysis website to see ingredients/reviews.

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

My newfies were raised from puppies on Royal Canin giant breed, but Ferdie did not like the adult one and at the time it was becoming too expensive. I also thought the junior may have too much protein for Joshua when he started limping at a young age, so I changed. They were on Barking Heads for a while, salmon and potato, which suited them but when I got Diva she came with a big sack of RC maxi light, so I changed Ferdie on to it as well.

I have to say, whatever is in it, they have never been better. Their coats shine, their poo is solid and they like it fine.

But, as said, whatever suits your dog is what is best for him.

My vet has never pushed any sort of food on to me, and I have never asked about it. He stocks Hills, which I would not use because it made my retriever really ill.

12. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I have fed RC in the past and would feed it again.
    The dogs eat it with enthusiasm unlike some other foods.

I do think more people would feed RC but for the price tag:(

13. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Royal Canin?? Well as I raw feeder I've never used it, but I do remember when they brought out the breed specific foods :rolleyes: I was wearing my rottie hoodie the year they launched it at Crufts and I got nabbed by a lovely lady when I walked past the trade stand - hmm - I got asked to leave in the end due to my probing questions and the fact the lady couldnt answer them!:p

She told me it would make my rotties coats nice and soft, I suggested she read the breed standard as it called for a more harsh coat, lol!!

It also seemd to give a red rust tinge to a lot of rottie coats aswell! :rolleyes:

14. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

Quite a number of the RC diets have wheat in them so they should infact be a lot cheaper than they are!

I agree with the others in that not all diets suit all dogs. I feed Fish4dogs complete diets to my dogs but I finally came to feeding these years ago when I experienced a problem with feeding red meat to one of my dogs so I ended up investigating diets in general. The dry dog food index that someone referred to is quite useful. Generally, you do get what you pay for with the super premium diets. The reason that a food can be so expensive should be down to the ingredients. The expensive ones have good quality fish or meats as the first few ingredients listed and the cheaper ones have cereals as the first few ingredients listed. Fish or meats are always going to be more digestible than cereals so it stands to reason that these diets will be superior and better for your dog.

Sorry, I'm waffling now but feel passionate about decent feeding! Best of luck!:)

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I think the breed specific range is a bit of a con really. I haven't checked the ingredients, but I would bet they are all more or less the same. I don't see why a GSD should have different food to a goldie, say, just because of his breed.

The giant breed ones were always good for the newfie puppies, but they do fine on the maxi light, which is supposed to go up to 45 kg. I won't be changing again.

It certainly isn't cheap, but given that you get a 15 kg bag for £52 and Barking Heads is £41 for a 12 kg bag, it is more or less the same. It is also £10 cheaper online.

16. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I think the prices are phenomenal!!! :eek: Even I did wanna feed some complete, it deffo wouldnt be RC!!

Mebbes I shouldnt tsay this, lol, but a lot of rottie breeders got to try this after being approached by RC for a 'trial'. I noticed a lot of gangly, leggy, very tall pups in the ring that year, and the coats nearly all had thei red tinge - deffo put me off the stuff even more than I abore complete already, lol!

17. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

;)
    They are different, I can vouch for that I used the GSD with one of ours that had a sensitive stomach and yes it did make a big difference, I use the shih tzu for the tibetans as it gives them smaller firmer stools which when you have a show coat is a big big plus !!! Before anyone says I do help out on the stand at Crufts but only as someone who uses the food I don't work for Canin proper ;) as for the girl that was downstairs and tried to sell the rottweiler food she wouldnt have been a breeder rep, but probably one of the office girls who obviously got out of her depth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the breeder reps and those who really know the food are upstairs in the breeder lounge, they are doing a series of talks on their feeds at local training classes throughout the year, worth going along to listen to one even if you don't feed it, really explains about meat and protein content in foods and the like. :thumbsup:

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, if they were still growing, the protein content was probably forcing their joints to grow too fast. That is why I stopped feeding it to Joshua, as thought that might be the problem. If Diva hadn't come with a bag of it, and I saw what her waste was like (always been a problem with Ferdie) I probably would never have thought of using it again.

A bag costs £52 from the pet store and £43 online and it last a fortnight for these two. It is not cheap, certainly, but is not much different to all the others, like JWB.

19. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well, if they really are formulated for different breeds, that is great. If I ever had another giant breed puppy I probably wouldn't try anything else; there are not many companies that do a feed specifically for giant puppies, only for large breed puppies.

20. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

I never feed him RC because a lot of rottweiler breeders (including mine) said it was too expensive for its quality. All of them feed the dogs other super-premium or high-premium brands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice